J.D., summa cum laude, South Texas College of Law, 1994
B.B.A., Baylor University, 1991
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
United States District Court Southern, Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas
Stephen Lee is a partner in the litigation practice group of Porter Hedges. He has over 20 years of experience representing energy and chemical companies involved in the exploration, production, transportation and processing of refined petroleum products and related chemicals. He advises clients in areas including contract, trade secret, product liability, construction, and employment disputes. He also has experience defending pharmaceutical companies or their employees in product liability matters, and has advised and represented companies in investigating and defending accident and personal injury claims.
Stephen has worked with exploration and production companies, as well as oilfield service providers, in matters across the country and knows the business challenges across the full spectrum of the energy sector. In addition, through his representation of chemical manufacturers and marketers in a broad spectrum of disputes, he has gained an understanding of the design and operation of chemical facilities and the associated economics.
Chemical and Energy
- Representation of a specialty chemical manufacturer in a technology license dispute, which resulted in a favorable settlement.
- Representation of an exploration and production company in claims arising out of the purchase of oil and gas assets in the Permian Basin.
- Defended oilfield service company against claims alleging theft of trade secrets and business opportunities.
- Representation of an exploration and production company in a case involving damage to a well bore, resulting in several million dollars in damages.
- Representation of specialty chemical manufacturer in a multi-million dollar international arbitration involving claims for breach of contract arising out of the sale of biodiesel.
- Representation of chemical manufacturer securing a defense judgment and attorney fees in a breach of contract case arising out of the sale of biodiesel.
- Representation of a Fortune 1000 ethylene producer securing a multi-million dollar jury verdict in a case involving a contract for the sale of ethylene.
- Representation of publicly traded styrene monomer producer as lead trial counsel in a multi-million dollar construction dispute defending claims asserted by general contractor for lost productivity and extended overhead in connection with a large scale revamp of a styrene plant.
- Representation of ethylene producer in responding to force majeure, loss productivity, extended overhead and other excess charges from general contractor in connection with a multi-million dollar construction project to allow feed flexibility in producing ethylene.
- Representation of polyethylene pipe manufacturer in defense against product liability claims filed in federal court in West Virginia.
- Representation of ethylene producer as lead trial counsel in pursuing multi-million dollar claim against contractor for destroying ethylene furnace tubes while performing work inside the facility.
- Representation of ethylene manufacturer in pursuing claims under a boiler and machinery insurance policy for destruction to tubes in a number of ethylene furnaces as a result of a sudden and unexpected shut-down of the facility.
- Representation of ethylene producer in connection with claims against electrical contractor for damaging ethylene furnace tubes during work on an unrelated project.
- Representation of ethylene producer in pursuing claims against contractor for faulty installation of furnace tubes in multiple ethylene furnaces.
Employment / Trade Secrets
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of a Fortune 500 specialty chemical manufacturer in enforcing a non-compete agreement and protecting the company’s trade secrets related to resin coating.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 specialty chemical manufacturer as lead trial counsel in obtaining summary judgment dismissing age discrimination claim arising out of the termination of a plant employee.
- Representation of a publicly traded specialty chemical manufacturer against claim by former employee seeking long term disability payments.
- Representation of a major financial advisory services company as co-trial counsel in successfully defeating theft of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty claims asserted by a bank in a two week FINRA arbitration.
- Representation of a national construction contractor and obtained summary judgment dismissing sexual harassment and hostile work environment claims.
Product Liability/Mass Tort
- Representation of former employees of pharmaceutical manufacturers in civil matters throughout the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Representation of manufacturer of cold medicine in PPA litigation in Texas.
- Managed docket and served as lead trial counsel on behalf of national insurer in several hundred cases throughout Texas involving claims of mold damage in residential structures.
- Handled docket of Hurricane Katrina claims on behalf of national insurer in state and federal court in Louisiana.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Association, Fellow
- DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar, Member