David Martin represents developers, lenders, borrowers, and other individuals and entities in all areas of real estate and real estate finance, including acquisitions and divestitures, leasing matters, joint venture agreements, entity formation and structuring matters, and construction contract documentation.
He counsels lenders in permanent, bridge and construction financings and represents borrowers in permanent, agency, commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) and mezzanine loans, and in structuring and negotiating preferred equity investments. He also advises investors and developers regarding multi-family housing.
J.D., South Texas College of Law, 2008
B.S.E.C.E., Baylor University, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Minor in Mathematics, 2003
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
David’s representations have included the following:
Commercial Real Estate
- A commercial developer in acquiring approximately 60 acres in Conroe, Texas, with the right to acquire an additional 60 acres, from a bank’s REO portfolio. The transaction included the concurrent sale of a portion of the acquired acreage containing existing improvements to a third party pursuant to a separate purchase and sale agreement, the negotiation of multiple easements for drainage and development purposes, and the review and negotiation of loan documentation for the loan funding the acquisition.
- A multi-family housing developer in acquiring, developing, and financing a new 300-unit, Class A multi-family development (consisting of approximately 270,000 square feet of floor area) in Austin, Texas. The financing portion of the transaction included negotiating a senior construction loan and preferred equity investment.
- A multi-family developer in acquiring acreage on the Grand Parkway for the future construction of a multi-family development. The transaction included negotiating and drafting numerous easements and restrictive covenants.
- A retail developer in acquiring commercial acreage in Fulshear, Texas. The transaction involved concurrently acquiring adjoining land by a grocery store operator, drafting an option to purchase an unused portion of the grocery store site, negotiating numerous agreements with the grocery store operator, negotiating loan documentation for the loan financing the acquisition, and concurrently selling a portion of the acquired land to a third party (with the option to reacquire the land in the future).
- A homebuilder in selling approximately 19-acre commercial tract adjoining a residential development to Costco.
- A national big box tenant in negotiating and drafting multiple leases to execution, including for stores in Greenville, South Carolina; Alexandria, Louisiana; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- A client as sublandlord in negotiating and drafting a sublease for approximately 155,000 square feet in the West Loop of Houston, Texas.
- A client as tenant in negotiating an office lease for approximately 74,000 square feet in the energy corridor of Houston, Texas.
- A client as tenant in negotiating an office lease for approximately 43,000 square feet in the West Loop of Houston, Texas.
- A landlord (retail developer) in negotiating a ground lease in a new retail development with a large commercial bank in Cypress, Texas and in multiple inline leases to national and regional tenants in a new retail development in Fulshear, Texas.
- A commercial bank in $55,000,000 construction loan for the construction and development of a 300-room Delta Hotel and 90,000 square feet of convention and meeting space in Allen, Texas.
- A commercial bank as lender, administrative agent, sole lead arranger and sole bookrunner regarding a $39,750,823 syndicated loan to finance the construction of a new 270 apartment, Class A multi-family development (containing approximately 348,000 square feet of floor area in 15 buildings) outside of Nashville, Tennessee.
- A commercial bank regarding two loans to the same sponsor group for $21,000,000 and $16,600,000 to finance the acquisition and repositioning of two existing, stabilized student housing multi-family assets in College Station, Texas and Waco, Texas.
- A bridge lender regarding a $3,000,000 loan to a student housing developer in College Station, Texas, to finish the build-out of commercial space serving a wake board lake and pool/entertainment venue.
- A multi-family developer client regarding refinancing a construction loan into an $8,500,000 mezzanine loan and a $21,000,000 mortgage loan. The transaction included the restructuring of the project entity into a multi-tiered structure to satisfy lender requirements.
- Firm News, 07.20.2023
- The Houston Business Journal Once Again Names Porter Hedges Among the Largest Real Estate Firms in HoustonRecognition, 06.02.2023
- Firm News, 09.17.2019
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in the Closing of its $45 Million Acquisition of Select Refining Assets from Island Energy ServicesFirm News, 12.20.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in the $45 Million Acquisition of Select Refining Assets from Island Energy ServicesFirm News, 08.30.2018
- Firm News, 01.31.2018
- Firm News, 02.07.2017
- Porter Hedges Real Estate Team Advises Reserve at Shadow Creek Ranch and NewQuest Crosswell on the HealthSouth Corp. New Rehabilitation Hospital in PearlandFirm News, 03.29.2016
- Firm News, 10.14.2015
- Media Mention, 07.25.2023
- Media Mention, 07.24.2023
- "In off-market deal, Long Lake buys 494 acres next to Bridgeland for new community," Houston Business JournalFirm News, 11.16.2022
- Media Mention, 09.17.2019
- Media Mention, 05.07.2018
- Media Mention, 02.09.2018
- "Deal of the Week: Houston industrial services co. acquired by PE firm, merges with Canada co.," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 02.10.2017
- "Another Northward Nudge from Exxon: Building Sold in Crosswell's New Conroe Project," Realty News ReportArticle, 12.29.2015
- Media Mention, 12.22.2015
- Article, 10.23.2015
- Article, 10.21.2015
- Media Mention, 12.04.2014
- "Construction Lending: The Golden Rule," Porter Hedges Construction Lending ProgramSpeaking Engagement, 04.27.2017
State Bar of Texas, Member
Houston Bar Association, Member
Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member