J.D., cum laude, South Texas College of Law, 1991
B.S., cum laude, Stephen F. Austin State University, 1972
Randy King is Co-Chair of the Energy Section of Porter Hedges. His practice focuses on a wide range of energy-related projects located onshore, offshore, upstream, midstream and internationally, including:
- acquisitions, divestitures, construction and financing of pipelines, gathering systems and storage facilities for natural gas, crude oil, condensate, natural gas liquids and LNG
- acquisitions and divestitures of producing and non-producing oil and gas properties
- oil and gas joint ventures and exploration and development programs
- exploration and development project agreements including joint operating agreements, COPAS accounting procedures, exploration and development agreements and joint operating agreements
- natural gas purchase, sales and marketing agreements and NAESB agreements
- natural gas processing and treating agreements, oil and gas transportation agreements, natural gas storage agreements, natural gas supply agreements
- operating and maintenance agreements for mid-stream facilities
- production handling agreements
- master service agreements and IADC drilling contracts
- hedging, derivative, swap and ISDA agreements
- credit support annexes, cash collateral agreements and letters of credit
- master setoff and netting agreements
- reserve-based and mezzanine oil and gas producer and mid-stream financings
- seismic data licenses and acquisition agreements
Mr. King is listed in Chambers USA among the leading lawyers in the area of Oil & Gas Transactions. He has also been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America in Oil & Gas Law, Texas Super Lawyers in Energy & Resources, the Houston Business Journal's "Who's Who in Energy" list, and recognized by ALM as a "2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Energy/Environmental."
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Mr. King spent 13 years practicing as an independent petroleum landman. His experience included negotiating oil and gas leases, title examination, structuring oil and gas property acquisitions and exploration transactions. Mr. King has been a Certified Professional Landman since 1984.
- Representation of large US-based exploration company in deepwater Gulf of Mexico project to "tie back" oil and gas production from Big Bend and Dantzler projects to Thunder Hawk floating production facility.
- Representation of large US-based exploration company in deepwater Gulf of Mexico project to "tie back" oil and gas production from Gunflint project to Gulfstar One floating production system.
- Representation of US-based exploration company in design engineering and construciton of deepwater seafloor florolenes and umbilicals for tie back project.
- Representation of various US-based exploration company in drilling contracts for deepwater projects in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Representation of spill response consortium in its organization and in its contract with participants.
- Representation of large US-based exploration company in major Marcellus shale 15 year development project with another US-based company.
- Represented Canada-based exploration and production company in joint venture with Norway-based exploration and production company for Major Eagle Ford shale development project.
- Representation of major natural gas storage company in connection with numerous acquisitions, construction and operation of natural gas storage projects in depleted reservoirs, salt domes and other storage matrices including the purchase of the Katy Gas Storage Facility (Texas), the Freebird Gas Storage Facility (Alabama), and the Caledonia Gas Storage Facility (Mississippi).
- Represented US exploration company in approximate $300 million acquisition of Permian Basin resource trend acreage from private US seller.
- Representation of US exploration and production company in joint venture to develop natural gas and condensate midstream projects with large US midstream company in the Haynesville and Eagle Ford shale plays.
- Representation of Spain-based company in greenfield development of natural gas storage facility in the US.
- Representation of Canada-based company in greenfield connection of its Eagle Ford oil and gas production with numerous gas, crude and condensate transporters, processors and fractionations.
- Representation of Japanese banks in investment in project to add liquifaction to existing regasification plant on Texas coast.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated Attorney
- Houston Bar Association, Member of the Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Houston Association of Petroleum Landmen, Member
- American Association of Petroleum Landmen, Member
- Certified Professional Landman
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), Member
- "WaterBridge Resources secures $800 million for Permian Basin expansion," Houston Chronicle (12/21/18)
- "Noble Energy Closes Upstream Appalachia Sale," Noble Energy Press Release (06/28/17)
- "Deal of the Week: Noble Energy exits Marcellus in $1.2B deal, shifts onshore focus," Houston Business Journal (05/05/17)
- "Porter Hedges Handles Mega Oil Deal, Publishing Deal in Same Week," The Texas Lawbook (05/03/17)
- "Houston Energy co. sells Marcellus assets for more than $1B," Houston Business Journal (05/02/17)
- "Noble Energy Exits Marcellus Shale In $1.2 Billion Deal," Oil and Gas Investor (05/02/17)
- "Five Point Pledges $176M To New JV With Matador Resources," Law360 (02/21/17)
- "Porter Hedges, Latham Advise on Marcellus Joint Venture Split," Texas Lawyer (11/02/16)
- "Porter Hedges Advises Vantage Energy in Asset Purchase," The Texas Lawbook (06/03/16)
- "Enbridge Subsidiary Drops $160M On Eaglebine Assets," Law360 (02/09/15)
- "Energy GCs: More M&A, JVs, IPOs Expected in 2014," The Texas Lawbook (01/23/14)
- "Acon, Pritzker take stake in Sequitur for as much as $1B," The Deal Pipeline (09/17/13)
- "Porter Hedges promotes veteran lawyer to energy section co-chair," Houston Business Journal (08/22/13)
- “Law360 Ranks Largest Energy Practice Groups,” Law360 (02/10/12)
- "Joint Ventures Reach Record $12.3 Billion In 2011," Oil and Gas Investor (01/23/12)
- "Shale Game Has PE Rushing to Boost Know-How," Law360 (11/16/11)
- "Dealmaker of the Week: Size and Scope," Texas Lawyer (08/29/11)
- "$100 oil here to stay, energy expert says," Houston Business Journal (05/19/11)
- “Deconstructing the Indemnification Provision,” Oil & Gas Agreements: Contracting for Goods, Services, and People; Special Institute of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (05/02/13)
- "Insurance and Indemnity Clauses in Oilfield Contracts," South Texas College of Law. (09/10/08)
- "Gas Sales and Purchase Contracts from a Producer's Perspective" (02/21/08)
- "ISDA Master Agreements" (01/17/08)
- “Pooling Interests of the Forced Involuntary Variety,” AAPL Texas Land Institute (09/01/05)
- Land and Lease Issues from the Landowners Perspective, University of Houston Law Foundation Advanced Oil and Gas Short Course (02/01/05)
- “Document Retention And Destruction Policies In The Energy Industry: How To Cover Your Bases,” Document Retention and Destruction in Texas, Lorman Education Seminar (08/24/04)
- “Insurance and Indemnity Clauses in Oil & Gas Contracts,” American Association of Professional Landmen Annual Convention (June 30, 2004). (06/30/04)
- “Top ‘5’ Oil and Gas Leasing Issues from the Landowner’s Perspective,” Houston Association of Professional Landmen Spring Seminar (03/02/03)
- “Top Five Issues in Oil and Gas Leasing,” Houston Bar Association, Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section Meeting (03/01/03)
- “Land and Lease Issues from the Landowner’s Perspective,” University of Houston Law Foundation Advanced Oil and Gas Short Course (01/01/03)
- “Natural Gas Storage: A Landman’s Perspective,” Houston Association of Petroleum Landmen Seminar (12/01/00)