As we look back on 2020, several FCPA enforcement trends emerge. The following summarizes the key statistics and developments in 2020:
- The Department of Justice (“DOJ”) brought 29 enforcement actions in 2020. 7 companies entered into Deferred Prosecution Agreements, and the DOJ obtained 6 convictions, including one after trial (Donville Inniss).
- The Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) brought 13 enforcement actions. Of those enforcement actions, three were brought against individuals (Joesley Batista and Wesley Batista and Asante Berko).
- Sanctions in 2020 were the highest ever, topping $6.4 billion, which more than doubled the amount paid to the DOJ and SEC in the previous year. As we discussed in our November 2020 post, the largest FCPA settlement of all time totaling more $2.9 billion was paid to the DOJ and SEC by Goldman Sachs in October 2020.
- As we discussed in our September 2020 post, the DOJ issued an opinion procedure for the first time since 2014 regarding what types of payments are permitted to be paid under the FCPA. Additionally, as we discussed in our July 2020 post, the DOJ also updated its guidance for the evaluation of corporate compliance programs in June 2020.
These statistics signal that in 2021, the government will continue to aggressively pursue FCPA violations, and the amount of overall sanctions will likely continue to climb. However, the DOJ’s guidance issued in 2020 indicates that the government is also focused on helping companies and individuals better understand how to comply with the requirements of the FCPA.
Heather Hatfield represents clients in corporate investigations, white-collar crime investigations and defense involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), complex contract disputes, oil and gas litigation ...
Blake Runions assists clients with broad range of business disputes and investigatory matters, including partnership disputes, internal investigations, and commercial litigation.
Prior to joining the Firm, Blake worked in the ...
Jamie Godsey represents public and private corporations, partnerships, and small companies on a broad range of complex business and commercial litigation. Her experience includes a wide variety of matters such as contractual ...
- Biden Administration Plans Increased Enforcement of Compliance Issues
- MoneyGram Settlement Illustrates the Need to Maintain Robust Controls
- Whistleblower Protections Incentivize Development of Strong Anti-Retaliation Programs
- New Action by the CFTC Means Higher Stakes for Commodity Market Participants
- Transparency International’s 2020 Corruption Perceptions Index Indicates Corruption is Affecting COVID-19 Response
- Expected Enforcement Trends under the Biden Administration
- FCPA: 2020 Year-In-Review
- Goldman Sachs Reaches Record $2.9 Billion Settlement of Malaysia FCPA Violations
- Recent Advisory Opinion Provides Important Guidance to Mitigate Sanctions Risk
- DOJ Releases Rare FCPA Opinion Procedure
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019