Bill Porter is Chairman Emeritus and a Retired Partner at Porter Hedges. Having been in practice since 1966, Bill is a nationally recognized corporate and securities law practitioner with comprehensive experience representing publicly-held companies in all phases of the petroleum industry and in a variety of manufacturing, mining, distribution and service industries ranging from steel processing to internet technologies, as well as the financial institutions and investment banks serving those industries.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America, Named one of the "preeminent lawyers in the United States," 2009
Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, and Securities Law, 1983-2018
Texas Lawyer, Named one of the top five securities lawyers in Texas, 2002
Texas Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, Securities and Corporate Finance, 2003-2018
Corporate Counsel Magazine, Named “Best Lawyer in Corporate Law,” 2006
Who's Who in America and several other Who's Who publications, including Who's Who in American Law, 1985-2018
LL.B., Duke University School of Law, 1966
B.B.A., Southern Methodist University, Finance, 1963
- More than 100 primary, secondary and follow-on public offerings, either as issuer or underwriter counsel.
- More than 100 merger, acquisition and reorganization transactions, as counsel for acquirers, sellers, bankers, or principal stockholders.
- Board representation covering a broad spectrum of corporate governance issues.
- Prosecution and defense of tender offers, proxy contests, and other change of control transactions.
- Going-private transactions.
- Substantive law advice regarding securities and corporate litigation matters and administrative proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
State Bar of Texas, Member
Alley Theatre, Houston: Director, 1988 - 2012; Executive Committee Member, 1989 - 2012; President, 1991-1993; Chairman of the Board, 1993-1995; Endowment Committee Chair, 1998 - 2010
Hobby Center for the Performing Arts
River Oaks Property Owners Association
Coronado Club, Director, 2006 - 2009; President, 2009
Board of Visitors, Duke University Law School, Life Member since 1991
U.S. Concrete, Inc. (NASDAQ), Director, 2001-2010
Helix Energy Solutions Group, Inc. (NYSE), Former Director; Chairman, Governance Committee; Audit Committee Member
Copano Energy LLC (NASDAQ), Former Director; Governance Committee Chair; Compensation Committee Member
Gundle/SLT Environmental, Inc. (NYSE), Director, 1988-2004; Lead Director 2003-2004
Metals USA (NYSE), Director, 1997-2002; Lead Director, 2001-2002
Southwestern Institute for the Study of Hospital and Health Care Systems, Houston, Director, 1989- 1991
Houston Business Arts Fund, Director, 1989
Duke University Law School, Adjunct Instructor, 1985-1989
St. Paul's United Methodist Church Houston, Trustee, 1975-1978
Southern Methodist University, Adjunct Instructor of Finance, 1967-1968