Joel Goldberg has over twenty years of experience both as general counsel to a renewable energy company and in private practice advising clients on energy and infrastructure projects and real estate transactions.
Joel’s energy and infrastructure-related experience includes engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, land rights agreements, offtake agreements, RIN, LCFS and other environmental credit transactions, fuel supply agreements, operations and maintenance contracts, energy-related joint ventures, sales and acquisitions, and project financing of power plants, renewable natural gas projects, gas-to-liquids and LNG facilities. His power project work includes fossil-fuel, renewable and waste-derived fuel projects. Within the renewables sector, he has significant experience advising clients on renewable natural gas projects, and is recognized as a leading authority in all aspects of the development, financing, operation, sale and acquisition of these facilities.
Joel also has significant experience in complex real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, commercial leases, real-estate based financings, joint ventures, and development work. He has represented a wide range of clients, including, developers, lenders, REITs, big-box tenants, real estate funds, private equity firms and institutional investors in the real estate sector.
He currently serves as the Practice Group Leader of the Property and Finance Practice Group at Porter Hedges and also as Co-Chair of the Energy & Environmental Practice Group for TerraLex, a global network of more than 150 law firms and 19,000 lawyers.
- Business Planning and Entity Formation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Acquisitions, Divestitures and Joint Ventures
- Energy Finance
- Energy Transactions
- Marketing, Hedging and Derivatives
- Unconventional Resources
- Infrastructure Projects
- Project Development
- Project Finance
- Real Estate
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
- Real Estate Acquisition and Disposition
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Joint Ventures and Partnerships
- Real Estate Leasing
- Real Estate Litigation and Disputes
- Renewable & Alternative
J.D., University of San Francisco, cum laude, 1994
B.B.A., University of Texas, with honors, 1990
Joel Goldberg’s representations include the following:
Energy & Infrastructure
- Developer regarding project development and financing for a gas-to-liquids project in Louisiana.
- Public company in a global joint venture for coal gasification to power plants.
- Owner of existing landfill gas to renewable natural gas project in the add-on installation of carbon capture equipment at the facility and the sale of captured CO2 to an industrial offtaker.
- Private equity fund in comprehensive due diligence for acquiring companies owning two large landfill-gas-to-energy projects and in negotiating EPC contracts for major expansion of both projects.
- Acquirer of four electric power plants in Texas in the redevelopment of the plants.
- Developer of biomass to renewable natural gas facility incorporating carbon capture and sequestration ancillary facility.
- Developer in negotiating project documents and bond financing for a 45 MW biomass power generation facility in East Texas.
- Landfill gas-to-electricity developer in all aspects of developing, constructing, and operating over 100 MW of generation facilities, including negotiating and drafting power purchase agreements, development agreements, EPC contracts, interconnection agreements, and O&M agreements.
- Purchaser of a 150 MW portfolio of power projects located across the United States.
- Australian listed fund in its stock purchase of companies owning six landfill gas-fueled plants in the Houston area.
- Purchaser of a company owning an 80 MW combined-cycle power plant in Texas.
- Lender in the sale of 30 MW landfill gas and natural gas fueled plant in Illinois.
- A landowner in negotiating a wind lease for an approximately 1,000 acre property in Texas.
- Purchaser of company owning a 75 MW natural gas fired generation facility in New York.
- Renewable electricity provider regarding project financing for a suite of five electric generation facilities.
- Publicly-traded energy company in leasing of 218,000 square feet of office space in The Woodlands to serve as the main office for its Eagle Ford shale development program.
- Major real estate development company in refinancing its shopping mall and office property credit facilities.
- Large REIT in leasing office/retail space for four large Houston-area office complexes.
- Various Houston-based developers in acquiring, developing, and leasing more than 1,000,000 square feet of retail and office space.
- Houston-based developer in acquiring a 46,000 square foot industrial building.
- Large national industrial company in leasing 100,000 square feet of industrial/office space in Houston.
- Firm News, 06.24.2022
- Firm News, 11.10.2021
- Firm News, 10.28.2020
- Porter Hedges Pro Bono Team Aids Three Families Affected by Hurricane Harvey Close on New Homes…And More to ComeFirm News, 05.15.2020
- Firm News, 02.27.2015
- "2023 US Congress Preview," TerraLexSpeaking Engagement, 12.13.2022
- Speaking Engagement, 08.04.2022
- "Renewable Fuel and Other Alternative Energy Projects: Financing, Deal Structures, Tax Issues, Regulatory Challenges," Strafford CLESpeaking Engagement, 03.31.2022
- Speaking Engagement, 06.07.2021
TerraLex Energy Practice Group, Co-Chair
Evelyn’s Park Conservancy, Board of Directors, Member