Geoff Schultz represents clients in a wide variety of tax and general corporate matters in both domestic and international contexts. He has represented a diverse range of public and private clients, including companies in the oil and gas, real estate, construction, private equity, financial, chemical, and software industries.
Honors & Recognitions
Super Lawyers, Tax
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1999
B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin, 1996
Geoff’s representations have included the following:
- Business Start-ups: Choice of entity tax and business considerations.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Tax planning and compliance with respect to a wide variety of business combinations, both domestic and international.
- Debt and Equity Financings: Including mezzanine lending and private equity investments.
- Key employee admissions: Structuring admissions of key employees ongoing businesses.
- Company Agreements: drafting limited liability company and partnership agreements, including tailoring complex tax allocation provisions to achieve desired economic results and crafting “tax partnership” provisions for oil and gas ventures.
- Compensation Matters: Planning optimal compensation methods from both employer and employee perspectives, as well as designing plans and awards of restricted stock and membership interests, “profits” interests, incentive stock options, non-statutory stock options, phantom stock plans, and other compensation arrangements.
- Transaction Exit Strategies: Planning through the use of devices such as public offerings, recapitalization transactions, buy-sell agreements, and redemption agreements.
- International Transactions: Structuring and implementing both U.S. inbound and outbound investments and other transactions, as well as advising with respect to international tax compliance issues.
- Alternative Energy: Planning and compliance regarding maximizing cash grants under Section 1603 of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and tax credits under Internal Revenue Code sections 45 and 45J regarding various alternative energy sources, including wind energy, landfill gas, biomass, and nuclear facilities.
- Like-kind Exchanges: Planning and implementing tax deferred like-kind exchanges under Internal Revenue Code section 1031.
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific Holdings in $310M Acquisition of ExxonMobil Billings Refinery and Associated AssetsFirm News, 10.24.2022
- Firm News, 08.10.2022
- Firm News, 06.24.2022
- Firm News, 06.21.2022
- Porter Hedges Represents Azure Midstream Energy in its Sale to Clearfork Midstream, Backed by EnCap Flatrock MidstreamFirm News, 02.23.2022
- Media Mention, 02.22.2022
- Porter Hedges Represents U.S. Physical Therapy in the $63 Million Acquisition of Prevention Services CompanyFirm News, 12.01.2021
- Porter Hedges Represents Private Party in Contribution of Mineral and Royalty Interests to Dorchester MineralsFirm News, 11.30.2021
- Firm News, 11.24.2021
- Firm News, 11.16.2021
- Firm News, 11.10.2021
- Porter Hedges Represents Sage Road Capital in $100M Upstream Acquisition by U.S. Energy Corp. from Multiple SellersFirm News, 10.07.2021
- Firm News, 08.03.2021
- Firm News, 07.19.2021
- Firm News, 07.09.2021
- Porter Hedges Represents Canyon Midstream Backed Redcliff Midstream in its Sale to Tailwater Capital Backed Tall Oak MidstreamFirm News, 03.25.2021
- Firm News, 07.10.2020
- Firm News, 12.11.2019
- Firm News, 09.17.2019
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in the $300M Acquisition of Marcellus Shale Royalty Interests from Range ResourcesFirm News, 07.19.2019
- Firm News, 02.15.2019
- Porter Hedges Represents WaterBridge Resources LLC in its $200 Million Acquisition of Water Infrastructure Assets from Halcón Resources CorporationFirm News, 12.21.2018
- Firm News, 11.15.2018
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in its Strategic Relationship with Continental Resources for the Joint Acquisition of SCOOP & STACK Mineral Rights in OklahomaFirm News, 08.10.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Elevate Midstream in an Equity Commitment of up to $100M from Tailwater CapitalFirm News, 11.08.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Energy Transfer in the Closing of a $2B Sale of a Minority Stake in Bakken Pipeline Project to Enbridge and Marathon PetroleumFirm News, 02.16.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Energy Transfer and Sunoco Logistics in the $2B Sale of a Minority Stake in Bakken Pipeline Project to Enbridge and Marathon PetroleumFirm News, 08.03.2016
- Recognition, 09.08.2015
- Media Mention, 01.25.2022
- "Haynesville Gas Co. Azure Midstream to be Acquired by Newer Fort Worth Venture," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 01.19.2022
- Media Mention, 10.12.2021
- "U.S. Energy Corp. Announces Entry Into Definitive Agreements In Connection With Transformative Acquisitions," U.S. Energy Corp. Press ReleaseMedia Mention, 10.05.2021
- "Tailwater Capital-Backed Tall Oak Midstream II Acquires Redcliff Midstream," Tall Oak Midstream Press ReleaseMedia Mention, 03.24.2021
- Media Mention, 03.23.2021
- "Mayer Brown, Locke Lord, Haynes and Boone, Porter Hedges aid on Macquarie’s Multifuels purchase" The Texas LawbookMedia Mention, 05.12.2020
- Media Mention, 09.17.2019
- Media Mention, 12.21.2018
- Media Mention, 11.15.2018
- Media Mention, 08.10.2018
- Media Mention, 08.08.2016
- Media Mention, 08.04.2016
- Media Mention, 08.03.2016
- "Enbridge Energy Partners, Marathon Petroleum to buy $2B stake in pipeline system," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 08.03.2016
- Media Mention, 08.03.2016
- Publication, 12.20.2017
- Oil & Gas Tax Alert - "Trump's 15% Pass Through Tax Proposal: Say Goodbye to Joint Operating Agreements?"Publication, 05.09.2017
- Publication, 05.08.2015
State Bar of Texas, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Houston Bar Association, Member