Rikiya N. "Riki" Thomas
J.D., summa cum laude, Valedictorian, Texas Southern University Thurgood Marshall School of Law, 2008
B.S., summa cum laude, Alabama State University, 2004
Rikiya “Riki” Thomas is Counsel in the corporate practice group of Porter Hedges. Her practice focuses on representing public and private companies in a wide range of transactions, including mergers, stock and asset acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, public and private securities offerings and private equity transactions. She has worked with clients in various industries, including but not limited to energy, technology, manufacturing, and staffing.
Riki was selected to the Texas Rising Stars list in 2018 for Securities and Corporate Finance.
- Representation of an oilfield services company in its acquisition of a wireline and equipment rental company.
- Representation of an oilfield services company in its acquisition of an oil well data testing and analysis services company.
- Representation of a public seismic company in its acquisition of an international onshore seismic data services company in a cash and stock transaction.
- Representation of an oil and gas “supermajor” company in the divestiture of its downstream businesses in Central America.
- Representation of a midstream company in its acquisition of California-based logistics assets, including a 100 mile-long crude oil pipeline system from its parent company.
- Representation of a U.S.-based midstream company in the disposition of its assets, including over 800 miles of crude oil, natural gas, and water gathering pipelines, to a master limited partnership (MLP).
- Representation of the conflicts committee of the general partner of a refining and marketing company in connection with multiple contributions of assets from affiliates of the general partner.
- Representation of a U.K.-based company in its strategic acquisition of oil and gas properties in Navarro County, Texas.
- Representation of a multinational company in its strategic acquisitions of multiple U.S.-based oilfield services and manufacturing companies.
- Representation of a Florida-based air cargo company in the sale of its stock as a part of Chapter 11 bankruptcy liquidation.
- Representation of a licensed pharmacist in the buyout transaction of a majority member in connection with a retail pharmacy business.
- Representation of a Texas-based windows installation company in the sale of its business to a regional windows installation company.
- Representation of a Texas-based grocery store chain in the sale of twenty-six of its store locations throughout Texas.
- Representation of a French-based company in the acquisition of a U.S.-based staffing agency.
- Representation of an education technology company in the acquisition of an online code-based computer science course business.
Private Equity Transactions
- Representation of a private equity firm in connection with its equity investment in an independent E&P company with oil and gas assets in the Permian Basin.
- Representation of a private equity firm in connection with a follow-on capital raise for the funding of an oilfield services company.
- Representation of a California-based alternative energy company in its private offering of Series C preferred stock.
- Representation of a cyber security company in its initial private offering of common stock.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in its private offering of Series A preferred stock.
- Representation of a foreign investment company in its equity investment in a U.S.-based technology company.
- Representation of various companies within the energy and technology industries in connection with strategic joint venture arrangements.
- Representation of a geophysical company (formerly NYSE) in its initial public offering of its common stock.
- Representation of several companies in various industries in connection with their '34 Act compliance matters.
*The selected list of transactions includes transactions that were completed prior to Riki’s employment with Porter Hedges LLP.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Leadership Houston, Class XXXVI Alum and Recruiting Committee Member
- Valeo Preparatory School, Founding Board Member
- Houston Bar Association, Minorities in the Legal Profession Committee Member
- The Forge for Families, Mentor/Tutor
- Boys and Girls Club of Sarasota County, Florida, 2017 Alumnus of the Year
- “2018 Trends in Social Media: How to Manage Risks to Your Corporation,” Corporate Counsel Women of Color Conference, Speaker (2018)
- The Criminalization of Environmental Regulation, Moderator (2017)
- “Joint Operating Agreements: A Comparative World-Wide Analysis,” In-House Client Presentation, Speaker (2016)