Joel Goldberg has more than twenty years’ experience in private practice advising clients on energy and infrastructure projects and real estate transactions, and as general counsel to a renewable energy company.
Joel’s energy and infrastructure-related experience includes engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, land rights agreements, offtake agreements, fuel supply agreements, operations and maintenance contracts, energy-related joint ventures, sales and acquisitions; and project financing for power plants, renewable natural gas, gas-to-liquids, and LNG facilities. His power project work includes fossil-fuel, renewable, and waste-derived fuel projects. And within the renewables sector, Joel has worked on more than fifty landfill-gas-to-energy projects and is recognized as a leading authority in all aspects of the development, financing, operation, sales, and acquisition of these types of facilities.
Joel has represented a wide range of clients, including, developers, lenders, REITs, big-box tenants, real estate funds, private equity firms, and institutional investors in complex real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, commercial leases, real estate-based financings, joint ventures, and development.
He also serves as Co-Chair of the TerraLex Energy Practice Group, a global network of more than 150 law firms and 19,000 lawyers.
- Business Planning and Entity Formation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Acquisitions, Divestitures and Joint Ventures
- Energy Finance
- Energy Transactions
- Marketing, Hedging and Derivatives
- Unconventional Resources
- Infrastructure Projects
- Project Development
- Project Finance
- Real Estate
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
- Real Estate Acquisition and Disposition
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Joint Ventures and Partnerships
- Real Estate Leasing
- Real Estate Litigation and Disputes
- Renewable & Alternative
J.D., University of San Francisco, cum laude, 1994
B.B.A., University of Texas, with honors, 1990
Joel Goldberg’s representations include the following:
- Publicly-traded energy company in leasing of 218,000 square feet of office space in The Woodlands to serve as the main office for its Eagle Ford shale development program.
- Major real estate development company in refinancing its shopping mall and office property credit facilities.
- Large REIT in leasing office/retail space for four large Houston-area office complexes.
- Various Houston-based developers in acquiring, developing, and leasing more than 1,000,000 square feet of retail and office space.
- Houston-based developer in acquiring a 46,000 square foot industrial building.
- Large national industrial company in leasing 100,000 square feet of industrial/office space in Houston.
- Developer regarding project development and financing for a gas-to-liquids project in Louisiana.
- Public company in a global joint venture for coal gasification to power plants.
- Private equity fund in comprehensive due diligence for acquiring companies owning two large landfill-gas-to-energy projects and in negotiating EPC contracts for major expansion of both projects.
- Acquirer of four electric power plants in Texas in the redevelopment of the plants.
- Developer in negotiating project documents and bond financing for a 45 MW biomass power generation facility in East Texas.
- Landfill gas-to-electricity developer in all aspects of developing, constructing, and operating over 100 MW of generation facilities, including negotiating and drafting power purchase agreements, development agreements, EPC contracts, interconnection agreements, and O&M agreements.
- Purchaser of a 150 MW portfolio of power projects located across the United States.
- Australian listed fund in its stock purchase of companies owning six landfill gas-fueled plants in the Houston area.
- Purchaser of a company owning an 80 MW combined-cycle power plant in Texas.
- Lender in the sale of 30 MW landfill gas and natural gas fueled plant in Illinois.
- A landowner in negotiating a wind lease for an approximately 1,000 acre property in Texas.
- Purchaser of company owning a 75 MW natural gas fired generation facility in New York.
- Renewable electricity provider regarding project financing for a suite of five electric generation facilities.
Co-Chair, TerraLex Energy Practice Group