Colin Cox represents commercial and residential developers, purchasers, sellers, lenders, and borrowers in a wide variety of real estate transactions. His practice also focuses on drafting and negotiating leases and related ancillary documents including letters of intent, lease guaranties, subordination non-disturbance and attornment agreements, memoranda of leases, franchisor addenda, and estoppels.
Prior to joining Porter Hedges, Colin was an Associate Counsel at Weingarten Realty Investors in Houston, Texas. This experience helps Colin analyze complex issues from a client’s perspective and anticipate potential pitfalls in real estate transactions.
Honors & Recognitions
Order of Barristers
Dean’s Student Advocacy Service Award
J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston, cum laude, 2014
Order of Lytae
South Texas College of Law Houston Board of Advocates, Chair
South Texas Law Review, Note and Comment Editor
B.A., Rhodes College, 2009
- Negotiate and draft commercials leases (including office and retail) to execution.
- Manage multiple leasing transactions from letter of intent stage through post-execution and coordinate delivery of the premises with the construction department.
- Draft and review other documents related to commercial lease negotiations, including default letters, termination agreements, and settlement agreements.
- Draft and negotiate all types of leasing amendments and workout amendments.
- Research existing exclusive uses and restrictions to determine if proposed uses are permissible at shopping centers.
- Research, review, and summarize existing restrictions for clients to determine approvals required to re-develop certain areas of the shopping centers.
- Draft purchase and sale agreements for commercial properties, including multifamily, unimproved, improved, and industrial for various purchasers and sellers.
- Review title and survey matters for commercial properties and prepare title and survey objection letters.
- Draft and revise closing documents for commercial real estate transactions for various buyers and sellers.
- Advise clients regarding restrictive covenants, easements, and other encumbrances filed of record against commercial properties.