James Thompson leads the Property & Finance Practice Group. He represents a wide spectrum of energy companies and participants, including majors, independents, management groups, oilfield services companies, and royalty owners.
He has represented buyers and sellers in purchasing and selling upstream oil and gas assets (leasehold, mineral fee, royalty) across more than 20 states and in all major basins, including financing and joint venture transactions. His practice includes negotiating all types of upstream and midstream oil and gas-related agreements, as well as renewable energy matters, energy-related disputes, and transactional matters outside of the energy industry. He also represents management groups for private equity-backed energy companies, as well as oil and gas companies in joint ventures for acquiring, exploring, and developing upstream oil and gas assets.
James also assists clients with resolving disputes, including:
- Oil and gas companies and royalty owners in title disputes and disputes regarding executive rights, royalty deductions, development obligations and related matters.
- Oil and gas companies in disputes regarding JOA, exploration, preferential right, AMI, participation, and farmout agreements.
James is board certified in Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Honors & Recognitions
Texas Super Lawyers, Energy & Resources, 2014-2019
Texas Rising Stars, Energy and Natural Resources Law, 2008, 2011-2014
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 2001
B.A., University of Texas at Austin, Plan II Honors, 1997
United States District Courts for the Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
James Thompson’s representations include the following:
Upstream Energy Transactions
- Texas-based MLP in its $340 million acquisition of oil and gas assets in 20 states.
- Canada-based public company in a series of acquisitions of oil and gas assets in the Permian Basin and STACK totaling over $350 million.
- Texas-based public company in its $110 million divestiture of oil and gas assets in the Bakken.
- Texas-based MLP in its $100 million acquisition of oil and gas assets in 20 states.
- Texas-based MLP in a series of acquisitions of oil and gas assets in the DJ Basin, Eagle Ford, Permian Basin, East Texas, and other areas totaling over $300 million.
- Public company regarding the sale of oil and gas assets in the Outer Continental Shelf of the Gulf of Mexico for an undisclosed amount.
- Texas-based MLP in negotiating a joint development agreement in East Texas covering multiple counties.
- Japanese energy company regarding the purchase of oil and gas properties in the Gulf of Mexico.
- US oil and gas company regarding the licensing of certain data and in the negotiating a net profits interest covering a prospect in Italy.
Renewable Energy and Other Transactions
- Wind energy company regarding the sale of its wind energy interests in North Texas for undisclosed amount.
- Negotiation of a geothermal lease covering over 45,000 acres.
- Airport infrastructure company and a management group regarding private equity funding and an airport infrastructure project.
- Environmental services company in restructuring and other matters.
- Recognition, 09.03.2019
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in the $300M Acquisition of Marcellus Shale Royalty Interests from Range ResourcesFirm News, 07.19.2019
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in its Strategic Relationship with Continental Resources for the Joint Acquisition of SCOOP & STACK Mineral Rights in OklahomaFirm News, 08.10.2018
- Firm News, 02.01.2018
- Firm News, 09.05.2017
- Firm News, 06.02.2017
- Firm News, 09.06.2016
- Firm News, 03.21.2016
- Media Mention, 08.10.2018
- Media Mention, 11.29.2017
- "Black Stone Minerals, L.P. Announces $340 Million Acquisition of Mineral and Royalty Interests and Private Placement of Cumulative Convertible Preferred Units," Black Stone Minerals News ReleaseMedia Mention, 11.27.2017
- Media Mention, 11.27.2017
- Media Mention, 01.09.2017
- Media Mention, 05.17.2016
Texas Bar Association
Section Council, Houston Bar Association - Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section, Member
Houston Producers' Forum, Member
Texas Independent Producers & Royalty Owners Association, Member