Sean M. McChristian
J.D., cum laude, South Texas College of Law, 2008
B.A., Government, University of Texas at Austin, 2005
United States District Courts for the Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
Sean is a partner in the Construction section of Porter Hedges. He represents contractors, subcontractors, developers, owners, suppliers, sureties, and design professionals in all types of construction-related disputes, including:
- delay, acceleration, impact, and inefficiency claims;
- defective plans and specifications claims;
- construction defect claims;
- payment and performance claims;
- wrongful termination claims;
- cost overrun and extra work claims; and
- bond and lien claims.
His practice also focuses on resolving complex business issues and disputes involving contracts, trade secrets, and business torts. Sean has experience with a range of industries and sectors including construction, energy, manufacturing, commercial real estate, multifamily housing, and technology.
Sean was named a Houstonia Magazine 2018 Top Lawyer in construction law. He is a frequent contributor to the Porter Hedges Construction Law Blog.
- Representation of a general contractor in connection with a nonpayment claim by a subcontractor and claims against a municipality and its engineer related to delays and wrongful denial of change orders arising from the expansion of a municipal water treatment facility.
- Representation of the owner and developer of a hotel in claims against the general contractor, mechanical subcontractor, HVAC supplier, HVAC equipment manufacturer, HVAC component manufacturer, piping insulation manufacturer, and associated sureties arising from a defective and malfunctioning HVAC system.
- Representation of an EPC contractor in connection with the termination of a subcontractor for cause due to various issues with work performed on a refinery expansion project.
- Representation of a framing subcontractor in claims by a general contractor related to the quality of work performed during construction of a midrise apartment complex and associated delay and liquidated damages claims.
- Representation of a disaster recovery contractor in claims against a governmental entity arising from work performed after Hurricane Ike related to the amount owed for work performed and counterclaims based on allegations of improper overbilling.
- Representation of an industrial contractor in delay and inefficiency claims arising from construction of a new methyl acrylate unit at a chemical facility.
- Representation of an EPC contractor in connection with extra work claims made by subcontractor arising from design and construction of new cracking furnaces at a chemical facility.
- Representation of an industrial contractor in connection with nonpayment and lien claims arising from the construction, repair, and retrofitting of a biofuel refinery.
- Representation of a general contractor and its surety in reference to nonpayment claim and claim on payment bond by a subcontractor.
- Representation of an engineer and surveyor in claims related to over clearing of trees and brush in connection with installation of new sewer line.
- Representation of both homeowners and builders in various residential construction defect claims.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member of Construction Section
- Houston Bar Association, Member of Construction Section