J.D., magna cum laude, Pepperdine University School of Law, 2005
B.A., magna cum laude, Seattle Pacific University, 2002
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
Eric English is a partner in the corporate practice group and bankruptcy section of Porter Hedges. He has a diverse restructuring and bankruptcy practice, including the representation of debtors, secured lenders, creditors' committees and asset purchasers. Eric has significant experience in a number of industries including energy, healthcare, real estate, financial services, mining, construction, and solar energy.
Eric previously clerked for the Honorable Harold R. DeMoss, Jr. on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Chambers USA recognizes Eric as one of the leading lawyers in the Bankruptcy/Restructuring field. He has been selected for inclusion in Texas Rising Stars from 2013-2018.
- Debtors' counsel in In re Neighbors Health, LLC (Bankr. S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel to DIP Notes Trustee in In re Toys "R" Us, et al. (Bankr. E.D. Va.)
- Counsel to Ch. 11 Creditor Trustee in In re Linc Energy, et al. (Bankr. S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel for Creditors Committee in In re Montco Offsore, Inc., et al. (Bankr. S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel for secured lender in In re Uplift Rx, LLC. (Bankr. S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel for purchaser of oil and gas assets in In re Alpha Natural Resources for $339.5 million (Bankr. E.D. Va.)
- Counsel for secured noteholders and purchasers of assets in In re Linc USA GP, et al. (Bankr. S.D. Tex.)
- Texas counsel for Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in In re Breitburn Energy Partners, L.P. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.)
- Counsel to purchaser of assets in In re Osage Exploration and Development, Inc. (Bankr. D. Okla)
- Texas Counsel for Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in In re Sabine Oil & Gas, Corp., et al. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.)
- Debtor’s counsel in Milagro Exploration, LLC, et al. (Bankr. D. Del.)
- Debtor’s counsel in KiOR, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.)
- Counsel for various secured and unsecured creditors in numerous Chapter 11 cases, including Northstar Offshore Group, LLC; Humble Surgical Hospital, LLC; Linn Energy, LLC; Midstates Petroleum Company, Inc.; Magnum Hunter Resources Corp., et al.; Quicksilver Resources, Inc. et al.; New Gulf Resources, LLC; Black Elk Energy Offshore Operations, LLC; Energy & Exploration Partners, Inc.; Samson Resources Corp.
- Counsel to equity sponsor in In re Juniper GTL, LLC (Bankr. S.D. Tex.)
- Debtor’s counsel in In re Spectrawatt, Inc. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.)
- Debtor’s counsel in Bigler, LP (Bankr. S.D. Tex.)
- Counsel to former officers and directors of Lyondell Chemical Corporation in the defense of fraudulent conveyance and breach of fiduciary duty claims. (S.D.N.Y.)
- Counsel to Montana Resources, Inc. in defense of claims asserted by ASARCO, LLC (S.D. Tex.)
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Houston Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Turnaround Management Association
- Federalist Society
Recent Speaking Engagements
- "Crisis in the Oil Patch: Restructuring Hot Topics," Dallas Bar Association (June 2016)
- “Climbing Out of the Holes We’ve Drilled: Reorganizing E&P Oilfield Service Companies,” University of Texas 34th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference (11/13/15)
- “Purchasing Assets in Oil & Gas Bankruptcy Cases,” Advanced Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Seminar (10/02/15)
- Collier on Bankruptcy Taxation, Contributing Author responsible for Ch. 1 and Ch. 4. (2011-present)
- Energy Alert: "Bankruptcy Court Rejects Midstream Contracts" (March 2016)
- "Buying and Selling Oil & Gas Assets in Bankruptcy Cases" (October 2015)
- Fifth Circuit Refuses to Adopt “Artificial Impairment” Standard to Reverse Confirmation of Chapter 11 Single Asset Real Estate Plan, Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law (June 2013).
- Bankruptcy Court Surprises Observers and Transfers Venue of Patriot Coal Chapter 11 Cases to Missouri, Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law (Feb./Mar. 2013).
- Collier Bankruptcy Practice Guide, Contributing Author. (2012)
- Eric English on Supreme Court Opinion and Dissent in Hall v. United States, LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis, 2012 Emerging Issues 6405 (June 2012), available at 2012 U.S. LEXIS 3781 (May 14, 2012).
- “Recent Developments Regarding Releases, Exculpation Provisions and Presenting Claims in a Plan,” Texas Advanced Business Bankruptcy Course (co-author) (September 2012)
- “Releases in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Plans,” Texas Advanced Business Bankruptcy Course (co-author) (September 2011)
- “Director and Officer Duties In and Out of Bankruptcy,” Oklahoma State Bar Association 25th Annual Advanced Bankruptcy Seminar: Riding the Bankruptcy Tsunami (co-author) (December 2010)
- “Overview of the Claims Process and Avoidance Litigation Including Motions for Relief from Stay,” State Bar of Texas Business Bankruptcy 101 Course (co-author) (June 2010)
- Texas Bankruptcy Court Rejects Chapter 11 Debtors’ Request to Sell All of Their Assets and Calls for Fifth Circuit to Clarify Legal Standard, LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis, 2009 Emerging Issues 3629 (May 2009), cited in 3 Collier on Bankruptcy ¶ 363.02 (16th ed. 2010).
- “Current Developments And A Practical Approach To Bankruptcy Tax Matters,” University of Texas 27th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference (November 2008)
- You Have the Right To Remain Silent. Now Please Repeat Your Confession: Missouri v. Seibert and the Court's Attempt To Put an End to the Question-First Technique, 33 Pepp. L. Rev. 423 (2006), cited in Wilkerson v. State, 24 A.3d 703 (Md. 2011) and numerous secondary sources.
- "Cowboys Dancehall loses foreclosure battle in court," Houston Chronicle (09/21/16)
- "PetroQuest Energy Announces Second Quarter 2016 Results," PetroQuest Press Release (08/01/16)
- "Houston Bankruptcy Law Firms Beef Up to Handle Uptick of Energy Bankruptcies," Houston Business Journal (07/08/16)
- "Porter Hedges Advises Vantage Energy in Asset Purchase," The Texas Lawbook (06/03/16)
- "Red Bluff Wins Ch. 11 Auction for Osage with $8.4M Bid," Law360 (03/25/16)
- "Milagro Oil & Gas Ch. 11 Plan Gets Green Light from Judge," Law360 (10/08/15)
- "Milagro Gets Green Light For White Oak Restructuring Pact," Law360 (08/18/15)
- "Porter Hedges Brings on Bankruptcy Expert Eric English as a Partner," The Texas Lawbook (07/23/15)
- "Milagro Oil Gets Interim Approval Of $15M DIP," Law360 (07/17/15)
- "Milagro Hits Ch. 11 With Plans For $217M White Oak Deal," Law360 (07/16/15)
- "Porter Hedges Adds Ex-King & Spalding Bankruptcy Pro," Law360 (06/18/15)