Helping companies today that are finding solutions for tomorrow
Porter Hedges assists individuals and companies responding to the critical need for alternative energy sources by helping them assess opportunities available and developing and implementing their projects in the renewable energy industry. Our cross-disciplinary team of lawyers has formidable experience in this sector, and has provided counsel to emerging and established companies throughout the energy sector. We advise our clients from the initial stages of investment and tax strategies to the development, acquisition, financing, construction and operation of renewable energy projects.Businesses that explore, develop, produce, store, market, transport, process and use energy resources are the backbone of our economy. Every day they face decisions that have global impact and bet-the-company consequences.
You want lawyers who speak your language
Our clients are faced with new hurdles on a daily basis. Our lawyers help them achieve their goals by providing strategic counseling and assisting in the full range of development, finance and regulatory issues, including power purchase and marketing agreements, construction agreements, equipment purchase and sale agreements, licensing, and maintenance agreements. We advise on all phases of debt and equity financing, tax structuring, joint ventures, asset acquisition and disposition, permitting, environmental compliance, and real estate and land use matters. From a permitting and regulatory perspective, we constantly keep our clients informed of the ever-changing regulatory nature of this field and the status of applicable tax credits and other financial incentives along with renewable energy credits and market developments. If your company is developing an offshore field, pursuing a pipeline joint venture or selling electric power when the rules keep changing, you don't have time to educate your lawyer on the practical realities of the business. Someone who thinks that landmen don't own boats, or that seismic data predicts earthquakes, will be no help to you when you're up against the deadline for completing a farmout agreement or a regulatory filing. Your success depends on working with a lawyer who knows your business and understands your industry.
Porter Hedges provides full-service support to our renewable energy clients. We are capable of advising start-up companies on such issues regarding formation, employment, environmental, corporate structure, and technology protection. Once established, we continue our representation by assisting in the areas of governance, merger and acquisition, finance, development and acquisition opportunities and joint venture arrangements. Porter Hedges has the industry knowledge and legal skill to get the job done. Whether you need help with an acquisition, divestiture or merger, a complex project financing, a reserve base loan, a drilling fund, master service agreements, exploration agreements, a facilities construction contract, an equity or debt offering, or a lawsuit, Porter Hedges has the industry knowledge and legal skill to get the job done.
Our lawyers are engaged in various sectors of the renewable energy industry, including biomass, landfill gas-to energy projects and wind energy. Some of our projects include:
- Representation of developer in negotiation of project documents and bond financing for 45 MW biomass power generation facility in east Texas.
- Representation of landfill gas to electricity developer in all aspects of the development, construction and operation of over 100 MW of generation facilities, including negotiating and drafting power purchase agreements, development agreements, EPC contracts, interconnection agreements and O&M agreements.
- Representation of bidder in negotiation for the acquisition of wind assets in west Texas.
- Representation of developer of coal gasification technology in global joint venture agreements.
- Representation of lender in sale of 30 MW landfill gas and natural gas fueled plant in Illinois.
- Representation of land owner in negotiation of wind lease for approximately 1,000 acre property in Texas.
- Representation of developer of biogas to high btu gas processing facility in development and project financing of the facility.
- Representation of renewable electricity provider in connection with project financing for suite of five electric generation facilities.
- Representation of renewable energy company in development of biomass, coal-bed methane and wind projects.
- Representation of non-regulated subsidiary of major utility company in connection with the development of landfill gas pipeline project.