Mark E. Smith
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 2009
B.A.A.S., summa cum laude, Midwestern State University, 2005
Mark Smith is an associate in the litigation practice group of Porter Hedges. His practice involves all types of commercial litigation. Mr. Smith has represented clients in construction, oil & gas, commercial lending and other business disputes and litigation. He has also represented clients in white collar criminal investigations and prosecutions.
Prior to joining Porter Hedges, Mr. Smith was a police sergeant and has 20 years of law enforcement experience. While in law school, Mr. Smith was a member of the Houston Law Review, serving as Senior Notes & Comments Editor. Mr. Smith is also a Member of the Order of the Coif and Order of the Barons.
- Represented a major oil and gas industry tubing supplier in litigation related to failed tubular goods.
- Served as co-counsel for a former financial services executive whose wire fraud and conspiracy charges were dismissed.
- Argued and won summary judgment on contract and quasi contract claims brought against a lender by a construction contractor.
- Represented a residential developer and property management company in litigation brought by a lender related to residential apartment developments.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member