Timothy S. Westby, Ph.D.
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1994
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, The University of Texas, 1984
S.B., Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, National Merit Scholar, 1979
United States Patent and Trademark Office
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
United States District Court Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
Tim Westby is Senior Counsel in the intellectual property section of Porter Hedges. He specializes in the chemical arts, including the litigation and prosecution of patents for the chemical and petrochemical industries, and provides intellectual property counseling for process and product development such as patent opinion preparation, patent portfolio development, and pre-litigation management.
After receiving his Doctorate, Dr. Westby was a research engineer at the Shell Development Company's Westhollow Research Center for ten years in Corporate R&D and Environmental R&D.
Dr. Westby's research areas have included: gas-solid reaction kinetics, combustion and reaction engineering, heat transfer, coal gasification and combustion, process economic modeling, risk-based corrective action for waste site cleanup assessment, and high-temperature inorganic melt chemistry, among others.
Dr. Westby continues to maintain numerous engineering and professional society affiliations including the North American Catalysis Society, the Southwest Catalysis Society, and the AIChE, presenting "Is Your Patent Worth The Paper It's Printed on?" at the AIChE National Meeting (1999). He has been a Visiting Scholar at Rice University in the Chemistry and Materials Science Departments since 1999.
- Representation of leading U.S. alternative fuels company in creation of patent portfolio, monetization of patents, development of freedom to operate positions, and acquisition of competing companies.
- Development and protection of a comprehensive portfolio for a major synthetic fuels technology company.
- Strategic creation of a worldwide intellectual property portfolio for a breakthrough technology for an innovative Houston chemical manufacturer.
- Representation of major U.S. university against multinational corporation alleging infringement of university-owned patent covering specialty plastics.
- Representation of major oil companies accused of infringing a patent relating to metallocene catalysts used to manufacture specialty plastics, including multiple interference proceedings.
- Development and maintenance of worldwide patent portfolio for a leading manufacturer of downhole fluids.
- Representation of major U.S. university in creation of diverse patent portfolio.
- Defense of major U.S. university in patent infringement litigation relating to development of combustion byproduct-based based building materials.
- Representation of leading North American chemical manufacturer in analysis of validity, enforceability, and infringement of patents relating to defense of allegations of infringement of patents relating to polymers.
- Representation of major North American corporation regarding property dispute relating to pipeline rights.
- Representation of major U.S. oil company in creation and maintenance of patent portfolio related to gas-to-liquids technology.
- Defense of major U.S. oil company in patent infringement litigation related to drag reducing agents.
- Representation of manufacturer of electronic control systems in patent infringement litigation.
- Representation of leading manufacturer of refrigeration control systems.
- Development of patent and trademark portfolio for leading worldwide manufacturer of lubricating fluids for air conditioning systems.
- Representation of cutting-edge developer of supercritical water oxidation technology for municipal waste disposal.
- Representation of developer of microbial alternative energy technology.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated Attorney
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association, Member of Intellectual Property and Litigation Divisions
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- American Chemical Society, Member
- North American Catalysis Society, Member
- Southwest Catalysis Society, Member
- AIChE, Member
- "Is Your Patent Worth The Paper It's Printed On?," AIChE National Meeting (1999)