Allison Snyder represents companies and individuals in complex construction disputes and business arbitration and litigation. She routinely arbitrates, litigates and mediates claims between owners, contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, suppliers, design professionals and sureties, and drafts and negotiates contracts for those parties.
Allison’s experience includes design and construction disputes involving large public and private commercial, industrial, energy and infrastructure projects, on and offshore oil and gas pipelines and production facilities, petrochemical plants, oil and gas drilling rigs, EPC projects, maritime projects, high rise office towers, hospitals, schools, prisons, highways, toll roads, underground utilities, civil, site work and paving, power plants, water and wastewater treatment facilities, wind energy transmission projects, compressor and turbine failures, cogeneration facilities, vessel failures, railways and numerous other energy and infrastructure projects.
Her arbitration experience consists of more than 25 years chairing arbitration panels and acting as sole arbitrator in complex construction and commercial disputes. She serves on international and domestic arbitration panels and is an arbitration panel member of several provider organizations including the AAA, the ICDR and the ICC.
Allison is a Fellow in the American College of Construction Lawyers and the College of Commercial Arbitrators. She has also served as Chair of the State Bar of Texas Construction Law Section and as Chair of the Houston Bar Association ADR Section.
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, Leading Lawyer in Construction Law and Construction: Alternative Dispute Resolution (Texas)
The Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer in Construction
Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, 2006-2021
Texas Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2004-2019
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1979
B.A., University of Texas at Austin, 1975
Southern District of Texas, 1985
Northern and Western Districts of Texas, 1990
Eastern District of Texas, 1994
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 1991
- Contractors and sureties in prosecuting extra work, delay, and differing site condition claims against various U.S. governmental entities from the Request for Equitable Adjustment through the Board of Contract Appeals.
- Sureties in numerous takeover scenarios involved in completing multiple public and private projects, including the takeover of a defaulted general contractor on eight public and private projects simultaneously.
- Subcontractors and contractors in prosecuting payment, extra work, wrongful termination, delay, and differing site conditions claims against municipalities, counties, school districts, and municipal utility districts (MUDS).
- Subcontractors and suppliers in prosecuting bond and lien claims.
- Sureties in defending bond and lien claims.
- Contractors in bid protests against public entities.
- General contractors in fraud, breach of contract, DTPA and negligence disputes with both owners and subcontractors.
- Public and private owners in various breach of contract disputes with general contractors.
- Public and private owners in tort and contract disputes with design professionals.
- Contractor in construction defect litigation with a Texas municipality involving slab failure and mold claims.
- Contractor in litigation with a defaulting subcontractor's surety regarding defective work in three power plants.
- Oil and gas operating company in oil and gas accounting litigation.
- General contractor against a national supplier/subcontractor in the recovery of a multimillion judgment involving fraud, breach of contract and DTPA claims.
- Subcontractor in its successful recovery on delay and extra work claims against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Firm News, 08.19.2020
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and Construction in 2020Firm News, 06.10.2020
- Firm News, 04.23.2020
- Recognition, 03.09.2020
- Recognition, 09.03.2019
- Recognition, 08.15.2019
- Firm News, 07.10.2019
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and ConstructionRecognition, 06.06.2019
- Firm News, 05.01.2019
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Firm News, 08.15.2018
- Firm News, 05.04.2018
- Firm News, 09.05.2017
- Firm News, 08.15.2017
- Firm News, 05.26.2017
- Firm News, 04.06.2017
- Firm News, 09.06.2016
- Firm News, 08.15.2016
- Firm News, 06.17.2016
- Firm News, 05.27.2016
- Three Porter Hedges Attorneys Named to the Inaugural Best Lawyers Business Edition "Women In the Law" IssueFirm News, 05.13.2016
- Firm News, 09.08.2015
- Firm News, 08.17.2015
- Firm News, 05.20.2015
- Firm News, 05.19.2015
- Firm News, 11.05.2014
- Media Mention, 05.08.2019
- Publication, 02.06.2019
- Construction Alert: "Texas Supreme Court Opinion Impacts General Contractor's Statutory Indemnity Rights Against Manufacturers of Construction Products"Publication, 06.28.2016
- Publication, 11.16.2015
- "Drafting Arbitration Clauses in Construction Contracts to Get the Arbitration You Want," The Texas Construction Law JournalPublication, Spring 2015
- "Drafting Arbitration Clauses In Construction Contracts To Get The Arbitration You Want," The Texas Construction Law JournalPublication, Summer 2014
- Construction Client Alert: "Texas Legislature Passes Bill that Could Void Certain Contractual Indemnity Agreements in Pipeline Construction Contracts"Publication, 08.01.2011
- Speaking Engagement, 07.24.2018
- Speaking Engagement, 05.15.2018
- Speaking Engagement, 05.03.2018
- "Arbitration: What Works and What Doesn't Work," Annual State Bar of Texas Construction Law Conference, Panel SpeakerSpeaking Engagement, 03.03.2017
- "Ethics: What Do Arbitrators Owe the Process?" College of Commercial ArbitratorsSpeaking Engagement, 10.21.2016
- Speaking Engagement, 05.05.2016
- "Construction Mediation," University of Houston, AA White Dispute Resolution InstituteSpeaking Engagement, 04.01.2016
- “Secrets of Success – Arbitration Pre-hearing and Hearing Best Practices,” College of Commercial ArbitratorsSpeaking Engagement, 03.01.2016
- "Plenary Session: Ask & Answer," College of Commercial Arbitrators 15th Annual MeetingSpeaking Engagement, 10.16.2015
- Speaking Engagement, 10.15.2015
- "Negotiating Important Contract Provisions," "Perfecting Lien Rights on Private Projects," and "Managing Change Orders," Presented to: Brady, Chapman, Holland & Associates, Inc.Speaking Engagement, 10.13.2015
- Speaking Engagement, 10.07.2015
- “Explaining Complexity – How to Improve Your Presentation of Technical Information in Arbitration,” American Arbitration Association WebinarSpeaking Engagement, 02.24.2015
- Explaining Complexity - How to Improve Your Presentation of Technical Information in Arbitration," American Arbitration Association WebinarSpeaking Engagement, 02.01.2015
- "Effective Advocacy and Management in Arbitration" and "Getting the Arbitration Process Parties Want and Need," Oklahoma Bar Association SeminarSpeaking Engagement, 09.01.2014
- Navigating Austin Bridge – New Texas Supreme Court Case Upends Arbitration Framework Against Governmental EntitiesTexas Construction Law Blog, 05.04.2020
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Construction Law Section (Chair, 1999-2000; Vice Chair, 1998-1999; Secretary, 1997-1998; Treasurer, 1996-1997; Governing Council, 1993-1999
- Planning Committee for the Fifth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Thirteenth and Twenty-Ninth Annual Construction Law Conferences
- Litigation Section
- ADR section
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Construction Law Section (Governing Council, 1989-1992, 1996-1997; Chairperson of Section, 1991-1992)
- ADR Section (Chair, 2016-2017; Chair Elect, 2014-2015; Secretary, 2013-2014; Treasurer, 2012-2013; Governing Council, 2011-2015)
- Litigation Section
- Committees: Courts and Courthouse Facilities, 1987-1990; Judicial Liaison 1990-1991; Alternative Dispute Resolution, 1990-1993; Harris County Dispute Resolution Center
- American Bar Association, Member (Construction Industry Forum; Litigation Section; Torts and Insurance Practice Section; ADR Section)
- American College of Construction Lawyers, Fellow
- College of Commercial Arbitrators, Fellow, 2012-present
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow, 1991-present
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow, 1996-present
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Fellow, 1991-present
- Garland Walker Inns of Court, Member, 2003-present
- State Bar of Texas District 4D, Member (Grievance Committee, 1994-1997)
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration, Member, 2007-present
- DRI, Member, 2013-present
- Harris County Dispute Resolution Center
Industry Trade Associations
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Member, 1994-present (Insurance Task Force, 1996-1997; Contract Language Sub-Committee, 1998; ABC Legal Issues Committee Chair, 2004-2005; ABC Legal Issues Committee, 2002-2009; ABC PAC Committee Trustee, 2002-2006)
- Associated General Contractors of America, Inc., Member, 1993-present
- Houston Contractors Association, Member, 1994-present (Education Committee, 2011-2014)
- Women Contractors Association, 1997-present (Board Member, 2000-2003)
- National Bond Claims Association, Member, 2000-2003
- College of Commercial Arbitrators, Fellow, 2012-present.
- AAA, Mega Panel and Large Complex Case Panel, AAA Regular Panel and ICDR Panel, Member
- American Arbitration Association, Construction & Commercial Panels of Arbitrators, Member, 1990-present.
- American Arbitration Association Southwest Texas Advisory Council (Construction Law), Member, 1992-1995.