J.D., South Texas College of Law, 2008
B.S.E.C.E., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Minor in Mathematics, Baylor University, 2003
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
David is a partner in the Real Estate section. He represents developers, lenders, borrowers, and other individuals and entities in all areas of real estate and real estate finance, including acquisitions and divestitures, leasing matters, joint venture agreements, entity formation and structuring matters, and construction contract documentation.
His finance experience includes counseling lenders in permanent, bridge and construction financings and representing borrowers in permanent, agency, commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) and mezzanine loans and in structuring and negotiating preferred equity investments. He also has significant experience advising investors and developers in the multi-family space.
Commercial Real Estate
- Represented commercial developer client in the acquisition of approximately 60 acres in Conroe, Texas, with the right to acquire an additional 60 acres, from a bank’s REO portfolio. The transaction included the concurrent sale of a portion of the acquired acreage containing existing improvements to a third party pursuant to a separate purchase and sale agreement, the negotiation, negotiation of multiple easements for drainage and development purposes, and the review and negotiation of loan documentation for the loan funding the acquisition.
- Represented multi-family developer client in acquisition, development and financing of a new 300-unit, Class A multi-family development (consisting of approximately 270,000 square feet of floor area) in Austin, Texas. The financing portion of the transaction included the negotiation of a senior construction loan and preferred equity investment.
- Represented multi-family developer client in the acquisition of acreage on the Grand Parkway for the future construction of a multi-family development. The transaction included the negotiation and drafting of numerous easements and restrictive covenants.
- Represented retail developer client in the acquisition of commercial acreage in Fulshear, Texas. The transaction involved the concurrent acquisition of adjoining land by a grocery store operator, drafting an option to purchase an unused portion of the grocery store site, the negotiation of numerous agreements with the grocery store operator, the negotiation of loan documentation for the loan financing the acquisition, and the concurrent sale of a portion of the acquired land to a third party (with the option to reacquire said land in the future).
- Represented homebuilder client in the sale of approximately 19 acre commercial tract adjoining residential development to Costco.
- Represented national big box tenant client in the drafting and negotiation of multiple leases to execution, including for stores in Greenville, South Carolina; Alexandria, Louisiana; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Represented firm client as sublandlord in negotiation and drafting of sublease for approximately 155,000 square feet in the West Loop submarket of Houston, Texas.
- Represented firm client as tenant in the negotiation of an office lease for approximately 74,000 square feet in the energy corridor submarket of Houston, Texas.
- Represented firm client as tenant in the negotiation of an office lease for approximately 43,000 square feet in the West Loop submarket of Houston, Texas.
- Represented landlord (retail developer) in the negotiation of a ground lease in a new retail development with a large commercial bank in Cypress, Texas and in multiple inline leases to national and regional tenants in a new retail development in Fulshear, Texas.
- Represented commercial bank client in $55,000,000 construction loan for the construction and development of a 300-room Delta Hotel and 90,000 square feet of convention and meeting space in Allen, Texas.
- Represented commercial bank client as lender, administrative agent, sole lead arranger and sole bookrunner in connection with $39,750,823 syndicated loan to finance the construction of a new 270 apartment, Class A multi-family development (containing approximately 348,000 square feet of floor area in 15 buildings) outside of Nashville, Tennessee.
- Represented commercial bank client in connection with two loans to same sponsor group in the amounts of $21,000,000 and $16,600,000 to finance the acquisition and repositioning of two existing, stabilized student housing multi-family assets in College Station, Texas and Waco, Texas.
- Represented bridge lender client in connection with $3,000,000 loan to student housing developer in College Station, Texas, to finish the build out of commercial space serving a wake board lake and pool/entertainment venue.
- Represented multi-family developer client in connection with refinancing of construction loan into $8,500,000 mezzanine loan and $21,000,000 mortgage loan. The transaction included the restructuring of the project entity into a multi-tiered structure to satisfy lender requirements.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member
- "Construction Lending: The Golden Rule," Porter Hedges Construction Lending Program (04/27/17)
- "Tax & Legal Implications," Blueprint for Success: Planning and Building Your Ideal Dental Practice (06/20/14)