Cory Sweers represents clients in all stages of the construction process, from drafting, reviewing, and negotiating construction agreements to litigation and arbitration of construction disputes. He has experience advising and representing clients in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating EPC and other contracts relating to commercial, industrial, multi-family, energy, and renewable construction projects.
In addition to construction transactions, Cory advises and represents clients regarding a wide range of construction disputes in both litigation and arbitration, including construction defect claims, delay claims, lost productivity claims, change order disputes, wrongful contract termination disputes, mechanic's lien issues, and bond claims.
Honors & Recognitions
The Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer in Construction
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with highest honors, 2016
Clerk of Chancellors, 2016
Recent Developments Editor for the Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law
B.A., Patrick Henry College, Government, summa cum laude, 2013
United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Represented EPC contractor in negotiating EPC contracts for utility-scale solar electric generating facilities in Texas and California.
- Drafted EPC contract on behalf of the owner for the development of a $400 million biomass to renewable natural gas facility.
- Drafted EPC contract on behalf of the owner for the development of a $500 million LNG export facility and terminal.
- Represented midstream owner in drafting and negotiating EPC and construction contracts for pipelines, compressor stations, processing plants, and related facilities.
- Represented midstream owner in drafting and negotiation of terms and conditions for use in the purchase of over $500 million of pipe for multiple pipeline projects.
- Represented owners regarding review, drafting, and negotiation of EPC contracts for industrial projects.
- Drafted and revised forms for construction contracts, MSAs, EPC agreements, and equipment purchase agreements for industrial owners.
- Drafted, reviewed and negotiated MSAs for industrial owners.
- Represented general contractor in negotiation of construction contract for approximately $45MM multi-family project in Central Texas.
- Represented general contractor in drafting and negotiation of construction contracts and subcontracts for multiple multi-family residential projects ranging in value from $30MM to over $100MM in Texas and Colorado.
- Represented owners and general contractors regarding contract and subcontract drafting, review, and negotiation for commercial and multi-family residential construction projects.
- Represented lender in review and negotiation of construction contracts for multi-family and commercial projects.
- Represented owners and design professionals regarding review and negotiation of professional services agreements.
- Represented owners in negotiation of residential construction contracts for custom single-family homes.
Litigation and Arbitration
- Successfully represented midstream owner in the trial court and on appeal of $25MM change order dispute with general contractor on pipeline project in Texas, resulting in a take-nothing summary judgment in favor of the owner in the trial court that was affirmed by the court of appeals.
- Successfully defended petrochemical manufacturer in Texas state court litigation and subsequent arbitration of $60MM breach of contract claims, resulting in a court of appeals' decision compelling arbitration, a take-nothing arbitration award in the manufacturer's favor, and trial court confirmation of the arbitration award.
- Successfully defended industrial contractor in arbitration with supplier relating to calculation of amounts due supplier for fabricated steel duct work for an industrial facility, resulting in arbitration award in contractor’s favor.
- Represented EPC contractor in arbitration with drilling subcontractor concerning a large-diameter shaft drilling project in Louisiana.
- Represented general contractors in arbitrations concerning delay and defective work claims against subcontractors on commercial and multifamily residential projects.
- Represented Texas county in litigation with general contractor concerning delay and lost productivity claims on highway expansion project.
- Represented general contractor in arbitrations with subcontractors concerning delay claims on pipeline projects.
- Represented subcontractors in wrongful contract termination disputes on Texas commercial projects.
- Represented mechanical subcontractor in payment bond claims and related lawsuits on Texas public construction projects.
- Represented owners and general contractors in prosecution and defense of construction defect lawsuits regarding multifamily apartment project.
- Advised and counseled real-estate developers, general contractors, oil and gas producers, and oilfield service providers, regarding force majeure and related claims stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Defended oil and gas exploration and production company in title dispute.
- Advised oil and gas producers regarding oil and gas lease interpretation and Joint Operating Agreement disputes.
- Prosecuted claims for breach of a put agreement, resulting in summary judgment for specific performance and attorneys' fees. (QC Holdings, Inc., v. Allconnect, Inc., C.A. No 2018 WL 4091721 (Del. Ch. Aug. 28, 2018))
- Represented oilfield equipment manufacturer in products' liability case and prosecuted indemnity cross-claim in arbitration against distributor.
- Recognition, 06.07.2023
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and Construction in 2022Firm News, 06.10.2022
- Firm News, 06.03.2022
- Firm News, 06.08.2021
- Publication, May/June 2023
- "The Texas Supreme Court Clarifies the Scope of the General Contractor's Duty of Care to Subcontractor Employees," Build HoustonOctober/November 2021
- "SCOTX Clarifies Scope of General Contractor’s Duty of Care to Subcontractor Employees," The Texas LawbookPublication, 07.07.2021
- “Engineering, Procurement, and Construction Contracts in Texas: Key Provisions, Issues and Pitfalls,” State Bar of Texas Construction Law JournalPublication, Summer 2021
- "Commercially Reasonable Efforts in a COVID-19 and Low Oil Price World," Oilman MagazinePublication, 05.2020
- "COVID-19: Force Majeure to the Rescue?" The Houston LawyerPublication, March/April 2020
- "Navigating Trade Secret Misappropriation Claims After Berry-Helfand," Texas Law BookPublication, 03.2019
- "Get Off My Lease: Predicting How Texas Courts Will Resolve Off-Lease Drilling Disputes Under Lightning Oil v. Anadarko," Texas Journal of Oil, Gas and Energy LawPublication, 07.2018
- "The Power of the Congressional Review Act to Repeal Federal Agency Rules," Bloomberg Daily Report for ExecutivesPublication, 05.2017
- "Lightning Oil Company v. Anadarko E&P Onshore: What Does it Mean for E&P Companies?" The Texas Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law's 13th Annual SymposiumSpeaking Engagement, 02.2018
- New Texas Legislation that Restricts Owner-Directed Change Order Rights Takes Effect September 1, 2023Texas Construction Law Blog, 09.01.2023
- Texas Construction Law Blog, 03.07.2023
- Texas Construction Law Blog, 05.24.2022
- The Texas Supreme Court Clarifies the Scope of the General Contractor’s Duty of Care to Subcontractor EmployeesTexas Construction Law Blog, 07.01.2021
State Bar of Texas, Construction Section
Houston Bar Association, Construction Section
Houston Young Lawyers Association