John A. Irvine
J.D., Memphis State University, 1972
B.S., Auburn University, 1969
United States Supreme Court
United States Tax Court
United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit
United States District Court Southern, Western, Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas
United States District Court Western and Middle Districts of Tennessee
John Irvine is Senior Counsel in the litigation practice group of Porter Hedges. He has more than 46 years of experience representing corporations, partnerships, and individuals in complex litigation and arbitration matters, including antitrust, securities, intellectual property, insurance, real estate, tax, white collar criminal defense, and governmental and internal corporate investigations.
John has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in litigation in both state and federal courts throughout the United States and in Europe. He has also arbitrated securities, commercial, intellectual property and employment matters before tribunals of the American Arbitration Association, the National Association of Securities Dealers, the International Chamber of Commerce, and the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board.
For three years, he served as Assistant General Counsel-Litigation for The Mead Corporation, then a FORTUNE 150 company, resolving an antitrust class action, as the lead counsel in an antitrust case brought by the European Commission, managing Mead's litigation and supervising its antitrust and other compliance programs. Prior to that, John was a prosecutor and tried more than 125 felony jury trials to verdict. He also served as a law clerk to Judge Harry W. Wellford in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee.
John has been included in The Best Lawyers in America®, Texas Super Lawyers in Business Litigation and has been listed in Who's Who in the World, Who's Who in America, Who's Who in American Law, and Who's Who in the Southwest for more than 25 years. John has also been featured in issues of Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition Magazine for Business Litigation.
Since becoming Senior Counsel and working part-time, John has focused his practice on the representation of companies, audit committees and individual officers, directors and employees in governmental and internal investigations and related civil and criminal litigation, including substantial FCPA experience.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated Attorney
- Member Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation
- State Bars of Texas and Tennessee, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member (Director, Antitrust Section 1990); Treasurer, Securities Litigation & Arbitration Section, 2011 -
- American Bar Association, Member of Litigation Section (Intellectual Properties Litigation Committee, Co-Chair, 1996-1999; Strategic Planning Task Force, 1999-2000; Trial Practice Committee, Co-Chair, 2000-2003; Task Force on the Judiciary, 2003-2004; Committee on Corporate Counsel, Vice Chair, 1989-1991)
- Federal Bar Association, Member of South Texas Chapter (President, 2001)
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association Foundation, Life Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- U.S. Chambers of Commerce, former Member of the Council on Antitrust Policy for over 20 years