David is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Construction Law - a certification held by less than 1% of the practicing attorneys in Texas. David represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers in complex construction and government contract disputes, as well as other entities in commercial disputes, often involving long-term supply agreements for the purchase and sale of LNG or petrochemicals used in the energy industry.
Although David has handled his fair share of domestic disputes, a unique feature of his practice is extensive experience representing clients in international commercial arbitrations throughout the world — including London, Singapore, Dubai, New York, Washington DC, and Houston — under leading institutions like the International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA). On behalf of his clients, David has defeated multiple claims without a hearing or on summary disposition — an uncommon result in arbitration — and on multiple occasions has obtained an award of attorneys’ fees when representing the Respondent — another rare feat in arbitration. David has successfully defended against challenges to party-appointed arbitrators, defeated requests for expedited interim relief and emergency relief, and defeated and prosecuted requests that a party post security to support a final award.
Clients have recently described David as “deliberate and always well prepared” and an attorney who, during trial, “was dialed in and brought it every day” and “knew the facts and the evidence more than any lawyer in the room.”
David’s pragmatic approach also extends outside of court and arbitration, where he acts as a third-party neutral in mediation to help parties resolve their disputes.
When not practicing law, David can probably be found at the neighborhood baseball field, where he is actively involved coaching his three sons’ little league teams.
J.D., South Texas College of Law, cum laude, 2007
B.S., Tulane University, Business Administration, 2003
International and Domestic Arbitration
- Represented an international ultra-deep-water drilling rig manager in ICC arbitration against a party seeking $19 million in alleged breach of contract and liquidated damages.
- Represented a Thai company that manufactures and sells silicone products in an ICC arbitration involving $60+ million in disputed charges arising out of a long-term purchase and sale agreement.
- Represented Mexican utility company in ICC arbitration involving dispute surrounding long-term agreement for supply of LNG.
- Represented Japanese manufacturer of chemicals in arbitration involving claims for construction delays and increased costs resulting from force majeure and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Represented a contractor against a Kuwaiti company in $150+ million ICDR arbitration involving disputes arising under more than 20 subcontracts.
- Represented a government contractor in a $35 million ICDR arbitration involving termination-for-convenience claims and causes of action for fraud, duress, and breach of contract.
- Represented a general contractor in $4 million ICDR arbitration involving breach of contract and fraud claims arising from subcontractor assets confiscated by Iraqi government.
- Represented a government contractor in an ICDR arbitration against its subcontractor involving claims for breach of contract, negligence, and conversion.
- Represented a construction company against a Jordanian company in a $2.5 million water well dispute governed by the LCIA.
- Represented large railroad services and construction company in claims brought against owner for wrongful termination of long-term contract.
- Represented a construction company in a AAA dispute regarding fabrication of military watchtowers in Djibouti, Africa.
- Represented an industrial contractor in multiple breach of contract actions arising out of the expansion of a chemical plant in Freeport, Texas.
- Represented a refinery owner in a AAA arbitration involving a dispute over the right to access industrial dock space in Corpus Christi, Texas.
In State Court
- Represented general contractor in lawsuit brought by owner of pipeline for alleged construction defects.
- Represented a U.S. government contractor defending a case in which a subcontractor sought $23 million in damages.
- Represented the owner of a refinery in Corpus Christi in a $50+ million construction dispute involving claims for delay, defective design, liquidated damages, and other issues.
- Represented a hospital in a landlord-tenant dispute concerning flooding, mold and other construction-related defects.
- Represented general contractor in $75 million dispute in claims brought against owner for wrongful termination of pipeline construction contract.
- Represented an owner against a general contractor and its subcontractors in a $10 million delay claim related to construction of compressor station.
- Represented a pipe distributor in a $4 million dispute concerning pipe that failed during use in a salt-water disposal well.
- Represented property owner in land dispute surrounding rights to use an easement.
- Represented partner in dispute over ownership rights in a company.
In Federal Court
- Represented a major construction company as plaintiff in multi-million-dollar case in the Southern District of Texas concerning transportation of fuel throughout Iraq, obtaining summary judgment for the client.
- Represented a defendant in a case involving trademark infringement and allegations of RICO act violations in the Northern District of Texas, resulting after trial in a full denial of the plaintiff’s request for relief.
- Represented a company in a case involving fraud and breach of contract claims arising out of estimates of oil reserves, resulting in a favorable summary judgment and affirmation by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a company that provides corrosion protection services in a suit brought by a wholesale stocking manufacturer and distributor of gate valves and wellhead components. After summary judgment briefing, plaintiff voluntarily dismissed claims.
- Represented an owner in drafting and negotiating purchase orders issued for constructing the world’s largest chemical complex ever built in a single phase.
- Counsels Fortune 100 company in negotiations in agreements involving the supply and transportation of fuel and diesel.
- Counsels United States government contractor for the supply of LNG to major U.S. military base and for negotiating modifications to the prime contract.
- Firm News, 06.03.2022
- David Salton Receives Certification in Construction Law from the Texas Board of Legal SpecializationFirm News, 07.13.2021
- Firm News, 06.08.2021
- Firm News, 07.10.2019
- Firm News, 01.31.2018
- Recognition, 05.20.2015
- Recognition, 01.27.2015
- Media Mention, 05.07.2018
- Media Mention, 02.09.2018
- "Recent Trends in International Arbitration and 2021 International Rule Changes," State Bar of Texas Construction Law JournalPublication, Winter 2021
- Employment/Construction Alert: "New DOL Regulations Clarify Families First Coronavirus Response Act’s COVID-19 Paid Leave Policy"Publication, 04.09.2020
- "Don't Forget These Points When Negotiating the Arbitration Clause of Your International Construction Contract," TerraLex ConnectionsPublication, 07.07.2017
- Construction Alert: "When Is It Cool Not to Pay? Fridge Dispute at Texas Supreme Court Addresses Prior Material Breach Doctrine"Publication, 05.09.2017
- Publication, 05.05.2017
- "A Roadmap to Recovering Attorneys' Fees the Next Time You Compel Arbitration," TerraLex ConnectionsPublication, 05.01.2017
- Construction Alert: "Texas Supreme Court Opinion Impacts General Contractor's Statutory Indemnity Rights Against Manufacturers of Construction Products"Publication, 06.28.2016
- Publication, 11.16.2015
- Texas Construction Law Blog, 03.28.2022
- Texas Construction Law Blog, 05.23.2019
- Texas Construction Law Blog, 09.06.2018
State Bar of Texas, Member
Houston Bar Association, International Law Section, Treasurer
Houston Bar Association, Member