The Firm recognizes that gender diversity is directly linked to increased creativity, productivity, growth and financial success. That’s why the Firm is committed to promoting and advancing the careers of its women attorneys. To that end, the Firm established its Women’s Initiative program in 2008.
These are our objectives:
- Recruit, retain and promote accomplished women attorneys;
- Realize increased women attorney participation in the Firm’s leadership;
- Mentor and empower young women attorneys and cultivate supportive relationships among the Firm’s women attorneys;
- Foster opportunities for the Firm’s women attorneys to connect and develop relationships critical to their professional success with clients and business and community leaders;
- Identify new Firm policy initiatives and review implementation of existing Firm policies to further the Firm’s commitment to gender diversity and equality; and
- Serve women in need in our community through volunteering, pro bono projects, charitable donation and otherwise.
Porter Hedges has signed the Houston Bar Association's Gender Initiative Commitment Statement.
The initiative sponsors in-house presentations and roundtable discussions of current issues confronting women attorneys (including issues relating to law firm culture, the path to partnership, improving client services, and marketing and business development); marketing and networking events with other women’s groups; women client appreciation events highlighting accomplished women speakers; social and informal mentoring activities; and community service projects. Recent events:
- In April 2017, Ambassador Karen Hughes, former Counselor to the President under President George W. Bush, spoke about her government service to more than 140 women at a Firm client appreciation luncheon at The Briar Club;
- In May 2017, we sponsored a play day for children at a Casa de Esperanza residential facility;
- In June 2017, we successfully campaigned for a new parental leave policy which expanded the scope of the existing policy for men and Firm staff;
- In July 2018, we hosted a group at the River Oaks Theatre to watch the documentary about United States Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg; and
- In July 2018, the Firm launched a business development coaching program designed specifically for young women partners and senior associates.
Women attorneys serve on a number of Firm committees. In 2018, five women serve on the Firm’s Diversity Committee and seven serve on the Recruiting Committee. Women have comprised 50% of our law school summer associates over the past three years and 53% of the Firm’s associates are women. Since 2014, women have comprised 33% of all promotions to partner.
Porter Hedges women attorneys have been involved with and served the following organizations:
- Asian American Bar Association
- Asian American Bar Foundation
- Association of Corporate Growth Women’s Events
- Association of Women Attorneys
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Casa de Esperanza
- Child Care Council of Greater Houston
- Defense Research Institute
- Dress for Success
- Houston Contractors Association
- Houston Food Bank
- Houston Urban Debate League
- Junior League of Houston
- National Association of Women in Construction - Houston Chapter
- Women’s Finance Exchange - Houston Chapter
- Women of Wardrobe, Dress for Success Houston
- Women’s Contractors Association