J.D., Tulane University, 1974
B.A., cum laude, Tulane University, 1971
Bob Thomas is Co-Chair of the Energy Section of Porter Hedges. His practice principally consists of the representation of domestic and international oil and gas companies in all phases of the energy business with emphasis on the upstream and midstream segments of the industry.
Although Mr. Thomas is principally involved in energy transactions, his practice includes representation of energy companies involved in disputes, whether mediation, arbitration or litigation, including serving as an expert witness in complex energy cases.
Mr. Thomas's practice also includes the following:
- acquisition, divestiture and financing of midstream and upstream assets
- mergers and acquisitions
- acquisition and development of gas storage facilities
- upstream and midstream agreements including drilling agreements, marketing agreements, gas, liquids and crude oil purchase, transport and gathering agreements
- farmout and participation agreements, farmout of general and limited partnership agreements, seismic shoot agreements, data acquisitions and seismic licenses, executive compensation agreements, surface and subsurface easements and oil and gas leases
- drop down transactions for upstream and midstream Master Limited Partnerships
Mr. Thomas has been recognized by Chambers USA as a “Leader in the Field” of Energy: Oil & Gas Transactions since 2009. He has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America in Energy Law since 2005 and has been selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers in Energy/Oil & Gas Law since 2003. He was also named to the Houston Business Journal's "Who's Who in Energy" list.
Prior to joining Porter Hedges, Mr. Thomas was Division Attorney for Mesa Petroleum Co. in Houston, Texas and in-house counsel for Gulf Oil Corporation in Midland, Texas and New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Represented Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. and Sunoco Logistics Partners L.P. in the sale of 36.75% of the Bakken Pipeline Project, which includes the Dakota Access pipeline and the Energy Transfer Crude Oil pipeline to MarEn Bakken Company LLC, an entity jointly owned by Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. and Marathon Petroleum.
- Represented Noble Energy in a $3.2 billion acquisition of 50% of a company’s Marcellus oil and gas development leases and the related joint venture development agreement with CONSOL Energy.
- Represented the management group of Azure Midstream Energy in the $910 million acquisition of TGGT Holdings, a joint venture between EXCO Resources Inc. and BG Group PLC, with the backing of Energy Spectrum Capital.
- Represented master limited partnership in sale of $110 million divestiture of pipeline and gathering assets.
- Represented Enbridge Energy Partners in the $160 million acquisition of Eaglebine shale assets.
- Represented Eagle Ford Minerals, LLC in the sale of leasehold and producing interests in the Eagle Ford Shale to Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc. for $250 million.
- Represented a Special Committee of the Gulfport Energy Corporation Board of Directors in the $372 million and $220 million acquisition of Utica Shale Acreage from Windsor Ohio.
- Represented a management group and minority investors in the $1 billion TPG Capital-backed formation of Maverick American Natural Gas.
- Represented PetroQuest Energy, Inc. in the acquisition of certain shallow water Gulf of Mexico producing properties for approximately $193 million in cash.
- Represented Endeavour International Corporation in its sale of 50% of its upstream and midstream assets in the Pennsylvania Marcellus and formation of a joint venture with Samson Exploration, LLC.
- Represented EPL Oil & Gas in the purchase of oil and gas assets in the Gulf of Mexico from Hilcorp Energy Co. for $550 million.
- Represented Hupecol LLC in the $281 million sale of Colombian oil and gas assets to Sinopec, a $ 564 million sale to CEPSA, and a $75 million sale to GeoPark Holdings Limited.
- Represented Chevron USA in the acquisition of 246,000 net leasehold acres in the Delaware Basin in New Mexico from Chesapeake Energy Corporation.
- Represented a Houston based oil and gas exploration and production company in the sale of an undivided participating interest in a Production Sharing Contract for the Exploitation of Coalbed Methane Resources in Linxian and Xingian Counties, Shanxi Province, the People's Republic of China to ChevronTexaco China Energy Company.
- Represented public oil and gas exploration and production company in $1.3 billion merger to acquire outer continental shelf assets.
- Represented the financial advisors to the U.S. Department of Energy in the sale of Elk Hills Naval Petroleum Reserve for $3.5 billion.
- Represented private oil and gas company in $265 million sale of the company involving Egyptian assets.
- Represented major independent in formation of development drilling funds involving third party investments exceeding $1 billion.
- Expert witness testimony in Australian royalty arbitration.
- Represented buyer in acquisition of $120 million producing oil and gas properties in Texas and Louisiana.
- Represented major independent international energy company in gas sales in Cote d'Ivoire.
- Represented a participant in an Azerbaijan joint venture arbitration.
- Represented energy utility's oil marketing subsidiary in petroleum pipeline joint venture with major international energy company.
- Represented private energy finance company in providing equity infusion to petroleum pipeline company.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Moderator for Houston Energy Forum, an annual energy roundtable panel of leading industry experts
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated Attorney
- Member of the State Bar of Texas
- The State Bar of Louisiana
- The Houston Bar Association
- The American Bar Association
- Fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation
- "Porter Hedges, Latham Advise on Marcellus Joint Venture Split," Texas Lawyer (11/02/16)
- "HudsonField Invests in Trucking Expansion to Bring More Transportation Options to Oil & Gas Producers," PR Newswire (09/26/16)
- "Deal Watch: Two Firms Behind Bedding Industry Megamerger," The American Lawyer (08/08/16)
- "Norton Rose Fulbright, Porter Hedges Work on Pipeline Deal," Texas Lawyer (08/04/16)
- "Enbridge, Marathon Pay $2B For Bakken Pipeline Stake," Law360 (08/03/16)
- "Enbridge Energy Partners, Marathon Petroleum to buy $2B stake in pipeline system," Houston Business Journal (08/03/16)
- "Porter Hedges, Norton Rose Fulbright and Weil Handle Multibillion-Dollar Deals," The Texas Lawbook (08/03/16)
- "Enbridge Subsidiary Drops $160M On Eaglebine Assets," Law360 (02/09/15)
- "Deal of the Week: Baker Botts, Porter Hedges Handle Eagle Ford Shale Deal," Texas Lawyer (11/03/14)
- "Oil Co. Issues $300M Offering Amid Eagle Ford Asset Buy," Law360 (10/28/14)
- "Energy GCs: More M&A, JVs, IPOs Expected in 2014," The Texas Lawbook (01/23/14)
- "Azure Takes Over BG Group, EXCO JV In $931M Deal," Law360 (10/17/13)
- "Exco, BG Group sell JV interests to Azure Midstream," The Deal Pipeline (10/17/13)
- "V&E, Porter Hedges and Baker Botts Advise in $910 Million Transaction," The Texas Lawbook (10/17/13)
- "EPL Pays $550M For Hilcorp's Shallow-Water Gulf Oil Fields," Law360 (09/17/12)
- "Andrews Kurth & Porter Hedges Advise $550 Million EPL-Hilcorp Deal," The Texas Lawbook (09/17/12)
- "Houston Experts Discuss America’s Future Energy Dependence," Houston Business Journal (05/24/12)
- "Firms Battle for Houston Lawyers in Energy Project Boom," Law360 (02/28/12)
- “Law360 Ranks Largest Energy Practice Groups,” Law360 (02/10/12)
- "Joint Ventures Reach Record $12.3 Billion In 2011," Oil and Gas Investor (01/23/12)
- "2011: The Top Stories," Energy BisNow (12/22/11)
- "SHALE YES! 2011," Bisnow (12/06/11)
- "Shale Game Has PE Rushing to Boost Know-How," Law360 (11/16/11)
- "Dizzying array of M&A activity pumps the Eagle Ford shale," Houston Business Journal (08/19/11)
- "$100 oil here to stay, energy expert says," Houston Business Journal (05/19/11)
- “Chesapeake’s Fayetteville fields ripe for deal,” MarketWatch (02/10/11)