Porter Hedges provides comprehensive legal counsel on all aspects of tax credit finance transactions. Our depth of knowledge and unique enterprise gives us the capability to handle the most complex issues involving projects with tax credits. We creatively and strategically structure, negotiate, and document loan transactions to develop and rehabilitate affordable housing projects and repurpose historic buildings and landmarks, and handle other structures using tax credits and other financial incentives.
Our section represents lenders, developers, non-profit organizations, and community development organizations to maximize and take advantage of local, state and federal tax credits to get the most value out of each project. Our experience includes virtually every aspect of tax credit transactions:
- Low-Income Housing Tax Credit
- New Markets Tax Credit
- Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit
Our firm has helped to develop, preserve, restore, renovate, and rehabilitate a number of projects such as hotels, downtown skyscrapers, historic theaters, retail department centers, multi-family buildings, factories, and other historic structures and buildings.
- Financing for acquisitions and renovations through a variety of methods, including structuring multiple layers of debt, grants, and mezzanine equity.
- Purchase and sale of real property and assets, as well as secondary market tax credits.
- Obtaining, monetizing, and structuring various tax credits, including state and federal New Markets Tax Credits.
- Acquiring capital to complete construction and rehabilitation of various historic structures.
- Assessing project eligibility for tax credits and obtaining required federal and state certification.
- Forming funds for tax credit syndication.
- Financing for development and renovation of affordable housing projects involving low income housing tax credits.
- Represented a financial institution in connection with a construction loan for a 200-key DoubleTree Hotel in Boerne, Texas, involving county and city tax incentive agreements.
- Represented a financial institution in connection with a tax credit finance transaction involving a hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Represented a financial institution in connection with a historic tax credit conversion of an office building in downtown Houston into a major hotel.