Diversity and Inclusion
Porter Hedges strives to attract, retain, and promote outstanding lawyers and other professionals who reflect the marketplace, communities, and clients that we serve.
The strength of Porter Hedges derives from the diverse strengths of individuals who represent a variety of viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds. We believe that diversity enhances the quality of our work and better enables us to understand our clients' needs and provide superior service.
Our goal is to attract, retain, and promote outstanding lawyers and other professionals who reflect the marketplace, communities, and clients that we serve. We are committed to achieving greater diversity, not just for our firm, but also for our profession.
Diversity and Inclusion Committee Mission Statement
The Porter Hedges Diversity and Inclusion Committee leads the effort to recruit, support, and retain attorneys from diverse backgrounds and promotes participation in activities supporting diversity in our community. Here is its mission:
- To assess the firm's diversity strengths and shortcomings so that minority lawyers can reach their professional potential and achieve personal and professional satisfaction
- To heighten and cultivate the firm's appreciation of the variety of backgrounds, personal characteristics, and skills that contribute to a successful business and professional organization
- To recommend strategic initiatives to recruit, support, and retain attorneys from diverse backgrounds, and promote participation in activities supporting diversity in our community, including the following:
- Increase the number of women and minority attorneys working at the firm primarily through recruiting and retention of attorneys
- Identify minority and women attorney programs, organizations, and recruiting and marketing activities that the firm should support
- Evaluate diversity initiatives in the legal profession on an on-going basis
- To create an inclusive work environment for all Porter Hedges employees through internal programming and trainings
1L Diversity Fellowship Program
The Porter Hedges 1L Diversity Fellowship is awarded annually to a first-year law student with a strong commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion. The fellowship program provides the selected candidate the opportunity to receive up to $25,000 in stipends during their participation in the program. Additional details can be found here.
Diversity Scholarship at Texas Southern University
The Porter Hedges Diversity Scholarship at Texas Southern University (TSU) is awarded annually to an undergraduate student at TSU who is interested in pursuing a career in the legal profession upon graduation. The scholarship provides the selected student with scholarship money up to $10,000 and the opportunity to participate in a 9-month mentorship program. Additional details can be found here.
Diversity Committee in Action
The firm supports diversity initiatives throughout the community in which it serves, including:
- Firm membership and participation in the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity.
- Joyce Kao Soliman, Chair of the Diversity Committee, is the former President of the Asian American Bar Association of Houston.
- Ephraim del Pozo, is the former President of the Mexican American Bar Association of Houston and is a former Director of the Hispanic Bar Association of Houston.
- Joe Cohen was selected as the 2019 recipient of the DRI Sheryl J. Willert Pioneer Diversity Award.
- Ray Torgerson is the Co-Chair of the Native American Law Section of the State Bar of Texas for a one-year term running from 2019-2020. Ray previously served as the Chair from 2007-2009, 2012-2013, and 2018-2019.
- Support diverse associations, including:
- Asian American Bar Association of Houston
- Hispanic Bar Association of Houston
- Mexican American Bar Association of Houston
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color
- Houston Lawyers Association
- Texas Minority Counsel Program
- National Conference of Vietnamese American Attorneys
- Houston Diversity Council
- Support minority students law school associations, including:
- South Texas College of Law - Hispanic, Black, Asian Pacific American, South Asian, and Persian Law Students Associations
- Thurgood Marshall School of Law - Hispanic Law Student Association
- University of Houston Law Center - Hispanic, Black, and Asian Law Students Associations, Association of Women in Law, OUTLaw
- University of Texas School of Law - Thurgood Marshall Legal Society, Women’s Law Caucus, OUTLaw, Chicano/Hispanic, and Asian Law Students Association
|Joyce Kao Soliman |
Chair, Diversity & Inclusion Committee
|Ashley H. Black |
Diversity & Inclusion Manager
- Firm News, 04.12.2022
- Firm News, 04.06.2022
- Firm News, 04.01.2022
- Firm News, 03.16.2022
- Firm News, 02.10.2022
- Firm News, 09.01.2021
- Firm News, 08.04.2021
- Firm News, 04.08.2021
- Firm News, 04.06.2021
- Firm News, 03.15.2021
- Firm News, 03.09.2021
- Firm News, 03.01.2021
- Firm News, 01.27.2021
- Firm News, 01.11.2021
- Firm News, 11.12.2020
- Firm News, 10.29.2020
- Firm News, 09.30.2020
- Firm News, 09.22.2020
- Firm News, 07.14.2020
- Firm News, 06.02.2020
- Recognition, 03.09.2020
- Firm News, 02.24.2020
- Firm News, 01.06.2020
- Firm News, 06.21.2019
- Recognition, 06.20.2019
- Firm News, 06.13.2019
- Porter Hedges Reaffirms Support for the Houston Bar Association’s Gender Fairness Committee StatementFirm News, 01.29.2019
- Firm News, 10.05.2018
- “Joe Cohen: Friend, Colleague, and Leader,” DRI Fall 2021 Women in the Law ChampionMedia Mention, 10.13.2021
- Media Mention, 12.21.2020
- Publication, 10.27.2020
- Mansfield RulePorter Hedges Joins the Midsize Mansfield Rule Certification Program
- Billable Credit for Diversity ActivitiesPorter Hedges Introduces Billable Hour Credit Policy for Diversity Related Activities
- LCLD PathfinderJamie Houston selected as 2022 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Pathfinder