J.D., cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 1996
B.A., cum laude, Texas A&M University, 1992
Corey Brown is the leader of the corporate practice group of Porter Hedges LLP. He advises companies on a variety of corporate, company formation and commercial matters. Corey's practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic partnerships and private equity. His experience covers a broad spectrum of energy-related matters within the upstream, midstream, downstream and services sectors. He has particular experience in the midstream and energy services sectors, focusing on M&A and the formation of companies and joint ventures.
Merger and Acquisitions:
- Extensive experience in private merger, acquisition and sale transactions, including private equity, management and leveraged buy-outs, in many industries.
- Representation of Magnum Oil Tools International, LTD, a downhole technology provider, in its sale to Nine Energy Service, Inc., an oilfield services company, for total consideration of over $500 million.
- Representation of Archer Limited in its sale of AWC Frac Valves, a Texas-based manufacturer and service provider of frac valves, to a private equity fund for $30 million.
- Representation of CSI Inspection, L.L.C., a tubular inspection company, in its sale to National Oilwell Varco.
- Representation of Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. in the $2 billion sale of 36.75% of the Dakota Access and Energy Transfer Crude Oil pipelines to a joint venture owned by Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. and Marathon Petroleum Corporation.
- Representation of Sooner Inc., a member of Marubeni-Itochu Steel Group, one of the largest suppliers of Oil Country Tubular Goods in the US, in its acquisition of 100% of equity interests in CTAP, LLC.
- Representation of Kinder Morgan Inc. in the sale of its remaining 50 percent membership interest in Parkway Pipeline LLC to Valero Terminaling and Distribution Company.
- Representation of Kinder Morgan in the acquisition of a natural gas storage facility.
- Representation of Crestwood Equity Partners in the formation of a joint venture and sale down of Tres Palacios storage facility.
- Representation of American Energy – Permian Basin, LLC in the acquisition of assets in the Permian Basin for $2.5 billion.
- Representation of Cameron International Corporation in $375 million acquisition of LeTourneau Technologies Drillings Systems from Joy Global Inc.
- Representation of EPL Oil & Gas, Inc. in the purchase of oil and gas assets in the Gulf of Mexico from Hilcorp Energy Co. for $550 Million.
- Private placements of debt and equity for private and publicly held companies in many industries.
- Representation of private equity firms, including Sage Road Capital and Five Point Energy, in portfolio company formation and funding, M&A and general legal matters.
- Representation of private investors, including family offices, in company formation and funding, M&A and general legal matters.
- Representation of management teams for provide equity-backed companies, including Harvey Gulf International, RPM Energy and Jonah Energy, in company formation and funding and employment matters.
Infrastructure Joint Ventures:
- Representation of Kinder Morgan in the formation of $6 billion Northeast Expansion pipeline joint venture.
- Representation of Noble Energy in the formation of CONE Midstream joint venture with CONSOL Energy in the Marcellus Shale.
- Representation of Southern Liquefaction Co. LLC, a Kinder Morgan company and unit of El Paso Pipeline Partners LP, in the formation of a joint venture with Shell US Gas & Power LLC to develop an LNG export plant with about 2.5 million tonnes/year in liquefaction capacity at Southern LNG Co. LLC’s existing Elba Island LNG terminal near Savannah, Ga.
- Representation of Kinder Morgan Energy Partners in $220 million joint venture with Valero Energy Corp for the development of a fuel supply pipeline in Mississippi and Louisiana.
- Representation of Kinder Morgan Partners in the formation of $3.4 billion Midcontinent Express Pipeline joint venture.
- Representation of Kinder Morgan Partners in the formation of $1.3 billion Fayetteville Express Pipeline joint venture.
- Representation of Kinder Morgan Partners in the formation of the Cypress Interstate Pipeline joint venture.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas, Business Law Section, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- "Kirkland, Porter Hedges aid on Nine’s $493M purchase of Magnum," The Texas Lawbook (10/24/18)
- "Kirkland Steers Nine Energy in $493M Magnum Oil Deal," Law360 (10/19/18)
- "Houston-based energy services co. makes $500M deal after recent IPO," Houston Business Journal (10/15/18)
- "Brookfield Public Securities Group Completes Acquisitions of Center Coast Capital and Certain Assets of Liberty Street Advisors and HRC," Globe Newswire (02/05/18)
- "Five Firms Handle Texas Energy Acquisition, Related Transactions," Texas Lawyer (11/29/17)
- "Black Stone Minerals, L.P. Announces $340 Million Acquisition of Mineral and Royalty Interests and Private Placement of Cumulative Convertible Preferred Units," Black Stone Minerals News Release (11/27/17)
- "Noble Energy selling more assets in $340M deal," Houston Business Journal (11/27/17)
- "Brookfield Asset Management’s Public Securities Group Acquires Center Coast Capital Holdings, LLC," GlobeNewswire (10/10/17)
- "Brookfield to buy Houston-based investment firm focused on energy infrastructure," Houston Business Journal (10/10/17)
- "Coral Reef Invests in Oil and Gas Company Krewe Energy," PE Hub Network (01/09/17)
- "Deal Watch: Two Firms Behind Bedding Industry Megamerger," The American Lawyer (08/08/16)
- "Norton Rose Fulbright, Porter Hedges Work on Pipeline Deal," Texas Lawyer (08/04/16)
- "Enbridge, Marathon Pay $2B For Bakken Pipeline Stake," Law360 (08/03/16)
- "Enbridge Energy Partners, Marathon Petroleum to buy $2B stake in pipeline system," Houston Business Journal (08/03/16)
- "Porter Hedges, Norton Rose Fulbright and Weil Handle Multibillion-Dollar Deals," The Texas Lawbook (08/03/16)
- "Valero Acquires 100 Percent Ownership of Parkway Pipeline," GlobeNewswire (07/12/16)
- "Norton Rose Fulbright and Porter Hedges Work on $48M Energy Services Deal," The Texas Lawbook (02/18/16)
- "Houston Lawyers Handle $48M Pipe Transaction," Texas Lawyer (02/11/16)
- "Porter Hedges, Baker Botts Work $500 Million Energy Deal," Texas Lawyer (12/11/14)
- "Baker Botts and Porter Hedges Close $460 Million Investment," Texas Lawbook (12/03/14)
- "PE-Backed American Energy Raises $500M For Shale Buys," Law360 (12/01/14)
- "Deal of the Week: Baker Botts, Porter Hedges Handle Eagle Ford Shale Deal," Texas Lawyer (11/03/14)
- "Oil Co. Issues $300M Offering Amid Eagle Ford Asset Buy," Law360 (10/28/14)
- "American Energy - Permian Basin, LLC Announces Closing Of Permian Basin Acquisition And $1.6 Billion Senior Notes Offering," MarketWatch (08/01/14)
- "$2.5 Billion Deal for Permian Basin Energy Assets," Texas Lawyer (06/16/14)
- "American Energy Partners Drops $4B For Shale Stakes," Law360 (06/09/14)
- "Porter Hedges Leads Two Aubrey McClendon Shale Deals for $4.25 Billion,” Texas Lawbook (06/09/14)
- "Shale Mania a Boon to Half-Dozen Firms," American Lawyer (06/09/14)
- "Energy GCs: More M&A, JVs, IPOs Expected in 2014," The Texas Lawbook (01/23/14)
- Porter Hedges Named Among Leading M&A Law Firms in Houston by the Houston Business Journal (08/09/13)
- "EPL Pays $550M For Hilcorp's Shallow-Water Gulf Oil Fields," Law360 (09/17/12)
- "Andrews Kurth & Porter Hedges Advise $550 Million EPL-Hilcorp Deal," The Texas Lawbook (09/17/12)
- “Law360 Ranks Largest Energy Practice Groups,” Law360 (02/10/12)
- "Shale Game Has PE Rushing to Boost Know-How," Law360 (11/16/11)
- "$100 oil here to stay, energy expert says," Houston Business Journal (05/19/11)
- "Joint Ventures as a Means to Build the Energy Future," Energy Bar Association Annual Meeting (05/05/11)