The energy industry, both in Texas and globally, has come to rely on Porter Hedges for our attorneys’ remarkable level of experience in every aspect of the industry, from oil and gas exploration and production to electric power to alternative/sustainable energy. We have represented the interests of energy clients as plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal court and international arbitration. These disputes can involve virtually any aspect of energy company operations, including:
- Joint operating agreements
- Purchase and sale agreements and merger agreements
- Preferential rights to purchase
- Royalty and pricing issues
- Take or pay, title, leasehold and land disputes, including subsurface damages, tort and insurance defense arising from oil and gas operations
- Unitization agreements
- Derivative contracts for oil and gas swaps and options
- Environmental matters in connection with oil and gas operations
- Exploration agreements
- Gas balancing, marketing, plant accounting, purchase and sales
With decades of work in the industry, we have the experience to settle, try, mediate, or arbitrate controversies to the right conclusion in any forum, efficiently and cost-effectively. Our lawyers know when it is best to litigate and when to pursue negotiation or alternative dispute resolution to settle. We understand the business as well as the legal issues at risk, and we advise clients on the course of action that best protects their interests.
Just a few among the many types of litigation we have successfully resolved for our clients are:
- Allegations of theft of trade secrets and confidential information
- Alleged RICO violations
- Claims of fraud
- Claims of breach of fiduciary duty
- Claims of U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) violations
- Claims of securities and common law fraud Drainage claims
- Drainage claims
- Antitrust claims
- Claims of manipulation of electricity prices
- Damages caused by faulty products.
- Breach of contract for purchase of product
- Claims of tortious interference
- Claims resulting from pipeline damage
- Represented an independent oil and natural gas company in a dispute with a gas gatherer regarding the enforcement of a right of first refusal claimed to be a covenant running with the land in a 20 year-old gas purchasing agreement in West Texas.
- Represented an independent oil and natural gas company in a royalty dispute over several large leases located in Reagan County, Texas where royalty owners are seeking to recover alleged deductions for post-production costs they believe were deducted from their royalty payments.
- Represented an independent oil and natural gas company in an arbitration alleging breach of contract and failure to drill offset wells, with the plaintiff seeking damages and liquidated damages in excess of $100 million.
- Represented an independent oil and natural gas company in a dispute related to delayed production and damages while performing coil tubing operations.
- Represented an independent oil and natural gas company in a suit related to a $440 million acquisition of oil and gas leases and wells in Reagan and Crockett Counties, Texas.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in its claim against a major completion services provider in an arbitration over breach of a dedicated pumping and wireline services agreement.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in a lawsuit to enjoin a surface owner from interfering with its right to develop an oil and gas lease in Ward County, Texas.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in a suit concerning the application of a “most favored nation” clause in an oil and gas lease.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in a mineral lien dispute with its pumping services contractor concerning work performed in Mississippi.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in an arbitration concerning a dispute over the allocation of sale proceeds for an unused drilling carry.
- Represented an independent oil and natural gas company in a dispute to recover a post-closing purchase price adjustment arising out of a $2.48 billion acquisition of oil and gas assets in the Permian Basin.
- Represented NYSE-listed oil and gas company in a breach of contract dispute related to its purchase of all of Pioneer Natural Resources’ oil and gas operations in Argentina.
- Represented an oil and gas exploration and production company in a pipeline rupture suit involving environmental contamination and property damage claims.
- Represented an exploration and production company in a case involving nuisance and negligence claims brought by approximately 82 homeowners in Penitas, Texas regarding 13 wells allegedly drilled too close in proximity to the plaintiffs’ residences.
- Represented a provider of oilfield supply and services in an international arbitration for breach of contract relating to oilfield products.
- Represented defendant against claims asserted by the Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. for allegedly participating in a conspiracy to bribe Venezuelan officials and corrupt oil company employees in exchange for advance information about crude oil prices.
- Represented a petroleum pipeline carrier in a case brought by plaintiff who allegedly developed mesothelioma as a result of alleged exposure to asbestos while working on its pipelines.
- Represented an oil and gas exploration and production company in an arbitration involving competing leases and the interpretation of a Pugh clause and a retained acreage clause.
- Represented an oil and natural gas company in a lawsuit with a surface owner over damages to the surface caused by gathering and salt water disposal operations.
- Represented an oil and natural gas company in a lawsuit with a mineral owner over whether production in paying quantities had been maintained.
- Represented an independent oil producer in a dispute between successor operator and non-operator over interpretation of JOA and operation rights.
- Represented a subsidiary of a supermajor in a lawsuit by completion contractors to foreclose mineral liens in an oil and gas lease covering 100,000 acres.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in a lawsuit concerning the allocation of post-production costs and payment of royalty on production from operations in the Eagle Ford Shale region of Texas.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in multiple cases involving competing leases for drilling rights in more than 900 acres in the Eagle Ford Shale in DeWitt County and Karnes County, Texas.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in a breach of contract case associated with the underpayment of royalties on four large oil and gas leases covering twenty-five producing wells located in Hidalgo and Starr Counties, Texas.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in a dispute concerning title to mineral interests in two Louisiana mineral servitudes as part of a $90 million divestiture of its oil and gas properties in East Texas, North Louisiana, and Mississippi.
- Represented a NYSE-listed energy company in a case involving ownership of Haynesville Shale oil and gas interests located in DeSoto Parish, Louisiana valued at more than $45 million.
- Retired Partner
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and Construction in 2020Firm News, 06.10.2020
- Recognition, 08.15.2019
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in the $300M Acquisition of Marcellus Shale Royalty Interests from Range ResourcesFirm News, 07.19.2019
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and ConstructionRecognition, 06.06.2019
- Firm News, 05.26.2017
- Firm News, 01.23.2017
- Firm News, 12.02.2016
- Firm News, 08.15.2016
- Firm News, 05.27.2016
- Firm News, 10.30.2014
- Media Mention, 01.24.2020
- Publication, 03.03.2020
- Publication, 02.10.2020
- Texas Construction Law Blog, 06.25.2020