1L Diversity Fellowship Program
The Porter Hedges 1L Diversity Fellowship program will provide a unique opportunity for a candidate who has finished their first year of law school and has a strong commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion on their campuses, as well as during their tenure with the firm. Porter Hedges is dedicated to the recruitment, retention, and development of outstanding lawyers and other professionals who reflect the marketplace, communities, and clients that we serve. We are committed to achieving greater diversity, not just for our firm, but also for our profession.
The highly-qualified candidate selected to receive this fellowship will be eligible to receive up to $25,000 in stipends throughout the duration of their participation in the program, in addition to a salaried Summer Associate position. The stipends are paid to the fellowship recipient in four installments:
- $5,000 upon accepting the 1L Diversity Fellowship and a position in our Summer Associate program.
- $5,000 after successfully completing the Summer Associate program following their first year of law school, and receiving and accepting an offer to return to Porter Hedges for their 2L summer. The candidate must remain in good standing with their law school.
- $5,000 signing bonus upon accepting an offer from Porter Hedges to return prior to participating in the On-Campus Interview (OCI) process.
- $10,000 after completing the Summer Associate program following their second year of law school, and receiving and accepting a full-time offer from Porter Hedges. The candidate must remain in good standing with their law school.
*if any obligation to return to the firm is not fulfilled, all paid monies associated with the commitment to return, must be returned to the firm
The 1L Diversity Fellowship is open to all first-year law students who:
- Are in good standing as a first-year student at an ABA accredited law school;
- Want to be part of a talented and driven team, possess a high level of work ethic and value practicing law in a focused, collegial setting;
- Have long-term interest in practicing law in Houston, Texas;
- Are not the recipient of a diversity award from another law firm paid between January 1, 2022 and August 31, 2022;
- Have a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, demonstrated leadership ability, excellent writing and interpersonal skills, and academic achievement; and
- Authorized to work in the United States.
For 1L students in the 2021 – 2022 academic school year, applications must be received by January 31, 2022. Candidates who meet the above eligibility criteria are encouraged to apply. Upon receiving applications, the firm will review and contact applicants on a rolling basis to arrange individual interviews. Please note that all applicants who apply to the 1L Diversity Fellowship will be considered for a Summer Associate position, however only one candidate per academic school year will be selected to receive the 1L Diversity Fellowship.
You will need to submit the following documents:
- A completed application form;
- A copy of your current résumé;
- A copy of your undergraduate transcript;
- A copy of your law school transcript (when they become available);
- A personal statement of 500 words or less describing (i) your interest in practicing law in Houston and (ii) how you would help support fairness, inclusivity, and diversity in the legal community;
- A legal writing sample (1L lawyering class brief accepted); and
- Three professional or academic references – at least one must be from a law school professor
For questions, please contact Deirdra Clement.
- Diversity ScholarshipPorter Hedges Launches Diversity Scholarship at Texas Southern University
- Recognizing AchievementsPorter Hedges is proud to celebrate the accomplishments of our women lawyers across the firm.
- 1L Diversity FellowshipPorter Hedges Announces Inaugural Recipient of 1L Diversity Fellowship.