Brett Chalke’s practice is focused on commercial and energy litigation. Brett prides himself in delivering value to clients through an aggressive yet pragmatic approach to each and every case. He has assisted a wide range of clients, from mid-size businesses to publicly traded companies, with an emphasis on upstream and midstream oil and gas, petrochemical refining, real estate, transportation, capital projects, and construction.
Brett’s experience includes disputes involving purchase and sale agreements, shareholder disputes, fiduciary duties, fraud, oil and gas leases and conveyances, loan agreements, construction contracts, master service agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and non-compete agreements. He has substantial experience in all aspects of litigation, including temporary and preliminary injunctions, discovery, depositions, dispositive motions, hearings, arbitrations and trials.
J.D., Tulane University Law School, magna cum laude, 2011
Order of the Coif
B.A., Tulane University, cum laude, 2008
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Eastern, Western and Middle Districts of Louisiana
Brett representations have included the following:
- Midstream pipeline company defending tortuous interference claims brought by an owner of a gas processing facility.
- Represented a multi-national construction contractor against a multi-national steel corporation in ICC Arbitration, obtaining a verdict for $28 million and defeating a $47 million claim based on wrongful termination.
- Represented a major privately-held company and its affiliates in the defense of fraud, breach of contract, and full recourse liability claims in connection with a CMBS loan, leading to five-week bench trial and directed verdict on all asserted claims and more than $30 million in alleged damages.
- Obtained summary judgment for an independent oil and gas company defeating bona fide purchaser claims on properties valued at over $15 million.
- Global Fortune 10 oil company in several mass toxic tort suits with more than 10,000 plaintiffs involving naturally occurring radioactive material.
- Oil and gas company in breach of contract and negligence claims against directional drilling company for defective well work.
- Large high-rise condominium association in a construction defect case against the general contractor and its subcontractors.
- Global Fortune 10 oil company in suits involving offshore oil and gas production and related contractual disputes.
- Mexican offshore energy company regarding a rig collision and subsequent United States Fifth Circuit appeal involving forum non conveniens dismissal.
- Marine services client in a suit involving a collision with an oil well that resulted in both property damage and pollution claims.
- Several clients regarding litigation involving breach of employment, non-solicitation, and non-compete agreements.
- Offshore drilling company as outside general counsel in matters of employment, contract procurement, and commercial disputes.
- Marine insurance underwriters in a suit involving a maritime accident in the Philippines which resulted in over 4,000 deaths.
- Firm News, 01.22.2021
Houston Bar Association, Member
Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member