J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1974
B.A., summa cum laude, Dartmouth College, 1968
Federal District Court Texas
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit
United States Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Dan Hedges is a partner in the litigation practice group of Porter Hedges. He has over thirty years of experience representing government agencies, public corporations, private companies, and individuals in:
- internal corporate and government investigations
- large commercial multi-party litigation
- employment litigation
- class action and shareholder derivative suits
- antitrust litigation
- qui tam litigation
Mr. Hedges is listed as one of America's leading lawyers in general commercial litigation by Chambers USA. In 2012, he was named among the world’s leading practitioners for Business Crime Defense by Who’sWhoLegal. He has also been selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America in commercial litigation since 2001 and has been selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers since 2003, including being named one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Houston in 2003 and 2004. In 2001, he was named “Impact Player of the Year” by Texas Lawyer. Mr. Hedges has been named one of the top business crimes defense lawyers in Texas for the past several years.
Mr. Hedges served as the chairman of Texas Senators John Cornyn and Kay Bailey Hutchison's Federal Judicial Evaluation Committee which screens prospective federal judges and U.S. Attorneys.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Hedges served as the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Texas from 1981-1985. While in the Justice Department, Mr. Hedges, Dan Webb, and Rudolph Giuliani co-founded the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force. He was selected as the Most Outstanding Young Lawyer in Texas for 1982-1983.
- Lead counsel in investigation by SEC, DOJ, EPA, FDA, HHS, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife.
- Lead counsel for KBR in a jury trial victory alleging rape, sexual harassment, and fraud.
- Legal counsel for a purchaser of a foreclosed company from a bank who was then sued (along with the bank) by investors in the foreclosed company.
- Lead counsel for a major corporation which purchased certain assets of a company and was sued by a commissioned sales representative whose sales agreements it did not purchase.
- Lead counsel for an internal corporate investigation of a purchasing agent who set up a sham broker to make individual profits on his employer's sales.
- Lead counsel for an internal investigation of a state agency accused of improprieties in its bidding procedures.
- Local counsel in a multi-state, multi-spill Clean Water Act case by the EPA/Justice Department.
- Lead counsel in numerous multi-party asbestos cases.
- Lead counsel for an oil and gas company which sued another oil and gas company for failure to drill a well.
- Lead counsel in two antitrust cases relating to the deregulated Texas power markets.
- Expert witness on attorneys' fees in proceedings before the Public Utilities Commission of Texas.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated Attorney
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Houston Bar Foundation, Sustaining Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation, Director
- YMCA of Downtown Houston, Board Member
- "Love in Law: Two Legendary Lawyer Couples Talk Life and Love," Texas Lawyer (02/16/15)
- "Porter Hedges Shows That a Midsize, Single-Office Firm Can Compete, and Win, Amid the Giants," Of Counsel Magazine (07/2011)
- "Firm Finance: Porter & Hedges," Texas Lawyer (04/25/11)
- "Porter & Hedges courts success by sticking with veteran attorneys, niche practices," Houston Business Journal (11/12/10)
- "Couple turn to green power for their home," Houston Chronicle (04/19/09)
- "Hewlett Packard Crisis: Two Major Failings," The National Law Journal (10/02/06)
- "Pro Bono: 'Thank You' Is Pay For Lawyers' Service," Houston Business Journal (02/09/04)
- "Service Firms Buzzing with Investigative Work," Houston Business Journal (12/05/03)
- "Special Report On 2001, Impact Players Of The Year: The Quest For Quality," Texas Lawyer (12/24/01)
- "Bench Scouts - Texans Impressed by Quality of Candidates Vetted by Senators' Committee," Texas Lawyer (10/08/01)
- "Preservation of Error," University of Houston Law School, Advanced Civil Trial Seminar, Houston and Dallas (08/17/06)
- "The Internal Investigation: Pitfall or Safety Net for Your Company?" seminar sponsored by KPMG and Porter & Hedges, Houston, Texas (10/08/03)
- "Internal Investigations," American Bar Association Litigation Sections Corporate Counsel CLE Seminar (02/01/03)