Geoff Schultz represents clients in a wide variety of tax and general corporate matters. He has represented a diverse range of public and private clients, including companies in the oil and gas, real estate, construction, private equity, financial, chemical, and software industries.
Honors & Recognitions
Listed, Super Lawyers, 2015
Texas Rising Stars, 2005-2008, 2010 and 2013
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1999
B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin, 1996
Geoff’s representations have included the following:
- Business Start-ups: Choice of entity tax and business considerations.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Tax planning and compliance with respect to a wide variety of business combinations.
- Debt and Equity Financings: Including mezzanine lending and private equity investments.
- Key employee admissions: Structuring admissions of key employees ongoing businesses.
- Company Agreements: drafting limited liability company and partnership agreements, including tailoring complex tax allocation provisions to achieve desired economic results and crafting “tax partnership” provisions for oil and gas ventures.
- Compensation Matters: Planning optimal compensation methods from both employer and employee perspectives, as well as designing plans and awards of restricted stock and membership interests, “profits” interests, incentive stock options, non-statutory stock options, phantom stock plans, and other compensation arrangements.
- Transaction Exit Strategies: Planning through the use of devices such as public offerings, recapitalization transactions, buy-sell agreements, and redemption agreements.
- U.S. Cross-border Transactions: Planning regarding both U.S. inbound and outbound investments and other transactions.
- Alternative Energy: Planning and compliance regarding maximizing cash grants under Section 1603 of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and tax credits under Internal Revenue Code sections 45 and 45J regarding various alternative energy sources, including wind energy, landfill gas, biomass, and nuclear facilities.
- Like-kind Exchanges: Planning and implementing tax deferred like-kind exchanges under Internal Revenue Code section 1031.
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in the $300M Acquisition of Marcellus Shale Royalty Interests from Range ResourcesFirm News, 07.19.2019
- Firm News, 02.15.2019
- Porter Hedges Represents WaterBridge Resources LLC in its $200 Million Acquisition of Water Infrastructure Assets from Halcón Resources CorporationFirm News, 12.21.2018
- Firm News, 11.15.2018
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in its Strategic Relationship with Continental Resources for the Joint Acquisition of SCOOP & STACK Mineral Rights in OklahomaFirm News, 08.10.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Elevate Midstream in an Equity Commitment of up to $100M from Tailwater CapitalFirm News, 11.08.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Energy Transfer in the Closing of a $2B Sale of a Minority Stake in Bakken Pipeline Project to Enbridge and Marathon PetroleumFirm News, 02.16.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Energy Transfer and Sunoco Logistics in the $2B Sale of a Minority Stake in Bakken Pipeline Project to Enbridge and Marathon PetroleumFirm News, 08.03.2016
- Firm News, 09.08.2015
- Media Mention, 12.21.2018
- Media Mention, 11.15.2018
- Media Mention, 08.10.2018
- Media Mention, 08.08.2016
- Media Mention, 08.04.2016
- Media Mention, 08.03.2016
- Media Mention, 08.03.2016
- "Enbridge Energy Partners, Marathon Petroleum to buy $2B stake in pipeline system," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 08.03.2016
- Publication, 12.20.2017
- Oil & Gas Tax Alert - "Trump's 15% Pass Through Tax Proposal: Say Goodbye to Joint Operating Agreements?"Publication, 05.09.2017
- Publication, 05.08.2015
State Bar of Texas, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Houston Bar Association, Member