Sean McChristian is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Construction Law and represents contractors, subcontractors, developers, owners, suppliers, sureties, and design professionals in all types of construction-related disputes. These include claims for: delay, acceleration, impact, and inefficiency; defective plans and specifications; construction defects; payment and performance; wrongful termination; cost overrun and extra work; and bond and lien claims.
His practice also focuses on resolving complex business issues and disputes involving contracts, trade secrets, and business torts. Sean has experience with a range of industries and sectors including construction, energy, manufacturing, commercial real estate, multifamily housing, and technology.
Honors & Recognitions
Top Lawyer, Construction Law, Houstonia Magazine, 2018
J.D., South Texas College of Law, cum laude, 2008
B.A., University of Texas at Austin, Government, 2005
United States District Courts for the Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- Represented a general contractor in connection with a nonpayment claim by a subcontractor and claims against a municipality and its engineer related to delays and wrongful denial of change orders arising from the expansion of a municipal water treatment facility.
- Represented the owner and developer of a hotel in claims against the general contractor, mechanical subcontractor, HVAC supplier, HVAC equipment manufacturer, HVAC component manufacturer, piping insulation manufacturer, and associated sureties arising from a defective and malfunctioning HVAC system.
- Represented an EPC contractor in connection with the termination of a subcontractor for cause due to various issues with work performed on a refinery expansion project.
- Represented a framing subcontractor in claims by a general contractor related to the quality of work performed during construction of a midrise apartment complex and associated delay and liquidated damages claims.
- Represented a disaster recovery contractor in claims against a governmental entity arising from work performed after Hurricane Ike related to the amount owed for work performed and counterclaims based on allegations of improper overbilling.
- Represented an industrial contractor in delay and inefficiency claims arising from construction of a new methyl acrylate unit at a chemical facility.
- Represented an EPC contractor regarding extra work claims made by subcontractor arising from design and construction of new cracking furnaces at a chemical facility.
- Represented an industrial contractor regarding nonpayment and lien claims arising from the construction, repair, and retrofitting of a biofuel refinery.
- Represented a general contractor and its surety regarding nonpayment claim and claim on payment bond by a subcontractor.
- Represented an engineer and surveyor in claims regarding over clearing of trees and brush in connection with installation of new sewer line.
- Represented homeowners and builders in various residential construction defect claims.
- Firm News, 07.10.2019
- Firm News, 03.04.2019
- Firm News, 07.10.2018
- Firm News, 01.31.2018
- Amy Wolfshohl and Sean McChristian Receive Certification in Construction Law from the Texas Board of Legal SpecializationFirm News, 01.11.2017
- Firm News, 05.20.2015
- Firm News, 01.27.2015
- Media Mention, 05.08.2019
- Media Mention, 05.07.2018
- Media Mention, 02.09.2018
- Texas Construction Law Blog: "UPDATE – More Construction Bills to Watch in the 86th Texas Legislative Session"Publication, 02.26.2019
- Publication, 01.31.2019
- Texas Construction Law Blog: "Hurricane Season and Disaster Preparedness: Part 1 – Review Your Construction Contracts Now, Not After the Storm"Publication, 08.02.2018
- Publication, 04.01.2018
- “Moving from Mastec to Metcalf”, Construction Law Journal, Volume 13, Number 1, published by the Construction Law Section of the State Bar of TexasPublication, 12.01.2016
- Construction Alert: "Texas Supreme Court Opinion Impacts General Contractor's Statutory Indemnity Rights Against Manufacturers of Construction Products"Publication, 06.28.2016
- “Construction Meets Texas Law: Selected Statutory Overrides,” 29th Annual State Bar of Texas Construction Law ConferencePublication, 03.04.2016
- Publication, 11.16.2015
- "Construction in the Oil Patch – Navigating Lien and Indemnity Issues," 2018 Annual CLE for Board Certified Construction LawyersSpeaking Engagement, 12.12.2018
- “Construction Meets Texas Law: Selected Statutory Overrides,” 29th Annual State Bar of Texas Construction Law ConferenceSpeaking Engagement, 03.04.2016
- “Debris Removal Program Case Study,” Houston-Galveston Area Council Disaster Debris Workshop SeriesSpeaking Engagement, 05.20.2015
- "Four Recent Texas Supreme Court Cases Affecting the Construction Industry," Porter Hedges Construction Law ProgramSpeaking Engagement, 02.24.2015
- State Bar of Texas, Construction Section, Legislative Affairs Advisor
- American Bar Association, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Construction Section, Member