Colin Cox represents developers, purchasers, sellers, borrowers, lenders, and other parties in real estate transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions. He also negotiates, prepares, and maintains commercial real estate leases in Texas and across the country, including representing landlords and tenants from small shops to big-box national properties.
In addition, Colin regularly collaborates with colleagues in other practice groups on transactions involving real estate. In these transactions, Colin’s clients benefit from his responsiveness and his ability to help them maintain flexibility in an evolving market.
Colin highly values his role in helping clients achieve their business goals, a role he came to appreciate in his prior experience as an Associate Counsel in the legal department of the New York Stock Exchange real estate investment trust, Weingarten Realty Investors. Accordingly, Colin identifies issues early on and works effectively and efficiently to resolve them on behalf of his clients.
Honors & Recognitions
Order of Barristers
Dean’s Student Advocacy Service Award
J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston, cum laude, 2014
Order of Lytae
South Texas College of Law Houston Board of Advocates, Chair
South Texas Law Review, Note and Comment Editor
B.A., Rhodes College, 2009
Acquisitions, Dispositions, and Lending Transactions:
- Privately held commercial real estate company in acquiring and selling shopping centers across the country.
- A retail and wholesale fuel distribution and convenience store business in acquiring company-owned and operated convenience stores.
- Lenders in conducting title and survey review of real estate properties that will serve as collateral for loans.
Commercial Leasing Transactions:
- Various landlords in negotiating and drafting shopping center leases, including ground leases in existing retail developments and multiple in line leases to national and regional tenants in Texas and around the country.
- Various landlords and tenants in negotiating and drafting office leases.
- Large REIT in leasing retail space in the Houston-area.
- A client as tenant in negotiating an office lease for approximately 55,100 square feet of office space.
- Manage multiple leasing transactions from letter of intent stage through post-execution and coordinate delivery of the premises with the construction department.
- Draft and review other documents related to commercial lease negotiations, including default letters, termination agreements, and settlement agreements.
- Research existing exclusive uses and restrictions for a privately held commercial real estate company to determine if proposed uses are permissible at shopping centers.
- Research, review and summarize existing restrictions for various landlords to determine approvals required to re-develop certain areas of the shopping centers.
- Porter Hedges Represents Austin-based Longhorn Car-Truck Rental in its Sale of Assets to Herc Rentals Inc.Firm News, 08.10.2022
- Firm News, 06.24.2022
- Firm News, 11.10.2021