Diversity and Inclusion
Porter Hedges strives to attract, retain, and promote outstanding lawyers and other professionals who reflect the marketplace, communities, and clients that we serve.
The strength of Porter Hedges derives from the diverse strengths of individuals who represent a variety of viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds. We believe that diversity enhances the quality of our work and better enables us to understand our clients' needs and provide superior service.
Our goal is to attract, retain, and promote outstanding lawyers and other professionals who reflect the marketplace, communities, and clients that we serve. We are committed to achieving greater diversity, not just for our firm, but also for our profession.
Diversity and Inclusion Committee Mission Statement
The Porter Hedges Diversity and Inclusion Committee leads the effort to recruit, support, and retain attorneys from diverse backgrounds and promotes participation in activities supporting diversity in our community. Here is its mission:
- To assess the firm's diversity strengths and shortcomings so that minority lawyers can reach their professional potential and achieve personal and professional satisfaction
- To heighten and cultivate the firm's appreciation of the variety of backgrounds, personal characteristics, and skills that contribute to a successful business and professional organization
- To recommend strategic initiatives to recruit, support, and retain attorneys from diverse backgrounds, and promote participation in activities supporting diversity in our community, including the following:
- Increase the number of women and minority attorneys working at the firm primarily through recruiting and retention of attorneys
- Identify minority and women attorney programs, organizations, and recruiting and marketing activities that the firm should support
- Evaluate diversity initiatives in the legal profession on an on-going basis
- To create an inclusive work environment for all Porter Hedges employees through internal programming and trainings
Diversity Committee in Action
The firm supports diversity initiatives throughout the community in which it serves, including:
- Joyce Kao Soliman, Chair of the Diversity Committee, is the former President of the Asian American Bar Association of Houston.
- Ephraim del Pozo, is the former President of the Mexican American Bar Association of Houston and is a former Director of the Hispanic Bar Association of Houston.
- Joe Cohen was selected as the 2019 recipient of the DRI Sheryl J. Willert Pioneer Diversity Award.
- Ray Torgerson is the Co-Chair of the Native American Law Section of the State Bar of Texas for a one-year term running from 2019-2020. Ray previously served as the Chair from 2007-2009, 2012-2013, and 2018-2019.
- Support diverse associations, including:
- Asian American Bar Association of Houston
- Hispanic Bar Association of Houston
- Mexican American Bar Association of Houston
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color
- Houston Lawyers Association
- Texas Minority Counsel Program
- National Conference of Vietnamese American Attorneys
- Houston Diversity Council
- Support minority students law school associations, including:
- South Texas College of Law - Hispanic, Black, Asian Pacific American, South Asian, and Persian Law Students Associations
- Thurgood Marshall School of Law - Hispanic Law Student Association
- University of Houston Law Center - Hispanic, Black, and Asian Law Students Associations, Association of Women in Law, OUTLaw
- University of Texas School of Law - Thurgood Marshall Legal Society, Women’s Law Caucus, OUTLaw, Chicano/Hispanic, and Asian Law Students Association
- Firm News, 06.21.2019
- Recognition, 06.20.2019
- Firm News, 06.13.2019
- Porter Hedges Reaffirms Support for the Houston Bar Association’s Gender Fairness Committee StatementFirm News, 01.29.2019
- Firm News, 10.05.2018