Diversity Scholarship at Texas Southern University
The Porter Hedges Scholarship and Mentorship Program was created to recognize and assist an undergraduate student at Texas Southern University that is interested in pursuing a career in the legal profession upon graduation. The Porter Hedges Scholarship and Mentorship Program will give a talented minority student a real-world look at the practice of law and the many ways in which lawyers serve and contribute to their communities.
In addition to receiving the scholarship award, the selected recipient will participate in a nine-month mentorship program, which includes being paired with a Porter Hedges attorney mentor, being paired with a third-year law student mentor from Thurgood Marshall School of Law, and two visits to the Porter Hedges office in downtown Houston (one visit per semester).
- TSU undergraduate with at least 59 credit hours and who will have completed their sophomore year by the end of 2021 Spring semester
- 3.0 GPA or higher (cumulative)
- Enrolled in classes at TSU for the 2021 Fall semester
- Essay (1,000-word maximum) – see below for essay questions
- Current unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from a professor at TSU
- Respond to one of the following questions in an essay of 1,000 words or fewer:
- Which personal and/or educational experiences have inspired you to pursue a career in law?
- Describe how your commitment to diversity has influenced your desire to pursue a career in law.
- Describe your career goals and how those goals will have an impact on you, your family, and your community.
- Describe a significant obstacle that you have faced in your life and how that obstacle has shaped your career path.
Submission Deadline: April 30, 2021
Award Announcement: May 21, 2021
Scholarship Amount: up to $10,000
Application Instructions: Scholarship applicants must submit all application materials by email to Ashley Black no later than 11:59 pm CT on Friday, April 30, 2021, to be considered for the scholarship.
- 1L Diversity FellowshipPorter Hedges Announces Inaugural Recipient of 1L Diversity Fellowship.
- Recognizing AchievementsPorter Hedges is proud to celebrate the accomplishments of our women lawyers across the firm.
- Diversity ScholarshipPorter Hedges Announces Inaugural Recipient of Scholarship at Texas Southern University