J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 2001
B.A., Plan II Honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1997
United States District Courts for the Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
James Thompson is a partner in the energy section of Porter Hedges and leader of the Property & Finance practice group. He represents a wide spectrum of energy companies and participants, including majors, independents, management groups, oilfield services companies and royalty owners.
James has represented buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of upstream oil and gas assets (leasehold, mineral fee, royalty) across more than 20 states and in all major basins, including financing and joint venture transactions. His practice includes the negotiation of all types of oil and gas-related agreements, upstream and midstream. His practice also includes renewable energy matters, energy-related disputes and transactional matters outside of the energy industry.
James is board certified in Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He has been selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers for each year since 2014 and Texas Rising Stars in 2008 and 2011-14 for Energy and Natural Resources Law.
Upstream Energy Transactions
- Represented Texas-based MLP in $340 million acquisition of oil and gas assets in 20 states.
- Represented Canada-based public company in a series of acquisitions of oil and gas assets in the Permian Basin and STACK totaling over $350 million.
- Represented Texas-based public company in $110 million divestiture of oil and gas assets in the Bakken.
- Represented Texas-based MLP in $100 million acquisition of oil and gas assets in 20 states.
- Represented Texas-based MLP in a series of acquisitions of oil and gas assets in the DJ Basin, Eagle Ford, Permian Basin, East Texas and other areas totaling over $300 million.
- Represented public company in connection with the sale of oil and gas assets in the Outer Continental Shelf of the Gulf of Mexico for an undisclosed amount.
- Represented Texas-based MLP in the negotiation of a joint development agreement in East Texas covering multiple counties.
- Represented a Japanese energy company in connection with the purchase of oil and gas properties in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented US oil and gas company regarding the licensing of certain data and the negotiation of a net profits interest covering a prospect in Italy.
- On an ongoing basis, representation of management groups for private equity-backed energy companies.
- On an ongoing basis, representation of oil and gas companies with respect to joint ventures for the acquisition, exploration and development of oil and gas upstream assets.
Renewable Energy and Other Transactions
- Represented a wind energy company regarding the sale of its wind energy interests in North Texas for undisclosed amount.
- Negotiation of geothermal lease covering over 45,000 acres.
- Represented airport infrastructure company and management group with respect to private equity funding and airport infrastructure project.
- Represented environmental services company in restructuring and other matters.
- Represented various oil and gas companies and royalty owners with respect to title disputes.
- Represented various oil and gas companies in disputes with respect to JOA, exploration, preferential right, AMI, participation and farmout agreements.
- Represented various oil and gas companies and royalty owners in disputes regarding executive rights, royalty deductions, development obligations and related matters.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Member of Section Council, Houston Bar Association - Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section
- Houston Producers' Forum, Member
- Texas Independent Producers & Royalty Owners Association, Member
- Texas Bar Association
- "Discovery of Seismic & Geophysical Data: Issues and Opportunities," State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section Report, Volume 35 (03/2011)
- "The Production of Seismic Data: E-Discovery, Trade Secrets, Confidentiality & Other Selected Issues," State Bar of Texas, 25th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law (10/2007)
- "The Legal Principles Affecting Contractual Liabilities When Oil & Gas Properties Are Assigned; Does Seagull Energy E&P, Inc. v. Eland Energy, Inc. Reflect the Common Law?" State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section Report. Volume 32 (09/2007)
- "Preferential Rights," Oil and Gas Investor (10/2006)
- "The Legal Principles Affecting Contractual Liabilities When Oil & Gas Properties Are Assigned," 20th Annual Energy Law Institute. South Texas College of Law (11/08/07)
- Panel speaker on preferential rights, "Hart Energy Publishing and IPAA Land and Royalties Conference," Denver, Colorado (11/2006)