Diversity Scholarship at Texas Southern University
The Porter Hedges Scholarship and Pre-Law Mentorship Program was created to recognize and assist an undergraduate student at Texas Southern University that is interested in pursuing a career in the legal profession upon graduation. The Porter Hedges Scholarship and Pre-Law Mentorship Program will give a talented minority student a real-world look at the practice of law and the many ways in which lawyers serve and contribute to their communities.
In addition to receiving the scholarship award, the selected recipient will participate in a nine-month mentorship program, which includes one-on-one meetings with Porter Hedges attorneys (three per semester), being paired with a third-year law student mentor from Thurgood Marshall School of Law, and a visit to the Porter Hedges office in downtown Houston.
- TSU undergraduate with at least 59 credit hours and who will have completed their sophomore year by the end of the 2023 Spring semester
- 3.0 GPA or higher (cumulative)
- Enrolled in classes at TSU for the 2023 Fall semester
- Essay (1,000-word maximum) – see below for essay question
- Current unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from a professor at TSU
Respond to the following question in an essay of 1,000 words or fewer:
- Describe your career goals and how those goals will have an impact on you, your family, and your community.
Submission Deadline: June 16, 2023
Award Announcement: July 31, 2023
Scholarship Amount: up to $10,000
Submission Instructions: Scholarship applicants must submit all application materials by email to Ashley Black no later than 11:59 pm CT on Friday, June 16, 2023, to be considered for the scholarship. All application materials should be saved as one PDF document prior to submission.