Brad Whalen represents clients in litigation – including jury trials, trials to the Court, and arbitrations – in the following areas:
Employee theft, embezzlement, and misconduct
Oil and gas exploration and production equipment
Oil and gas interests
Securities sales practices and regulation
Brad has tried cases to verdict and judgment in courts including Texas federal, Texas state, and federal bankruptcy. He has also tried cases to final award before the American Arbitration Association and before the arbitration associations of the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD) and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 1988
B.A., Texas A&M University, 1985
United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Represented a manufacturer of agricultural equipment in a successful defense against claims of product defect brought by a plaintiff who became entangled in the drive line of a post hole digger and who was severely injured. The jury verdict was for the defense.
- Represented a manufacturer of centrifugal pumps, gaining permanent injunctive relief against a former employee who took and attempted to sell design drawings.
- Represented a chemical products manufacturer, achieving judgments against a former employee and her husband, who embezzled more than $250,000.
- Represented a securities broker dealer in a successful defense against claims by a wealthy and sophisticated investor that he received insufficient and bad investment advice. The claimants walked away from their claims before arbitration.
- Represented a money manager in successfully defending against claims that the management firm's performance did not meet representations about anticipated results. The arbitrators dismissed all claims after one day of testimony.
- Represented an oilfield equipment manufacturer, receiving an arbitration award against a seller of trade credits and its insurance company on refusal to pay a claim under a $2.4 million insurance policy.
- Represented an insurance company executive in recovering a confidential sum on claims that he was terminated on a false claim of sexual harassment.
- Represented the former president of an energy trading firm in recovering a confidential sum on claims that he was terminated on a false basis, and whose severance agreement was breached by his former employer.
- Represented an oil and gas royalty interest owner in recovering a confidential sum on claims against an executive rights owner which breached its fiduciary duties.
- Represented a stockbroker, achieving an arbitration award against his former employer on claims of defamation.
- Represented a water authority in its successful acquisition of real property interests for a potable water pipeline.
- Represented a motorist injured by an 18-wheeler driver in successfully resolving his claims for injuries caused by a reckless driver.
- Represented an oilfield equipment manufacturer in recovering patterns entrusted to a bankrupt vendor less than a week after the vendor filed its bankruptcy petition.
- Represented a PVC pipe manufacturer in dismissal of claims brought against it and reimbursement of $50,000 in attorneys' fees by the party which sued the pipe manufacturer.
- Media Mention, 06.27.2022
- Media Mention, 12.20.2021
- Media Mention, 10.28.2021
- Media Mention, 10.21.2021
- Media Mention, 08.02.2016
- "Legal Issues in Communication: The Accessibility, Impact, and Permanence of Electronic Communications," National Oilwell Varco 2014 HSE Leadership ConferenceSpeaking Engagement, 10.06.2014
State Bar of Texas, Member
Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Houston Bar Association, Member
Regis School of the Sacred Heart, former Board Chair