J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1983
B.S., Louisiana State University, 1980
United States District Court Southern, Northern and Western Districts of Texas
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
Board Certified, Business Bankruptcy Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
American Board of Bankruptcy Certification
John Higgins is a partner in the bankruptcy section and litigation practice group of Porter Hedges. He has represented clients for over 30 years in numerous workouts and Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in Texas and across the country. Mr. Higgins' practice focuses on corporate reorganization, restructuring, acquisitions and litigation. He has extensive experience in representing entities in their Chapter 11 cases and/or out of court restructurings, creditors' committees, Chapter 11 and 7 Trustees, institutional and corporate creditors and directors and officers. His practice also includes general civil litigation in both federal and state courts.
Mr. Higgins is a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy, an honorary professional and educational association of the leading bankruptcy and insolvency professionals from around the country. He is also listed as one of America's leading lawyers in bankruptcy/restructuring by Chambers USA, has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law since 2004, and has been listed as a recommended corporate restructuring/bankruptcy lawyer by The Legal 500 since 2013. He has been named "Lawyer of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America in 2013, 2015 and 2018 for bankruptcy law. Mr. Higgins was also listed as one of the state's leading lawyers in the Insolvency and Restructuring practice by Who's Who Legal: Texas in 2007 and 2008. Mr. Higgins has been selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers since 2003, Super Lawyers Business Edition since 2011, and Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition in 2009 and 2010. These surveys have also named him as one of the Top 100 lawyers in the State of Texas in 2007 and 2009 and in the Houston Area since 2005.
Mr. Higgins serves on the board of directors of the Turnaround Management Association (Houston chapter) and was the President of the Houston Chapter in 2013. He has served as an adjunct professor of bankruptcy law at the University of Houston Law Center and is a Certified Mediator (Attorney-Mediator Institute, January, 1996).
- Debtor's counsel in the Chapter 11 cases of Philip Services Corporation, Continental Air Lines, Inc. (Continental I), General Homes Corporation (I and II), Community Health Computing Corp., Equalnet Communications Corp., TransCom USA Management, Inc., Texas Development Investors, Ltd., Contour Energy Co., Doctors Hospital 1997, LP., Easy Gardener Products, Ltd., and numerous others.
- Representation of former officers and directors of Lyondell Chemical Corporation in the defense of fraudulent conveyance and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Representation of secured creditors and debtor in possession lenders in the reorganizations of Dunhill Resources, Inc., Star Resources, Inc., Crutcher-Tufts Resources, LP, TEC Resources LLC, Resource Technology Corp. and numerous others.
- Representation of Equus Capital Management Corp. and affiliates as the postpetition lender and purchaser of substantially all of the assets in the Chapter 11 cases of Reliant Building Products, Inc., et al.
- Representation of numerous purchasers of assets including the bankruptcy cases of Enron Corp., Calpine Corp., Mirant Corporation, Transcoastal Marine Service, Inc., Encompass Services Corp. and TIC United.
- Counsel for the Chapter 11 trustee of the estates of Premiere Holdings of Texas, L.P. d/b/a Money Mortgage, Ltd. d/b/a Lapin & Wigginton, Ltd., MMCOA, LP and Lapin & Wigginton Funding, L.P.
- Counsel for Bridgeline Holdings, L.P., Contour Energy Co., and numerous other entities in the Enron Corp., et al.; and Entergy New Orleans, et al. bankruptcy cases.
- Counsel for CenterPoint Energy, Inc. in numerous bankruptcy cases.
Representation of several energy companies in the Reichmann Petroleum Corp. and Freedom Pipeline, LLC bankruptcy cases.
- Counsel for numerous creditors in the reorganization cases of Rand Energy, Tri-Union Resources, Stages Stores, Inc., American Homestar, Pioneer Resources and Encompass Services Corporation.
- Representation of major energy company in connection with pre-filing and postpetition bankruptcy case of PG&E Corp., US Gypsum and LTV Steel.
- Representation of Liquidating Trustees in numerous cases including Jeff Compton as the Liquidating Trustee of McGinnis Partners Focus Fund, L.P., Russia Value Fund, LP, and McGinnis Global Fund, Ltd., W. Steve Smith as the Liquidating Trustee of Allied International Sales Corp.
- Served as Chapter 11 Trustee in several Chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of Plaintiff in an antitrust case involving the telecommunications industry.
- Representation of Defendant in a breach of contract and negligence case in the national gas pipeline industry.
- Representation of individuals in securities fraud action brought by the SEC.
- Representation of clients In re: National Gas Commodities Litigation.
- Representation of an ad hoc group of homeowners and club members in the Chapter 11 cases of Utah 7000, LLC, et al.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- American College of Bankruptcy, Fellow
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated Attorney
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Woodlands Bar Association, Member
- University of Houston Law Center Alumni Association, Board of Directors (1999-2001) and Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Commercial Law League of America, Member
- Turnaround Management Association, Board of Directors and Member
- "Houston-based oil field services co. completes acquisition of local seismic data co.’s assets," Houston Business Journal (07/26/18)
- "PetroQuest Energy works with counsel to tackle upcoming cash interest cost spike," Debt Wire (07/24/18)
- "Neighbors Emergency Centers Files Chapter 11," The Deal (07/12/18)
- "Houston-based seismic data co. files for Chapter 11, plans to sell assets to another local co." Houston Business Journal (06/27/18)
- "Seismic Data Co. Files Ch. 11, To Be Bought By Competitor," Law360 (06/27/18)
- "Stone Energy Corporation Announces Auction Results for Sale of Appalachia Properties" Stone Energy Press Release (02/08/17)
- "Latham Tapped for Two 'Prepack' Energy Bankruptcies," The American Lawyer (12/15/16)
- "PetroQuest Energy Announces Second Quarter 2016 Results," PetroQuest Press Release (08/01/16)
- "Houston Bankruptcy Law Firms Beef Up to Handle Uptick of Energy Bankruptcies," Houston Business Journal (07/08/16)
- "Porter Hedges Advises Vantage Energy in Asset Purchase," The Texas Lawbook (06/03/16)
- "Milagro Oil & Gas Ch. 11 Plan Gets Green Light from Judge," Law360 (10/08/15)
- "Milagro Gets Green Light For White Oak Restructuring Pact," Law360 (08/18/15)
- "Milagro Oil Gets Interim Approval Of $15M DIP," Law360 (07/17/15)
- "Milagro Hits Ch. 11 With Plans For $217M White Oak Deal," Law360 (07/16/15)
- "Energy GCs: More M&A, JVs, IPOs Expected in 2014," The Texas Lawbook (01/23/14)
- "Porter Hedges Partner Named a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy," The Texas Lawbook (01/08/14)
- Porter Hedges Named Among Leading Bankruptcy Law Firms in Houston by the Houston Business Journal (11/29/13)
- "Exco, BG Group sell JV interests to Azure Midstream," The Deal Pipeline (10/17/13)
- "V&E, Porter Hedges and Baker Botts Advise in $910 Million Transaction," The Texas Lawbook (10/17/13)
- “Law360 Ranks Largest Energy Practice Groups,” Law360 (02/10/12)
- "Business Bankruptcies: Filings Down, but Workload Isn't," Texas Lawyer (07/19/11)
- "363 Sales: The Frequent Sine Quo Non of Chapter 11 Cases," 43rd Annual Southeastern Bankruptcy Law Institute (03/31/17)
- "Deep In The Heart Of Texas: How Complex Oil and Gas Cases Have Been Handled in the Sourthern District of Texas," 12th Annual TJOGEL Symposium (02/09/17)
- “Climbing Out of the Holes We’ve Drilled: Reorganizing E&P Oilfield Service Companies,” University of Texas 34th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference (11/13/15)
- "Purchasing Assets in Oil & Gas Bankruptcy Cases," Advanced Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Seminar (10/02/15)
- "The Quickest Way to Double Your Money is to Fold it Over: Important Energy Issues, Including § 363, Credit Bidding, Preferential Rights, and Hart-Scott-Rodino," TexasBarCLE: Advanced Business Bankruptcy Seminar (09/09/11)
- "Mediation - When One Judge is Not Enough," The First Bankruptcy Bench/Bar Conference for the Southern District of Texas (11/01/08)
- "Direct Appeal to the Fifth Circuit - A Change to the Bankruptcy Code," Houston Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section (02/27/08)
- "Gas Sales and Purchase Contracts from a Producer's Perspective" (02/21/08)
- "ISDA Master Agreements" (01/17/08)
- "Rule 9019: Compromise of Controversies in Bankruptcy" (02/01/07)
- "Preparing Corporate Defendants for Deposition," Houston Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Committee (10/01/06)
- "Post-Confirmation Issues," Advanced Business Bankruptcy, State Bar of Texas (05/01/06)
- “‘Give It To Me Now – Or Else’: Obtaining and Compelling Discovery, Including Privilege Issues,” Bankruptcy Litigation: Advanced Pre-Trial Practice and Procedure Workshop, State Bar of Texas (01/01/05)
- “Environmental Issues,” Advanced Business Bankruptcy, State Bar of Texas (05/01/04)
- “Witness Preparation: Preparing the Witness for Direct and Cross-Examination,” Bankruptcy Institute, Houston Bar Association (02/01/04)
- Panel Discussion on Debtor in Possession Financing - Debtor’s Counsel, Turnaround Management Association (02/01/04)
- “Selected Pre-Bankruptcy Planning Issues for Corporate Chapter 11 Cases,” Advanced Business Bankruptcy, State Bar of Texas (05/01/02)
- “Creditors’ Committee Rights, Obligations and Duties in Chapter 11 Cases,” Bankruptcy Law Conference, South Texas College of Law (04/01/02)
- “An Analysis of Preferential Transfers,” Bankruptcy Primer for Transaction Lawyers, State Bar of Texas (09/01/00)