Bill Porter is Chairman Emeritus and a Retired Partner at Porter Hedges. Having been in practice since 1966, Bill is a nationally recognized corporate and securities law practitioner with comprehensive experience representing publicly-held companies in all phases of the petroleum industry and in a variety of manufacturing, mining, distribution and service industries ranging from steel processing to internet technologies, as well as the financial institutions and investment banks serving those industries.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America, Named one of the "preeminent lawyers in the United States," 2009
Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, and Securities Law, 1983-2018
Texas Lawyer, Named one of the top five securities lawyers in Texas, 2002
Texas Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, Securities and Corporate Finance, 2003-2018
Corporate Counsel Magazine, Named “Best Lawyer in Corporate Law,” 2006
Who's Who in America and several other Who's Who publications, including Who's Who in American Law, 1985-2018
LL.B., Duke University School of Law, 1966
B.B.A., Southern Methodist University, Finance, 1963
- More than 100 primary, secondary and follow-on public offerings, either as issuer or underwriter counsel.
- More than 100 merger, acquisition and reorganization transactions, as counsel for acquirers, sellers, bankers, or principal stockholders.
- Board representation covering a broad spectrum of corporate governance issues.
- Prosecution and defense of tender offers, proxy contests, and other change of control transactions.
- Going-private transactions.
- Substantive law advice regarding securities and corporate litigation matters and administrative proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission.
State Bar of Texas, Member
Alley Theatre, Houston: Director, 1988 - 2012; Executive Committee Member, 1989 - 2012; President, 1991-1993; Chairman of the Board, 1993-1995; Endowment Committee Chair, 1998 - 2010
Hobby Center for the Performing Arts
River Oaks Property Owners Association
Coronado Club, Director, 2006 - 2009; President, 2009
Board of Visitors, Duke University Law School, Life Member since 1991
U.S. Concrete, Inc. (NASDAQ), Director, 2001-2010
Helix Energy Solutions Group, Inc. (NYSE), Former Director; Chairman, Governance Committee; Audit Committee Member
Copano Energy LLC (NASDAQ), Former Director; Governance Committee Chair; Compensation Committee Member
Gundle/SLT Environmental, Inc. (NYSE), Director, 1988-2004; Lead Director 2003-2004
Metals USA (NYSE), Director, 1997-2002; Lead Director, 2001-2002
Southwestern Institute for the Study of Hospital and Health Care Systems, Houston, Director, 1989- 1991
Houston Business Arts Fund, Director, 1989
Duke University Law School, Adjunct Instructor, 1985-1989
St. Paul's United Methodist Church Houston, Trustee, 1975-1978
Southern Methodist University, Adjunct Instructor of Finance, 1967-1968