Randy King is Co-Chair of the firm’s Energy Section. His practice focuses on a wide range of energy-related projects located onshore, offshore, upstream, midstream, and internationally, including:
- Acquisitions, divestitures, construction, and financing of pipelines, gathering systems, and storage facilities for natural gas, crude oil, condensate, natural gas liquids, and LNG
- Acquisitions and divestitures of producing and non-producing oil and gas properties
- Oil and gas joint ventures and exploration and development programs
- Exploration and development project agreements, including joint operating agreements and COPAS accounting procedures
- Natural gas purchase, sales, and marketing agreements; NAESB agreements
- Natural gas processing and treating agreements, oil and gas transportation agreements, natural gas storage agreements, natural gas supply agreements
- Operating and maintenance agreements for mid-stream facilities
- Production handling agreements
- Master service agreements and IADC drilling contracts
- Hedging, derivative, swap, and ISDA agreements
- Credit support annexes, cash collateral agreements, and letters of credit
- Master setoff and netting agreements
- Reserve-based and mezzanine oil and gas producer and mid-stream financings
- Seismic data licenses and acquisition agreements
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Randy spent 13 years practicing as an independent petroleum landman. His experience included negotiating oil and gas leases, title examination, structuring oil and gas property acquisitions, and exploration transactions. Randy has been a Certified Professional Landman since 1984.
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, Leading Lawyer in Oil & Gas Transactions
The Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer in Oil and Gas Transactions
Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law and Oil & Gas Law
Texas Super Lawyers, Energy & Resources
Houston Business Journal's "Who's Who in Energy"
- Acquisitions, Divestitures and Joint Ventures
- Energy Transactions
- Marketing, Hedging and Derivatives
- Unconventional Resources
- Energy Finance
- Infrastructure Projects
- Project Development
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
- Midstream Oil and Gas
- Oilfield Services / Drilling
- Oilfield Water Supply and Offtake Infrastructure
- Upstream Oil and Gas
J.D., South Texas College of Law, cum laude, 1991
B.S., Stephen F. Austin State University, cum laude, 1972
Randy’s representations include the following:
- A large US-based exploration company in a major Marcellus Shale 15-year development project with another US-based company.
- A Canada-based exploration and production company in a joint venture with a Norway-based exploration and production company in a major Eagle Ford Shale development project.
- A major natural gas storage company regarding numerous acquisitions, construction, and operation of natural gas storage projects in depleted reservoirs, salt domes, and other storage matrices, including the purchase of the Katy Gas Storage Facility (Texas), the Freebird Gas Storage Facility (Alabama), and the Caledonia Gas Storage Facility (Mississippi).
- A US exploration company in an approximate $300 million acquisition of a Permian Basin resource trend acreage from a private US seller.
- A US exploration and production company in a joint venture to develop natural gas and condensate midstream projects with a large US midstream company in the Haynesville and Eagle Ford Shale plays.
- A large US-based exploration company in a deepwater Gulf of Mexico project to "tie back" oil and gas production from Big Bend and Dantzler projects to a Thunder Hawk floating production facility.
- A large US-based exploration company in deepwater Gulf of Mexico project to "tie back" oil and gas production from a Gunflint project to the Gulfstar One floating production system.
- A Spain-based company in the greenfield development of a natural gas storage facility in the US.
- A Canada-based company in the greenfield connection of its Eagle Ford oil and gas production with numerous gas, crude, and condensate transporters, processors, and fractionations.
- Japanese banks investing in a project to add liquefaction to an existing regasification plant on the Texas coast.
- Recognition, 08.19.2020
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and Construction in 2020Recognition, 06.10.2020
- Recognition, 04.23.2020
- Recognition, 09.03.2019
- Recognition, 08.15.2019
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and ConstructionRecognition, 06.06.2019
- Recognition, 05.01.2019
- Porter Hedges Represents Clear Creek Midstream in an Initial $300 Million Capital Commitment from EnCap Flatrock MidstreamFirm News, 01.30.2019
- Porter Hedges Represents WaterBridge Resources LLC in its $200 Million Acquisition of Water Infrastructure Assets from Halcón Resources CorporationFirm News, 12.21.2018
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Recognition, 08.15.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Middle Fork Energy Partners in its $155 Million Acquisition of Uinta Basin Assets from QEP ResourcesFirm News, 07.10.2018
- Firm News, 06.08.2018
- Recognition, 05.04.2018
- Recognition, 09.05.2017
- Recognition, 08.15.2017
- Recognition, 06.02.2017
- Recognition, 05.26.2017
- Firm News, 05.02.2017
- Firm News, 02.21.2017
- Recognition, 12.02.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents Noble Energy in an Exchange Agreement to Separate the Marcellus Joint VentureFirm News, 11.01.2016
- Recognition, 09.06.2016
- Recognition, 08.15.2016
- Recognition, 06.17.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents Vantage Energy in the Successful Bid of $339.5M for Oil and Gas Assets from Alpha Natural ResourcesFirm News, 06.03.2016
- Recognition, 05.27.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents Alaska's Chugach Electric Association in the $152M Acquisition of Interest in Natural Gas Field from ConocoPhillipsFirm News, 04.25.2016
- Recognition, 08.17.2015
- Porter Hedges Receives American Lawyer 2015 Global Legal Award for Global Finance Deal of the Year: Project FinanceRecognition, 07.23.2015
- Recognition, 06.03.2015
- Recognition, 05.19.2015
- Firm News, 02.27.2015
- Energy Practice Co-Chairs Randy King and Bob Thomas Once Again Named to Houston Business Journal’s Who’s Who in Energy ListRecognition, 10.03.2014
- Media Mention, 12.21.2018
- Media Mention, 06.28.2017
- "Deal of the Week: Noble Energy exits Marcellus in $1.2B deal, shifts onshore focus," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 05.05.2017
- Media Mention, 05.03.2017
- Media Mention, 05.02.2017
- Media Mention, 05.02.2017
- Media Mention, 02.21.2017
- Media Mention, 11.02.2016
- Media Mention, 06.03.2016
- Media Mention, 02.09.2015
Houston Bar Association, Member of the Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section
State Bar of Texas, Member
Houston Association of Petroleum Landmen, Member
American Association of Petroleum Landmen, Member
Certified Professional Landman
Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), Member