Miranda Jones is an intellectual property litigator specializing in patent litigation. Recognized as the Texas Lawyer’s 'Top Woman in IP' in 2018, she has been helping clients navigate complex patent trial and appeal proceedings for over a decade. Drawing from her breadth of experience, Miranda works closely with clients to develop and implement efficient patent litigation strategies that best fit the unique circumstances of each case. Miranda has handled matters in a wide range of technologies, including the pharmaceutical, chemical, electrical and mechanical fields.
Miranda has represented clients in patent cases in federal courts across the country including Texas, Pennsylvania, California, Washington D.C., and Virginia. In addition to her trial practice, she has handled appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and before the United States Supreme Court. She served as a law clerk to Judge Pauline Newman of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property (Texas)
Texas Lawyer, Top Woman in IP Law, 2018
Texas Rising Stars, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2016-2018
Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Patent
Burton Award for Legal Achievement
Adrian Fischer Award for Legal Research and Writing, 2007
J.D., George Mason University School of Law, magna cum laude
George Mason Law Review, Articles Editor
Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, Symposium Executive Editor
B.A., University of Houston, magna cum laude, Chemistry
Harvard Law School Executive Education, Women's Leadership, 2020
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Pauline Newman, United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Intern to the Honorable Edward Damich, United States Court of Federal Claims
Supreme Court of the United States
- Commil USA, LLC v. Cisco Systems Inc., No. 13-0896 (U.S.): Supreme Court counsel for Commil in appeal involving induced infringement.
- Cuozzo Speed Technologies, LLC v. Lee, No. 15-0446 (U.S.): Supreme Court counsel for Amicus Law Professors.
- Impression Products, Inc. v. Lexmark International, Inc. 15-1189 (U.S.): Supreme Court counsel for Amicus Law Professors.
- Rembrandt Wireless v. Samsung Electronics, No. 16-1729: Appellate counsel for Rembrandt in challenge of $16.9 million patent infringement verdict against Samsung.
- CSIRO v. Cisco, No. 15-1066 (Fed. Cir.): Appellate counsel for CSIRO in an appeal involving patent litigation.
- Better Bags, Inc. v. Redi Bag USA, LLC, No. 13-1064 (Fed. Cir.): Appellate counsel for Better Bags in an appeal involving patent infringement; obtained a Rule 36 affirmance in favor of Better Bags. (Opinion)
- Commil USA, LLC v. Cisco Systems Inc., No. 12-1042 (Fed. Cir.): Appellate counsel for Commil in appeal involving patent litigation.
- Rochester Drug Co-Operative Inc., et al. v. Braintree Laboratories, No. 11-1539 (Fed. Cir.): Class counsel for an appeal involving an injunction.
- AXTS, Inc. v. F-1 Firearms, LLC, No. 21-1069 (Fed. Circ.): Appellate counsel in an appeal involving patent litigation.
- Westport Fuel Systems Canada Inc. v. Nissan North America, Inc., et al., Case No. 2:21-cv-455 (E.D. Tex.): Counsel for Westport Fuel Systems in patent infringement litigation involving two patents directed to fuel injector technology.
- Magema Technology LLC v. Phillips 66, et al., Case No. 4:20-cv-02444 (S.D. Tex.): Lead counsel for Magema Technology LLC in patent infringement litigation involving four patents directed to low-sulfur marine fuel oil technology.
- Fisher-Rosemount Systems, Inc. et al v. ABB Ltd. et al, Case No. 4:18-cv-00178- KPE (S.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for ABB Ltd., ABB AB, and ABB GmbH defending against three patents directed to industrial automation control technologies asserted by Fisher Rosemount Systems and Emerson Process Management LLLP.
- BASF Plant Science, LP v. Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation et al, Case No. 2:17-cv-00503 (E.D. Va.): Lead counsel for Grains Research and Development Corp. in patent infringement litigation against BASF Plant Sciences and Cargill Inc. involving seven patents related to omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid production.
- AXTS, Inc., v. F-1 Firearms, LLC, Case No. 4:19-cv-02379-AHB (S.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for AXTS, Inc. in a case involving design patent infringement, trade dress infringement, trademark infringement, and unfair competition.
- Red Rock Analytics, LLC v. Apple Inc., Case No. 2:19-cv-117-JRG (E.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for Red Rock Analytics in patent infringement litigation against Apple, involving a patent directed to I/Q calibration techniques.
- Red Rock Analytics, LLC v. Samsung Elecs. Co. et al., 2:17-cv-00101 (E.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for Red Rock Analytics in patent infringement litigation against Samsung Elecs.
- Entro Industries, Inc. v. Hydraulic Systems, Inc., 4:16-cv-01153 (S.D. Tex.): Counsel for Entro Industries in patent infringement litigation involving oil drilling rig walkers.
- Rembrandt Wireless Technologies IP v. Samsung Electronics Co., et al., No. 2:13-cv-00213 (E.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for Rembrandt in litigation for patent infringement involving Bluetooth EDR technology.
- Broadcom v. Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, No. 6:09-cv-00513 (E.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for CSIRO in litigation for patent infringement involving 802.11 wireless LAN technology.
- CSIRO v. Lenovo, et al., No. 6:09-cv-00399 (E.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for CSIRO in litigation for patent infringement involving 802.11 wireless LAN technology.
- CSIRO v. Cisco, No. 6:11-cv-00343 (E.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for CSIRO in litigation for patent infringement involving 802.11 wireless LAN technology.
- CSIRO v. MediaTek, No. 6:12-cv-00578 (E.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for CSIRO in litigation for patent infringement involving 802.11 wireless LAN technology.
- MicroUnity Systems Engineering Inc. v. Acer et al., No. 2:10-cv-00091 (E.D. Tex.): Trial counsel for MicroUnity in litigation for patent infringement of MicroUnity’s Media Processor patent portfolio.
- In re Lidoderm Antitrust Litigation, 14-md-02521 (N.D. Cal.): Class counsel representing direct purchasers in antitrust multidistrict litigation against Endo Pharmaceuticals over delays in the generic version of the drug.
- In re Aggrenox Antitrust Litigation, 14-md-02516 (D. Conn.): Class counsel representing purchasers alleging that Boehringer Ingelheim unlawfully paid to delay entry of a generic version of the Aggrenox blood-clot medication.
- King Drug Co. of Florence, Inc., et al. v. Cephalon, Inc. et al., No. 2:06-cv-01797 (E.D. Pa.): Class counsel for Direct Purchaser Plaintiff class in an antitrust class action stemming from an innovator drug company’s assertion of a patent related to modafinil.
- Rochester Drug Co-Operative Inc., et al. v. Braintree Laboratories Inc., No. 1:07-cv-00142 (D. Del.): Class counsel for litigation of an antitrust action stemming from an innovator drug company’s assertion of a patent related to polyethylene glycol.
- Louisiana Wholesale Drug Co. Inc. v. Unimed Pharmaceuticals Inc., et al., No. 1:09-cv-00957 (N.D. Ga.): Class counsel for litigation of an antitrust action stemming from an innovator drug company’s assertion of a patent related to a testosterone gel.
Inter Partes Review (IPR)
- Phillips 66 v. Magēmā Technology LLC : Counsel for patent owners in four IPR proceedings. Obtained a denial of institution on behalf of the patent owner.
- LG Elecs., et al. v. Rosetta Wireless Corp., on IPR No. 2016-01516: Lead counsel for the patent owner in IPR proceedings. Obtained a denial of institution of IPR on behalf of the patent owner.
- Firm News, 08.17.2023
- The Houston Business Journal Once Again Names Porter Hedges Among the Largest Intellectual Property Firms in HoustonRecognition, 06.02.2023
- Recognition, 06.02.2023
- Firm News, 08.18.2022
- Firm News, 06.01.2022
- Firm News, 01.25.2022
- Firm News, 11.30.2021
- Recognition, 08.19.2021
- Firm News, 05.20.2021
- Firm News, 03.15.2021
- Firm News, 01.11.2021
- Recognition, 08.19.2020
- Recognition, 03.09.2020
- Miranda Jones Honored for Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement by the American Antitrust InstituteFirm News, 11.21.2019
- Recognition, 08.15.2019
- Firm News, 06.06.2019
- Media Mention, 06.27.2023
- Media Mention, 06.26.2023
- "Magema Technology LLC and Rigby Refining LLC Settle Dispute with Wood Group USA," Cision PR NewswireMedia Mention, 05.15.2023
- Media Mention, 05.09.2023
- "Skilled in the Art With Scott Graham: Are All of Waco's Patent Cases Headed Back to Judge Albright? + Bad Spaniels Does an Old No. 2 on MSCHF Appeal," Law.comMedia Mention, 12.16.2022
- Media Mention, 10.10.2022
- Media Mention, 10.04.2022
- Media Mention, 09.06.2022
- Media Mention, 08.01.2022
- Media Mention, 06.01.2022
- Media Mention, 05.23.2022
- Media Mention, 03.02.2022
- Media Mention, 09.04.2020
- Media Mention, 07.14.2020
- Media Mention, 06.12.2019
- "Porter Hedges in Houston announced that Miranda Jones joined the firm as a new patent litigation partner," Texas LawyerMedia Mention, 06.10.2019
- Media Mention, 06.07.2019
- Media Mention, 08.31.2018
- Publication, 03.15.2022
- Publication, 03.15.2022
- Publication, July/August 2021
- “Pleading Direct Infringement: Farewell to Form 18,” The Federal Circuit Bar Association Bench Bar NewsletterPublication, 12.2015
- “Permanent Injunction, a Remedy by Any Other Name Is Patently Not the Same: How eBay v. MercExchange Affects the Patent Right of Non-Practicing Entities,” 14 Geo. Mason L. Rev. 1035Publication, 2007
- Speaking Engagement, 09.18.2023
- “Litigating Patents in Texas” IP WatchDog LiveSpeaking Engagement, 09.11.2022
- “The CAFC vs. Texas: Mandamus and the Battle Over Venue,” IP Watchdog LiveSpeaking Engagement, 05.23.2022
- "Litigating Patents in Texas Courts: Trends and Best Practices," IP WatchdogSpeaking Engagement, 09.13.2021
- "The Power Revolution: Innovation and IP in Power Management Technologies," IPWatchDogSpeaking Engagement, 04.13.2021
- "Not Even Remote Close: Avoiding Pitfalls During Remote Oral Argument at the CAFC," Nancy Atlas Intellectual Property Inn of CourtSpeaking Engagement, 10.2020
- "Intellectual Property Overview and Best Practices," Norwegian American Chamber of CommerceSpeaking Engagement, 09.2020
- "Apportioning Patent Damages for Solution Products," Intellectual Property Owners (IPO), Damages and Injunctions Committee CLE,Speaking Engagement, 03.2020
- Speaking Engagement, 02.06.2020
- The Women in Law & IP SummitSpeaking Engagement, 11.02.2017
- Patent Litigation Law Blog , 07.27.2022
- Patent Litigation Law Blog , 02.23.2022
- Patent Litigation Law Blog , 06.24.2021
- Patent Litigation Law Blog , 05.05.2021
- Patent Litigation Law Blog , 01.21.2021
Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
The Honorable Nancy F. Atlas Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, Executive Committee
The Pin Oak Charity Horse Show benefitting Texas Children's Hospital, Host Committee