James S. Richards
J.D., cum laude, Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law, 2011
B.A., with highest honors (summa cum laude), History, University of Texas at Austin, 2008
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
James Richards is an associate in the litigation practice group of Porter Hedges with a focus on construction law and commercial litigation.
James has represented individuals and corporations in a variety of matters ranging from defective construction, to business disputes, to real estate, to director and officer liability. His trial experience includes both jury and bench trials. Additionally, James has significant experience representing property owners associations, contractors, and business owners throughout the State of Texas. He was selected to the Texas Rising Stars list in 2018 for Civil Litigation: Defense.
James received his B.A. from the University of Texas at Austin with highest honors (summa cum laude) and his J.D. from SMU Dedman School of Law, cum laude. While in law school, he was nominated for the Judge John Kennedy Scholarship for Outstanding Contribution to the Law School, received several moot court awards, earned Dean's List recognition, and was an active participant in the Legal Clinic Program. Through his work in the clinic program, James tried a case in Dallas County Court at Law to a jury verdict while still in law school. He also served as Articles Editor for SMU's International Law review, was named a member of Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Society, and served as a legal intern for the State of Texas Attorney General's Office.
James is a frequent contributor to the Porter Hedges Construction Law Blog.
- Represented high-rise condominium community and obtained successful settlement in dispute regarding construction defects resulting in water intrusion via the stucco, windows, and balconies
- Trial on fraudulent conveyance of real estate resulting in successful verdict for client including the award of attorney’s fees
- Obtained summary judgment finding for client in large multi-party dispute regarding roofing products, warranty claims, installation, and oversight
- Successful resolution via out of court settlement to fraudulent lien matter
- Obtained summary judgment for client in DTPA and breach of fiduciary duty matter
- Secured temporary restraining order(s), temporary injunction(s), and permanent injunction(s) for multiple clients
- Prepared and successfully argued numerous trial and pre-trial motions on behalf of clients and seen numerous cases through resolution, including both via trial and alternate dispute resolution methods.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member
- Texas Young Lawyers Association, Member
- Construction Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Community Association Institute (CAI), Member & Contributing Author
- Houston Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA), Member
- Phi Beta Kappa, Contributing Member
- Texas Bar College, Member