Dan Hedges has more than 30 years of experience representing government agencies, public corporations, private companies, and individuals in internal corporate and government investigations, large commercial multi-party litigation, employment litigation, class action and shareholder derivative suits, antitrust litigation, and qui tam litigation.
Dan served as the chairman of Texas Senators John Cornyn and Kay Bailey Hutchison's Federal Judicial Evaluation Committee, which screens prospective federal judges and U.S. Attorneys. Prior to joining the firm, Dan served as the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Texas from 1981-1985. While in the Justice Department, Dan, along with Dan Webb and Rudolph Giuliani, co-founded the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force. He was selected as the “Most Outstanding Young Lawyer in Texas” for 1982-1983.
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, Leading Lawyer in General Commercial Litigation (Texas)
Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2001-2018
Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2018 (named one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Houston, 2003-2004)
Texas Lawyer, “Impact Player of the Year,” 2001
Who’s Who Legal, Named one of the world’s leading practitioners for Business Crime Defense
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1974
B.A., Dartmouth College, summa cum laude, 1968
Federal District Court Texas
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit
United States Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
United States Supreme Court
- Lead counsel in investigations by SEC, DOJ, EPA, FDA, HHS, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife.
- Lead counsel for KBR in a jury trial victory alleging rape, sexual harassment, and fraud.
- Legal counsel for a purchaser of a foreclosed company from a bank who was then sued (along with the bank) by investors in the foreclosed company.
- Lead counsel for a major corporation which purchased certain assets of a company and was sued by a commissioned sales representative whose sales agreements it did not purchase.
- Lead counsel for an internal corporate investigation of a purchasing agent who set up a sham broker to make individual profits on his employer's sales.
- Lead counsel for an internal investigation of a state agency accused of improprieties in its bidding procedures.
- Local counsel in a multi-state, multi-spill Clean Water Act case by the EPA/Justice Department.
- Lead counsel in numerous multi-party asbestos cases.
- Lead counsel for an oil and gas company which sued another oil and gas company for failure to drill a well.
- Lead counsel in two antitrust cases relating to the deregulated Texas power markets.
- Expert witness on attorneys' fees in proceedings before the Public Utilities Commission of Texas.
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Firm News, 09.05.2017
- Firm News, 08.15.2017
- Firm News, 04.06.2017
- Firm News, 09.06.2016
- Firm News, 08.15.2016
- Firm News, 09.08.2015
- Firm News, 08.17.2015
- Firm News, 11.05.2014
- Media Mention, 02.16.2015
State Bar of Texas, Member
Houston Bar Association, Member
Houston Bar Foundation, Sustaining Fellow
Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Fellow