J.D., cum laude, University of San Francisco, 1994
B.B.A., with honors, The University of Texas, 1990
Joel Goldberg is a partner in the property, finance and energy practice group of Porter Hedges. He has over twenty years of experience both as general counsel to a renewable energy company and in private practice advising clients on energy and infrastructure projects and real estate transactions.
Joel’s energy and infrastructure-related experience includes engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, land rights agreements, offtake agreements, fuel supply agreements, operations and maintenance contracts, energy-related joint ventures, sales and acquisitions, and project financing for power plants, renewable natural gas, gas-to-liquids and LNG facilities. His power project work includes fossil-fuel, renewable and waste-derived fuel projects. Within the renewables sector, he has worked on over fifty landfill-gas-to-energy projects and is recognized as a leading authority in all aspects of the development, financing, operations, sales and acquisition of these types of facilities.
Joel also has significant experience in complex real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, commercial leases, real-estate based financings, joint ventures, and development work. He has represented a wide range of clients, including, developers, lenders, REITs, big-box tenants, real estate funds, private equity firms and institutional investors in the real estate sector.
- Representation of publicly-traded energy company in leasing of 218,000 square feet of office space in The Woodlands to serve as the main office for its Eagle Ford shale development program.
- Representation of major real estate development company in refinance of its shopping mall and office property credit facilities.
- Representation of large REIT in leasing of office/retail space for four large Houston-area office complexes.
- Representation of various Houston-based developers in the acquisition, development and leasing of over 1,000,000 square feet of retail and office space.
- Representation of Houston-based developer during the past year in the acquisition of a 46,000 square foot industrial building.
- Representation of large national industrial company in leasing of 100,000 square foot industrial/office space in Houston.
- Representation of developer with respect to project development and financing of a gas-to-liquids project in Louisiana.
- Representation of public company in global joint venture for coal gasification to power plants.
- Representation of private equity fund in comprehensive due diligence for acquisition of companies owning two large landfill-gas-to-energy projects and in negotiating EPC contracts for major expansion of both projects.
- Representation of acquirer of four electric power plants in Texas in the redevelopment of the power plants.
- Representation of developer in negotiation of project documents and bond financing for 45 MW biomass power generation facility in East Texas.
- Representation of landfill gas to electricity developer in all aspects of the development, construction and operation of over 100 MW of generation facilities, including negotiating and drafting power purchase agreements, development agreements, EPC contracts, interconnection agreements and O&M agreements.
- Representation of purchaser of 150 MW portfolio of power projects located across the United States.
- Representation of Australian listed fund in stock purchase of companies owning six landfill gas-fueled plants in the Houston area.
- Representation of purchaser of company owning an 80 MW combined-cycle power plant in Texas.
- Representation of lender in sale of 30 MW landfill gas and natural gas fueled plant in Illinois.
- Representation of land owner in negotiation of wind lease for approximately 1,000 acre property in Texas.
- Representation of a purchaser of company owning a 75 MW natural gas fired generation facility in New York.
- Representation of renewable electricity provider in connection with project financing for suite of five electric generation facilities.
Professional / Civic Affiliations