Joshua W. Wolfshohl
J.D., cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 2002
B.A., The University of Texas, 1997
United States District Court Western and Southern Districts Texas
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
Joshua Wolfshohl is a partner in the corporate practice group and bankruptcy section of Porter Hedges. His practice focuses on corporate reorganizations and restructurings, acquisitions within the bankruptcy context, bankruptcy litigation and creditors' rights. His experience includes representing trustees, plan agents and corporate clients in cases involving complex commercial litigation and a wide range of bankruptcy issues, including institutional and corporate creditors in some of the country's largest Chapter 11 cases. Joshua's experience also includes general civil litigation in both federal and state courts, including appeals before federal and state appellate courts.
Chambers USA recognizes Joshua among the leading lawyers in Bankruptcy/Restructuring law in Texas. He was also selected for inclusion in Texas Rising Stars from 2007-2013, Texas Super Lawyers from 2013-2018 and The Best Lawyers in America in 2018.
Joshua previously served as the judicial law clerk to the Honorable Wesley W. Steen of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas, a judicial intern to the Honorable Manuel E. Leal of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas and an intern for the Office of the United States Trustee in Houston Texas.
- Debtors' counsel in the confirmed Chapter 11 cases of University General Health System, Inc., et al., Diabetes America, Inc., Bison Building Holdings, Inc., et al., Eagle Geophysical, Inc., et al., Superior Offshore International, Inc., Easy Gardener Products, Ltd., et al., Doctors Hospital 1997, L.P., Southwest Grain Co., et al., and others.
- Representation of post-confirmation plan agents and liquidation trustees in several complex chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of Chapter 11 Trustee in Brown Medical Center, Inc., Endeavour Highrise, L.P., Urban Mall Houston, L.P. and Caltex Holdings, L.P.
- Representation of Chapter 7 Trustees in connection with bankruptcy litigation and matters related to estate liquidation and administration.
- Representation of secured creditors and debtor-in-possession lenders in reorganizations of Buccaneer Resources LLC, et al., Star Resources, Inc., Resource Technology Corp. and others.
- Representation of various energy services companies in bankruptcy cases throughout the country.
- Representation of “stalking horse” bidders in various bankruptcy cases throughout the country.
- Successful representation of numerous clients in appeals before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States District Court.
- Successful litigation of numerous cases to trial in bankruptcy court.
- Representation of private equity firms in various bankruptcy related transactions, including the acquisition of oil and gas assets located throughout the country.
- Representation of commercial and residential construction companies in numerous bankruptcy proceedings throughout the country.
- Representation of an international financial institution in a variety of bankruptcy litigation matters.
- Representation of several midstream and upstream energy companies in bankruptcy cases of SemCrude, L.P., Reichmann Petroleum Corp. and Freedom Pipeline, LLC.
- Representation of ad hoc group of property owners and club members in Utah 7000, L.L.C., et al., bankruptcy cases.
- Representation of Asbestos Future Claims Representative in ABB Lummus Global Inc. bankruptcy case.
- Representation of Chapter 11 examiner in Morningstar Gas, Inc. case.
- Representation of Bridgeline Holdings, L.P. in connection with preference litigation in Borden Chemicals and Plastics Operating Limited Partnership bankruptcy case.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in connection with drafting and preparing opinion letter for $80 million financing transaction.
- Representation of venture capitalists in bankruptcy dispute regarding patents on cutting edge fiber technology.
- Representation of several clients in connection with out of court asset sales and acquisitions.
- Representation of preference defendants in bankruptcy cases throughout the country.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- University of Houston Law Foundation, Board Member
- "Official and Ad Hoc Committees: Getting in Ethically," 33rd Annual Course - Advanced Business Bankruptcy (06/23/16)
- "Chapter 7 Trustees - Their role, duties," Souther District of Texas Bankruptcy Bench Bar Conference (04/21/16)
- "Direct Appeal to the Fifth Circuit - A Change to the Bankruptcy Code," Houston Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section (02/27/08)
- "Rule 9019: Compromise of Controversies in Bankruptcy" (02/01/07)
- "Preparing Corporate Defendants for Deposition," Houston Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Committee (10/01/06)
- "Post-Confirmation Issues," Advanced Business Bankruptcy, State Bar of Texas (05/01/06)