James Thompson represents public and private companies in a variety of corporate, transactional, and other commercial matters. He focuses on the upstream, midstream, and renewable segments of the energy industry with additional experience in other industries. He is also board certified in Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
James represents the entire spectrum of energy companies and participants – majors, independents, management groups, services companies, and mineral and royalty companies – with respect to assets and projects in over 20 states and in every major basin.
His energy practice includes the following:
- Acquisition, divestiture and financing of upstream and midstream assets
- Joint ventures and exploration and development programs
- Renewable energy projects (carbon capture and sequestration, wind, solar and geothermal)
- Upstream and midstream agreements including farm out agreements, participation agreements, agreements related to seismic data acquisition and licensing, surface and subsurface easements, oil and gas leases, drilling contracts, master service agreements, marketing agreements, and gas, liquids and crude oil purchase, transport, and gathering agreements
- Oil and gas disputes
Honors & Recognitions
The Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer in Oil and Gas Transactions
Texas Super Lawyers, Energy & Resources
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 2001
B.A., University of Texas at Austin, Plan II Honors, 1997
United States District Courts for the Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
James’ representative experience includes the following:
Upstream Energy Transactions
- Undisclosed buyer in its acquisition of upstream assets in the Delaware Basin from APA Corporation for a purchase price of $805 million.
- Black Stone Minerals, L.P. in its $340 million acquisition of mineral and royalty assets in 20 states from Noble Energy, Inc.
- Undisclosed buyer in its acquisition of upstream assets for a purchase price in excess of $250 million.
- Franco-Nevada Corporation in a joint venture with Continental Resources, Inc. to acquire mineral fee and royalties in the SCOOP and STACK (with contribution of approximately $220 million for the acquisition of existing mineral rights owned by a Continental subsidiary and commitment spend up to $300 million over three years to acquire additional mineral rights).
- Franco-Nevada Corporation in the acquisition from Range Resources Corporation of an overriding royalty interest on acreage in the Marcellus Shale (350,000 net lease acres in Washington, Allegheny and Beaver Counties in Pennsylvania) for a gross purchase price of $300 million.
- Black Stone Minerals, L.P. in its $102 million acquisition of oil and gas assets in 20 states from Freeport-McMoRan Oil & Gas.
- Natural Resource Partners L.P. (NRP Oil and Gas LLC) in its $110 million divestiture of oil and gas assets in the Bakken to Lime Rock Resources IV-A, L.P.
- Black Stone Minerals, L.P. in two separate, concurrent sales of mineral and royalty assets in the Permian to Pegasus Resources, LLC (a portfolio company of EnCap Investments) and other undisclosed buyers for a combined purchase price of $155 million.
- Buckhorn Resources in the sale of mineral and royalty assets in the Eagle Ford to Kimbell Royalty Partners, LP for approximately $31.8 million in a 100% equity transaction.
- Franco-Nevada Corporation in a series of acquisitions of oil and gas assets in the Permian Basin and STACK totaling over $350 million.
- Black Stone Minerals, L.P. in a series of acquisitions of oil and gas assets in the DJ Basin, Eagle Ford, Permian Basin, East Texas, and other areas totaling over $300 million.
- Public company regarding the sale of oil and gas assets in the Outer Continental Shelf of the Gulf of Mexico for an undisclosed amount.
- Black Stone Minerals, L.P. in negotiating multiple joint development agreements in East Texas covering multiple counties.
- Japanese energy company regarding the purchase of oil and gas properties in the Gulf of Mexico.
- US oil and gas company regarding the licensing of certain data and in the negotiating a net profits interest covering a prospect in Italy.
Renewable Energy and Other Transactions
- Natural Resources Partners L.P. in a carbon dioxide sequestration agreement with Oxy Low Carbon Ventures, LLC covering approximately 65,000 acres in southeast Texas.
- Natural Resources Partners L.P. in a carbon dioxide sequestration agreement with Denbury Carbon Solutions, LLC covering approximately 75,000 acres in Alabama.
- Black Stone Minerals, L.P. in a transaction with Longroad Energy Holdings, LLC for exclusive access to over 3,000 acres across 12 states for potential large-scale solar development.
- Undisclosed lessor regarding a geothermal lease covering over 10,000 acres.
- Undisclosed solar developer in sale of solar project in Central Texas to undisclosed buyer.
- Undisclosed lessors and lessees on various solar leases in Texas.
- Wind energy company regarding the sale of its wind energy interests in North Texas for undisclosed amount.
- Undisclosed lessor regarding a geothermal lease covering over 45,000 acres.
- Airport infrastructure company and a management group regarding private equity funding and an airport infrastructure project.
- Environmental services company in restructuring and other matters.
- Acquisition of majority stake in healthcare company.
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and Construction in 2023Recognition, 06.09.2023
- The Houston Business Journal Once Again Names Porter Hedges Among the Largest Energy Firms in HoustonFirm News, 04.15.2022
- Firm News, 02.18.2022
- Porter Hedges Represents Private Party in Contribution of Mineral and Royalty Interests to Dorchester MineralsFirm News, 11.30.2021
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and Construction in 2021Firm News, 06.09.2021
- Firm News, 02.18.2021
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and Construction in 2020Recognition, 06.10.2020
- Recognition, 09.03.2019
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in the $300M Acquisition of Marcellus Shale Royalty Interests from Range ResourcesFirm News, 07.19.2019
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in its Strategic Relationship with Continental Resources for the Joint Acquisition of SCOOP & STACK Mineral Rights in OklahomaFirm News, 08.10.2018
- Firm News, 02.01.2018
- Recognition, 09.05.2017
- Recognition, 06.02.2017
- Recognition, 09.06.2016
- Firm News, 03.21.2016
- Media Mention, 08.10.2018
- Media Mention, 11.29.2017
- "Black Stone Minerals, L.P. Announces $340 Million Acquisition of Mineral and Royalty Interests and Private Placement of Cumulative Convertible Preferred Units," Black Stone Minerals News ReleaseMedia Mention, 11.27.2017
- Media Mention, 11.27.2017
- Media Mention, 01.09.2017
- Media Mention, 05.17.2016
Texas Bar Association, Member
Section Council, Houston Bar Association - Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section, Member
Houston Producers' Forum, Member
Texas Independent Producers & Royalty Owners Association, Member
The Arbor School, Board Member
Children's Museum Houston, Board Member