Robert G. Reedy
J.D., with honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1978
B.A., magna cum laude, The University of Texas at Austin, 1975
Rob Reedy is the managing partner of Porter Hedges and a partner in the corporate practice group. He is involved in a wide variety of corporate, securities and merger/acquisition transactions. Mr. Reedy’s practice focuses on public companies and emerging privately held entities that are building their business through acquisitions and financings such as public offerings and private equity transactions. In many cases, he coordinates all of the legal work for his clients as they build their businesses, acting as an advisor and “de facto” general counsel to them in that process.
Mr. Reedy’s current clients include businesses involved in energy exploration, production, service and transmission, alternative and renewable energy, energy industry technology, nutrition and manufacturing/distribution of a variety of products. Mr. Reedy also represents several investment banking firms who specialize in public and private securities offerings for companies in all phases of the energy industry. He has extensive experience in:
- initial public offerings
- secondary public offerings of equity and debt securities
- mergers, acquisitions and dispositions of public and private entities
- private equity fund acquisitions/divestitures
- formation, structuring and financing of new ventures
- joint venture and partnership formations and financings
- venture capital transactions
- leveraged recapitalizations
- preparation of SEC filings of all types
- executive employment agreements and compensation
- corporate governance and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements
- board and board committee issues
Mr. Reedy is recognized by Chambers USA as among the leading lawyers in Capital Markets: Debt & Equity, and he has been included in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of corporate law since 2009. He has also been selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers in Securities/Corporate Finance Law since 2003 and was named in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition in the area of Securities and Corporate Finance in 2008.
- Representation of the Special Committee of an exploration and production company in two shale acreage acquisition transactions with a combined value of more than $550 million.
- Representation of underwriters of an exploration and production company's $240 million public offering.
- Representation of an exploration and production company in a $193 million Gulf of Mexico acquisition and a $200 million senior note offering.
- Representation of underwriters of an exploration and production company's $250 million IPO focused on exploration, acquisition, and development of oil and natural gas resources in the Eagle Ford shale.
- Acquisition of assets from a public oil and gas company for $800 million using private equity and bank financing.
- Sale of Marcellus midstream assets to a private equity fund.
- Recapitalization and subsequent sale of a publicly traded energy exploration company, including private equity offerings, Rule 144A debt offering and new credit facilities.
- Sale of publicly held Texas retail energy provider to utility company.
- Multiple public and private offerings and acquisitions for publicly held waste company including a $1.5 billion acquisition of an industry competitor and related debt financings.
- Formation of new upstream and midstream energy companies funded by private equity sponsors.
- IPOs, secondary offerings and private placements for several Houston-based biotechnology companies.
- Initial public offering and private placements for a biomass gasification company.
- Representation of a biomass gasification company in Chinese investment transactions.
- Licensing, research and development and partnership agreements for biotechnology companies to in-license or out-license technology.
- Representation of equity sponsors in “buy and build” transactions.
- Representation of management of closed-end investment funds.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated
- American Bar Association, Section on Corporations, Banking and Business Law, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Business Law Section and Subcommittees on Investment Banking and Securities, Member
- Alley Theatre, President of the Board (2009-2013) and Board Member
- "Corporate Deal Tracker," The Texas Lawbook (05/11/17)
- "2017 New Partner Survey: Smaller First-Year Associate Classes During the Recession Leads to Fewer New Partners at Big Texas Firms," Texas Lawyer (03/01/17)
- "State of Texas Legal Market: It Isn't Just About Oil," Law360 (08/26/16)
- "PetroQuest Energy Announces Second Quarter 2016 Results," PetroQuest Press Release (08/01/16)
- "Q&A Interview: A Managing Partner Talks About Maintaining Client Relationships," Thomson Reuters (07/11/16)
- "Porter Hedges Sees Huge Revenue Growth," Texas Lawyer (03/16/15)
- "2014 was the Year of the Deal - Texas M&A Hit Record Levels," The Texas Lawbook (01/02/15)
- "Texas Firms Have Optimistic Outlook for 2015," Texas Lawyer (12/23/14)
- "Azure Takes Over BG Group, EXCO JV In $931M Deal," Law360 (10/17/13)
- "Exco, BG Group sell JV interests to Azure Midstream," The Deal Pipeline (10/17/13)
- "V&E, Porter Hedges and Baker Botts Advise in $910 Million Transaction," The Texas Lawbook (10/17/13)
- Porter Hedges Named Among Leading M&A Law Firms in Houston by the Houston Business Journal (08/09/13)
- "Meet Houston's Top Legal Dealmakers," Houston Business Journal (06/28/13)
- "Texas Firms Stand Their Ground Amid Merger Mania," Law360 (06/24/13)
- "New Midstream Co. Gets $300M From Kayne Anderson," Law360 (11/28/12)
- "Synthesis Energy Systems closes $15.5 Million Equity Investment," Finance Monthly (11/2012)
- "Heading Toward Year’s End, IPO Activity Sharpens," Oil and Gas Investor (10/08/12)
- "Outlook For Energy Company IPOs: As Crude Rises, New Issues Slow," Oil and Gas Investor (07/12/12)
- "Gross Revenue at BigTex Firms Inches Up in '11," Texas Lawyer (04/30/12)
- "Wider, Deeper Bonus Pool At Big Firms," Texas Lawyer (03/05/12)
- “IPOs in the Energy Sector,” Reuters – Legal Current (01/26/12)
- "LRR Energy and Pacific Drilling among new IPOs moving through filing pipeline," Houston Business Journal (11/18/11)
- "Oilpatch Technology Boosts IPO Pipeline," Oil and Gas Investor (11/18/11)
- "Shale Game Has PE Rushing to Boost Know-How," Law360 (11/16/11)
- “Energy Companies Fill Pipeline of Offerings,” Wall Street Journal (09/26/11)
- "Energy Companies Going Public," Energy BisNow (09/13/11)
- "Economic Uncertainty Not Slowing Houston Energy IPOs," Houston Business Journal (09/09/11)
- "Houston law firms ramp up hiring of midlevel attorneys," Houston Business Journal (06/03/11)
- "$100 oil here to stay, energy expert says," Houston Business Journal (05/19/11)
- "Corporate Reform Act Creates Windfall For Lawyers," Houston Business Journal (08/12/02)
- "Analysts Expect Turnaround for Weak IPO Market," Houston Business Journal (05/03/02)