George Craft leads the firm’s real estate and real estate finance sections. His practice focuses on a wide range of real estate related transactions including real estate finance, acquisition and disposition of real estate related assets, structuring of various real estate entities and real estate loan workouts. He has been Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Commercial Real Estate Law and Residential Real Estate Law since 1983.
Representing Developers, Investors, Landlords & Tenants
George represents both foreign and domestic developers and investors in acquiring, disposing of, developing, and leasing all types of commercial real estate, including mid- and high-rise luxury condominium projects, mid- and high-rise multi-family complexes, office buildings, residential subdivisions, regional shopping centers, unimproved property, hotels, golf courses, deep water facilities, and industrial warehouses and developments. He also represents landlords and tenants regarding complex lease issues, including development agreements, operating agreements, reciprocal access, and restrictive covenant agreements.
George's practice also includes representing lenders in construction loans, development loans, and loans secured by unimproved property and improved property, including regional shopping centers, mini warehouse facilities, office buildings, hotels, golf courses, industrial complexes, residential subdivisions, flex space, mid- and high-rise luxury condominium projects, and mid and high rise multi-family complexes, low-income housing tax credit transactions, historical tax credit transactions and the construction of improvements on leasehold estates. He also represents lenders in connection with aircraft financing secured by airframes, aircraft engines and avionics and lenders providing law firm financing.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law
Texas Super Lawyers, Real Estate
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1973
B.B.A., Texas Christian University, Finance, 1970
Board Certified, Commercial Real Estate Law, Residential Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
George Craft’s representations have included the following:
- The sellers of more than 22,000 acres of land located in Wharton and Colorado Counties, Texas together with related water rights and agreements with the LCRA.
- Certain partners in refinancing and redeeming partnership interests involving a 60 acre industrial project in Houston.
- Seller of 3,500 +/- acres bordering the Rio Grande River for the construction of an international bridge between Texas and Mexico, including matters dealing with Class A water rights, border wall construction, Texas Attorney General approval, and agreements with the United States Border Patrol and U.S. Customs.
- Various lenders regarding several major multi-family projects.
- Lender in an $80,000,000 credit facility for acquiring the Gulf Coast's largest industrial park, which spans 10,897 acres (three-fourths the size of Manhattan), including rail and warehouse facilities which was subsequently modified and increased to $100,00,000+ for the expansion of rail facilities and warehouse construction.
- Various developers in acquiring, developing, leasing, and financing numerous retail power centers.
- Various developers in acquiring, developing, leasing, and financing numerous industrial projects.
- Seller of Eagle Lake, one of the largest private lakes in Texas.
- Various lenders in connection with numerous luxury mid and high-rise condominium projects.
- The purchaser of an 850+ acre industrial complex in Harris County, including warehouses, water treatment plant, wastewater treatment plant, and landfill facilities, together with ongoing development and leasing.
- Lender in connection with a $160,000,000+ loan for construction of an office complex in Dallas, Texas.
- Lenders in financing construction of numerous hotels, including historic tax credit transactions.
- Lenders engaged in law firm financing.
- Firm News, 09.18.2023
- Porter Hedges Represents Lender in the Financing of CityStreet Residential Partners’ Acquisition of Stone Oak Ranch RV Resort in AustinFirm News, 08.25.2023
- Firm News, 08.17.2023
- The Houston Business Journal Once Again Names Porter Hedges Among the Largest Real Estate Firms in HoustonRecognition, 06.02.2023
- Recognition, 09.21.2022
- Firm News, 08.18.2022
- Recognition, 09.23.2021
- Porter Hedges Represents International Bank of Commerce in the Financing of Four Master-Planned Communities in Central and North TexasFirm News, 09.01.2021
- Recognition, 08.19.2021
- Firm News, 10.20.2020
- Recognition, 09.08.2020
- Recognition, 08.19.2020
- Firm News, 01.24.2020
- Recognition, 09.03.2019
- Recognition, 08.15.2019
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Recognition, 08.15.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents International Bank of Commerce in the Financing of the Katy Village LP and Katy Village Investments LP 84 Acre Purchase in Houston’s Energy CorridorFirm News, 04.25.2018
- Recognition, 09.05.2017
- Recognition, 08.15.2017
- Recognition, 09.06.2016
- Recognition, 08.15.2016
- Porter Hedges Real Estate Team Advises Reserve at Shadow Creek Ranch and NewQuest Crosswell on the HealthSouth Corp. New Rehabilitation Hospital in PearlandFirm News, 03.29.2016
- Firm News, 10.14.2015
- Recognition, 08.17.2015
- Firm News, 02.27.2015
- Firm News, 10.03.2014
- Media Mention, 12.22.2015
State Bar of Texas, Member of Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law, and Environmental & Natural Resources Law sections
Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
Houston Bar Association, Member of Environmental Law and Real Estate Law sections
American Bar Association, Member of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law section; former Committee Member, Real Estate Finance Section
Houston Real Estate Lawyers Counsel, Member
Texas Association of Bank Counsel, Member
Texas College of Real Estate Attorneys, Member
River Oaks Property Owners Association, past President and Chairman of the Board
Proctor Academy, Andover, N.H.; past Member, Board of Trustees
River Oaks Baptist School, Houston, Texas; past Member, Development Board