Porter Hedges has grown from the strengths of individuals who represent a variety of viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds. We believe that diversity enhances the quality of our work and better enables us to understand our clients' needs in order to provide superior service.
Our goal is to attract, retain, and promote outstanding lawyers and professionals who reflect the marketplace, communities, and clients that we serve. We are committed to achieving greater diversity, not just for our firm but also for our profession.
Diversity Committee Mission Statement
To assess the Firm's strengths and shortcomings so that minority lawyers can reach their professional potential and achieve personal and professional satisfaction;
To heighten and cultivate the Firm's appreciation of the variety of backgrounds, personal characteristics and skills that contribute to a successful business and professional organization; and
To recommend strategic initiatives to recruit, support and retain attorneys from diverse backgrounds, and promote participation in activities supporting diversity in our community, including the following:
- Increase the number of women and minority attorneys working at the Firm primarily through recruiting and retention of attorneys;
- Identify minority and women attorney programs, organizations, and recruiting and marketing activities that the Firm should support; and
- Evaluate diversity initiatives in the legal profession on an on-going basis.
Diversity Committee in Action
The Porter Hedges Diversity Committee leads the effort to recruit, support, and retain attorneys from diverse backgrounds and promotes participation in activities supporting diversity in our community.
Porter Hedges has been involved with the following diversity organizations and events.
- Ephraim del Pozo, the Firm's Diversity Chairman, is the former President of the Mexican American Bar Association of Houston and is a former Director of the Hispanic Bar Association of Houston.
- Joyce Kao Soliman is the former President of the Asian American Bar Association of Houston.
- Supported the Asian American Bar Association of Houston’s Gala and Silent Auction, the Hispanic Bar Association of Houston’s President’s Day Luncheon and Gala, the Mexican American Bar Association of Houston’s Golf Tournament, the Mexican American Bar Association of Houston Gala, and the National Conference of Vietnamese American Attorneys.
- Hosted a networking reception to celebrate diversity in our legal community including the Asian American Bar Association of Houston, the Hispanic Bar Association of Houston, the Houston Lawyers Association, and the Mexican American Bar Association of Houston.
- The Firm is a member of the Houston Diversity Council, a 21 law firm council.
- Porter Hedges' Summer Associates participate in several diversity events, including the Houston Diversity Council’s Summer Associate Reception and firm-sponsored speaker luncheons featuring diverse leaders in our community.
- Participates in the HBA’s Minority Opportunities in the Legal Profession 1L Internship Program.
- Sponsors a reception for newly admitted minority students at South Texas College of Law and supports the South Texas College of Law’s Hispanic, Black, Asian Pacific American, South Asian, and Persian Law Students Associations, the University of Houston Law Center’s Hispanic, Black, and Asian Law Students Associations and Association of Women in Law, and the University of Texas School of Law’s Thurgood Marshall Legal Society, Women’s Law Caucus,Chicano/Hispanic, and Asian Law Students Associations.
- Sponsored the Council on Legal Education Opportunity's 40th Anniversary Reception and Awards Program.