J.D., cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 2007
B.B.A., summa cum laude, Managerial Accounting, Harding University, 1997
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
United States District Court Southern District of Texas
Blake Runions is a partner in the litigation practice group of Porter Hedges. His practice focuses on representing clients involved in a range of business disputes and investigatory matters, including partnership disputes, internal investigations, and commercial litigation. His trial experience includes jury trials in both state and federal courts as well as arbitration proceedings.
Prior to joining the Firm, Blake worked in the accounting, finance, and business assurance groups at a major international oil and gas company in Houston, where he was involved in financial reporting, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, and merger and acquisition accounting. Blake draws upon this experience to represent clients involved in complex business disputes as both plaintiffs and defendants.
Blake has completed the National Institute of Trial Advocacy's (NITA) National Trial Skills Program and NITA's regional Deposition Skills Program.
While in law school, Blake served as Notes and Comments Editor of the Houston Law Review, was a member of the Order of the Barons, and was champion of the Lorrance & Thompson Negotiation competition and the Tom Newhouse Mediation competition, and finalist in the Blakely-Butler Moot Court competition. Additionally, he served as an intern with the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Lead trial counsel for plaintiff E&P company in arbitration regarding title to mineral rights. Obtained arbitration award in favor of client.
- Trial counsel in federal court bench trial regarding breach of services contract in the oil services industry.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and temporary injunction for pipeline owner against excavator related to damage to pipeline as a result of improper excavation.
- Internal investigation related to acquisitions of certain lease properties by E&P company.
- Represented the Audit Committee of public oil services company in internal FCPA investigation.
- Representation of oil and natural gas operating and asset management company in dispute regarding purchase and sale of wells and acreage in the Permian Basin.
- Representation of purchaser of midstream assets in disputes regarding purchase and sale agreements.
- Representation of E&P company in multiple disputes against land services companies.
- Trial counsel in two week international arbitration regarding construction of industrial facility at the Port of Corpus Christi.
- Trial counsel for limited liability company in dispute with member regarding distributions.
- Trial counsel in five week jury trial in Texas state court regarding partnership dispute. Successfully defended affiliated partnerships from limited partner’s claim to dissolve partnerships, among other claims and prevailed on counterclaim expelling plaintiff from partnerships.
- Trial counsel for defendant in four week federal court jury trial. Plaintiff sought >$145 million in damages; jury returned complete defense verdict on all claims.
- Trial counsel in arbitration proceeding regarding breach of purchase contact in chemicals industry.
- Representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in non-compete and employment litigation.
- Representation of various foreign-based clients in special appearances to contest jurisdiction in Texas.
- Representation of foreign banks in complex litigation involving both Federal and Texas state courts.
- Defense of clients in both Securities Exchange Commission and Dept. of Justice investigations/proceedings related to potential securities violations.
- Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas (2012); Various pro bono projects through the Houston Volunteer Lawyers program; Porter Hedges LLP Annual Pro Bono Award (2009).
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Houston Bar Association (Litigation Section, Federal Practice Section), Member
- HBA Federal Practice Section Council (2013-2015)
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Greater Houston Partnership, Member