Commercial construction contracts between owners and contractors, such as the form AIA Document A201 contract, often include various express warranties whereby the contractor warrants its work on the project to the owner. Among those express warranties are the more common warranties that: (i) the materials and ...More
The Texas Legislature is back in session, and lawmakers generally have until March 8, 2019 to file bills for consideration this session. In our original post on January 31, 2019, we identified several bills of interest to the construction industry that had been filed as of that date. Since that post, the ...More
The Texas Legislature is officially back in session. While lawmakers generally have until March 8, 2019 to file bills, many bills of interest to the construction industry have already been filed. Below is a list of some key construction related bills we will be following this session along with a description of the ...More
November 2018 will mark the 25th anniversary of a significant case regarding the limitations period for construction defect claims in Texas. In Bayou Bend Towers Council of Co-Owners v. Manhattan Construction Co., 866 S.W.2d 740 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 1993, writ denied) the Court held that even ...More
- Is the Coronavirus Event a Force Majeure or Changed Condition Event?
- Small Business Economic Injury Disaster Loans
- COVID-19 Made Performance Impossible – Now What?
- A Matter of Trust – Avoiding the Pitfalls of the Texas Construction Trust Fund Act
- Different Types of Construction Work: Chapter 56 vs. Chapter 53 and Why It Matters
- Perfecting Bond Claims on Public Projects in Texas
- Top Five Construction Contract Modifications to Comply with Texas Law
- Part 1: Subcontractor Negotiating Tips for AIA Documents
- The Consequences of Betting the Ranch
- Call-Back Periods in Call-Back Warranties – the Confusion Surrounding Their Effect on Other Warranties in Construction Contracts