The Firm recognizes that gender diversity is directly linked to increased creativity, productivity and financial success. That’s why the Firm is committed to promoting and advancing the careers of its women attorneys. To that end, the Firm established its Women’s Initiative program in 2008.
The Women’s Initiative pursues the following objectives:
- Recruit, retain and promote accomplished women attorneys;
- Realize increased women attorney participation in the Firm’s leadership;
- Mentor and empower young women attorneys and cultivate supportive relationships among the Firm’s women attorneys;
- Foster opportunities for the Firm’s women attorneys to connect and develop relationships critical to their professional success with clients and business and community leaders;
- Identify new Firm policy initiatives and review implementation of existing Firm policies to further the Firm’s commitment to gender diversity and equality; and
- Serve women in need in our community through volunteering, pro bono projects, charitable donation and otherwise.
Porter Hedges has signed the Houston Bar Association's Gender Initiative Commitment Statement that pledges an increase in various actions that promote gender fairness.
The Women’s Initiative sponsors all of the following activities in furtherance of its mission: in-house presentations and roundtable discussions of current issues confronting women attorneys (including work-life balance, the path to partnership, mentoring, improving client services); marketing and networking events with other women’s groups in our community; women client appreciation events, typically highlighting accomplished women speakers; regularly scheduled social and informal mentoring activities; and participation in the Firm’s summer clerk program.
Women attorneys serve on a number of Firm committees. In 2016, eleven women served on the Firm’s Diversity Committee, five women served on the Firm’s Recruiting Committee, and one of the Firm’s three practice groups was led by a woman. Over the past three years, 55% of promotions to partner have been women, which is among the highest in Texas. Women have also comprised the majority of law school summer associates and new associates over the past two years.
The Women’s Initiative is also dedicated to serving our community. The Women’s Initiative and Porter Hedges women attorneys have been involved with and served the following organizations:
- Asian American Bar Association
- Asian American Bar Foundation
- Association of Corporate Growth Women’s Events
- Association of Women Attorneys
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Casa de Esperanza
- Child Care Council of Greater Houston
- Defense Research Institute
- Dress for Success
- Houston Contractors Association
- Houston Food Bank
- Houston Urban Debate League
- Junior League of Houston
- National Association of Women in Construction - Houston Chapter
- Women’s Finance Exchange - Houston Chapter
- Women of Wardrobe, Dress for Success Houston
- Women’s Contractors Association