Dice: 0 Max Number: 1
Porter Hedges tax lawyers help businesses, exempt organizations, and individuals plan and achieve their financial objectives while maximizing their tax advantages. We integrate tax planning, transactional assistance, and tax controversy resolution in advising clients on all aspects of federal, state, local, and international taxation. Our tax lawyers regularly assist company owners and executives, chief financial officers, tax directors, bankers, outside accountants, and other advisors in creating sophisticated solutions for complex tax challenges.
Clients call upon our tax attorneys’ skills for a range of services, including:
- Entity formation
- Mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and reorganizations
- Financing transactions
- Employee and executive compensation plans and equity incentives
- Initial public offerings (IPOs)
- Tax-exempt organizations regarding federal and state regulations
- Estate planning, wills, and trusts
- Audits and other tax controversies
The tax implications of international and cross-border transactions have become increasingly important for U.S. companies doing business internationally and for foreign-based companies operating in the U.S. Clients doing business globally require attorneys who fully understand the tax laws of several countries, as well as bilateral and multilateral tax treaties.
Among the many international tax issues with which Porter Hedges tax attorneys regularly assist clients are:
- Cross-border and international business and real estate investments
- Multinational corporate groups and international joint-ventures
- International mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions
- International contract manufacturing relationships
- Planning for transfer pricing, foreign entity classification, foreign tax credits, foreign currency transactions, and profit repatriation
Oil & Gas Tax
Our attorneys assist upstream, midstream, and downstream oil, and natural gas companies develop the most effective tax strategies. We structure partnership and joint venture arrangements, applying sophisticated tax allocation and ownership strategies that offer maximum financial return while conforming to all regulatory requirements. Our lawyers are extremely knowledgeable about the complex laws governing tax treatment of royalties, net profit interests, and other interests generated by domestic and international operations.
- Entity formation whether a limited partnership, limited liability company, S Corporation, C Corporation, or a creative entity variation.
- Tax treatment for mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and reorganizations.
- Financing transactions, including 144A “for life” notes and various public placements of convertible debentures and units consisting of stock and warrants.
- Advise on the tax implications of employee and executive compensation plans and equity incentives.
- Advise on the tax implications of initial public offerings (IPOs).
- Assist private foundations, community organizations, professional and trade associations, and other tax-exempt organizations regarding federal and state regulation, obtaining exempt status from the IRS, and treatment of unrelated business taxable income.
- Provide counsel and documentation for estate planning, wills, and the many types of trusts.
- Handle audits and other controversies with the IRS and state and local tax authorities.
|05/08/15||News Alert: "Treasury Department Issues MLP Proposed Regulations on Qualifying Income"|
|Fall 2014||"Partnership Taxation - Recent Developments," Texas Tax Lawyer, Vol. 41, No. 2|
|04/19/12||"Tough Times And Tax Bombs: Coping With COD Income," Law360|
|2012||“Disposable Personal Goodwill, Frosty the Snowman, and Martin Ice Cream All Melt Away in the Bright Sunlight of Analysis,” Nebraska Law Review, Vol. 91, No. 1, p. 170|
|05/27/11||Client Alert: "Updated Guidance on Section 1603 Cash Grant Program"|
|04/14/06||"Structuring Deal to Reduce Tax Levels Can Help When Money's Due," Houston Business Journal|
|08/08/16||"Deal Watch: Two Firms Behind Bedding Industry Megamerger," The American Lawyer|
|08/04/16||"Norton Rose Fulbright, Porter Hedges Work on Pipeline Deal," Texas Lawyer|
|08/03/16||"Enbridge, Marathon Pay $2B For Bakken Pipeline Stake," Law360|
|08/03/16||"Enbridge Energy Partners, Marathon Petroleum to buy $2B stake in pipeline system," Houston Business Journal|
|08/03/16||"Porter Hedges, Norton Rose Fulbright and Weil Handle Multibillion-Dollar Deals," The Texas Lawbook|
|04/14/16||"EIV Uses Sidley, Porter Hedges for Sale of Energy Facilities," Texas Lawyer|
|02/18/16||"Norton Rose Fulbright and Porter Hedges Work on $48M Energy Services Deal," The Texas Lawbook|
|02/11/16||"Houston Lawyers Handle $48M Pipe Transaction," Texas Lawyer|
|04/15/15||"Law360 Names Attys Who Moved Up the Firm Ranks in Q1," Law360|
|03/30/15||"News Analysis: Tax Trouble in the Oil Patch," Tax Analysis|
|09/30/14||"The Laterals Audit: This Month's Tax Attorney Moves," Law360|
|09/12/14||"Porter Hedges Lands Former Bracewell & Giuliani Tax Partner," Law360|
|03/18/14||"Kirkland Reps Cardno In $145M Deal For Oilfield Service Biz," Law360|
|09/17/13||"Acon, Pritzker take stake in Sequitur for as much as $1B," The Deal Pipeline|
|08/29/08||"October 31st - Be Prepared for this Tax Deadline"|
|12/14/15||"M&A Issues Involving LLCs, Partnerships & Hybrids," Bloomberg BNA Conference on U.S. Taxation of Mergers & Acquisitions|
|05/19/15||"Partnership Divisions - Texas State and Federal Income Tax Law Considerations," Wednesday Tax Forum|
|01/30/15||"Financing Oil and Gas Operations," ABA Midyear Tax Section Meeting, Panelist|
|11/06/14||"Recent Developments in Cross Border Transactions and BEPS Proposals," 17th Annual Texas Bar International Tax Symposium|
|11/04/14||"Production Payments," TexFed: Oil & Gas Tax Conference|
|09/17/14||"Partnerships Taxation - Recent Developments," Houston Bar Association Taxation Section|
|08/29/14||"Current Developments in Partnership Taxation," 32nd Annual Advanced Tax Law Course, State Bar of Texas|
|07/10/14||“Exploring the Flexibility Offered by the TBOC Merger Provisions: The Tax Consequences of Partnership Divisions,” UT LAW CLE – LLCs, LPs and Partnerships Conference|
|03/25/14||"Is the Sun Setting on Private Equity: A Look at the First Circuit's Decision in Sun Capital," Houston Tax Roundtable (01/08/14); Wednesday Tax Forum|
|08/17/12||"Martin Ice Cream and Personal Goodwill," 30th Annual Advanced Tax Law Course,State Bar of Texas|
|02/28/12||"Personal Goodwill: Does it Exist? Can it Be Transferred Without Using a Horcrux?" Wednesday Tax Forum|
|10/28/11||“Restructuring and M&A in the Energy Sector: Tools, Techniques, and Select Domestic and International Issues,” 11th Biennial Parker C. Fielder Oil and Gas Tax Conference|
|02/09/11||“Personal Goodwill: Seller Beware,” Houston Tax Roundtable|
|11/14/07||“Too Much of a Good Thing: Fallout from the Carried Interest Scandal,” Houston Tax Roundtable|
|01/01/03||"Invisibility Cloaks for Corporations (Disregarded Entities in Corporate Transactions)," 26th Annual Tax & Business Planning Seminar, Houston|
|01/01/02||"Current Developments for Passthrough Entities: Partnership Profits Interests and Options," Houston Area Tax Forums|
|01/01/01||"Judicial Highlights," 24th Annual Tax Planning Seminar, Houston|
|01/01/99||"Business and Tax Considerations in Partnership Exit Strategies," 22nd Annual Tax Planning Seminar, Houston|
|01/01/98||"A Birdseye View of the M&A Tax Forest," Tax Executives Institute, Houston Chapter Tax School |
|01/01/97||"Tax Considerations When Structuring Mergers and Acquisitions," 20th Annual Tax Planning Seminar, Houston|
|01/01/96||"IP Tax Traps—What Every IP Lawyers Should Know," State Bar of Texas, Intellectual Property Law Institute, San Antonio|
|01/01/96||"Advances S Corporation Problems," Texas Society of CPAs, CPE Classes, Houston and San Antonio|
|01/01/95||"Intellectual Property: How to Play It Smart," 19th Annual Tax Planning Seminar, Houston|