Scott Muehlberger is a partner in our Energy section. His practice focuses on a broad range of upstream and midstream energy transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, and strategic partnership arrangements.
He has extensive experience negotiating purchase and sale agreements, joint venture agreements, joint development and participation agreements, service agreements, and other energy-related documentation. Scott also advises clients on structuring matters and negotiates formation documentation, including limited liability company agreements and partnership agreements. Prior to joining the firm, Scott practiced as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), giving him valuable insight into understanding the financial decisions made by his clients.
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 2009
M.P.A., University of Texas at Austin, 2004
B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin, with high honors, 2004
Scott’s representations have included the following:
Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Independent exploration and production companies regarding the following:
$2.5 billion acquisition of the membership interests of entities which owned oil, gas and pipeline assets in the Permian Basin
$1.275 billion acquisition of Marcellus Shale oil and gas properties
$790 million acquisition of Utica Shale oil and gas properties
$480 million acquisition of Utica Shale oil and gas properties
$475 million acquisition of Utica Shale oil and gas properties
$440 million acquisition of oil and gas properties in the Permian Basin
$400 million divestiture of Utica Shale oil and gas properties
$200 million divestiture of Bakken Shale oil and gas properties
$195 million acquisition of oil and gas properties in Oklahoma
$130 million acquisition of oil and gas properties in the Permian Basin
$50 million divestiture of Bakken Shale oil and gas properties
$45 million divestiture of pipeline assets in Oklahoma
$30 million divestiture of Eagle Ford oil and gas properties and pipeline assets
- Multiple mineral and royalty companies regarding the following:
$340 million acquisition of a diverse set of mineral and royalty interests in 20 states, including Texas, Oklahoma, and North Dakota
$125 million acquisition of mineral and royalty interests in West Texas
$110 million acquisition of mineral and royalty interests in West Texas and New Mexico
$100 million acquisition of STACK mineral and royalty interests
$25 million acquisition of SCOOP and STACK mineral and royalty interests
- A newly formed private equity backed company in acquiring $160 million in Utica Shale oil and gas properties.
- A publicly traded master limited partnership in acquiring pipeline assets located in East Texas from an independent exploration and production company
- An infrastructure investment regarding its acquisition of gas storage facilities and oil and gas assets located in North Texas.
- An international oil and gas exploration and production company in its multi-billion-dollar acquisition of oil and gas assets.
- A group of investment companies in selling a natural gas fired power plant in South Texas.
Other Transactions and General Corporate
- A mineral and royalty company in its strategic relationship with an independent oil and gas company to jointly acquire mineral rights in the SCOOP and STACK oil and gas plays of Oklahoma.
- A private exploration and production company regarding corporate formation and structure.
- A private oil and gas company in a pipeline joint venture.
- A private equity fund in a joint venture involving a West Texas water transport company.
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in the $300M Acquisition of Marcellus Shale Royalty Interests from Range ResourcesFirm News, 07.19.2019
- Firm News, 09.04.2018
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in its Strategic Relationship with Continental Resources for the Joint Acquisition of SCOOP & STACK Mineral Rights in OklahomaFirm News, 08.10.2018
- Firm News, 01.31.2018
- Firm News, 08.21.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Coral Reef Capital in its Acquisition of Viola Oil & Gas Holdings’ Illinois Basin AssetsFirm News, 12.05.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents Vantage Energy in the Successful Bid of $339.5M for Oil and Gas Assets from Alpha Natural ResourcesFirm News, 06.03.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents White Star Petroleum in $200M Acquisition of Shale Assets from Devon Energy CorporationFirm News, 04.20.2016
- Media Mention, 08.10.2018
- Media Mention, 05.07.2018
- Media Mention, 02.09.2018
- Media Mention, 11.29.2017
- "Black Stone Minerals, L.P. Announces $340 Million Acquisition of Mineral and Royalty Interests and Private Placement of Cumulative Convertible Preferred Units," Black Stone Minerals News ReleaseMedia Mention, 11.27.2017
- Media Mention, 11.27.2017
- "White Star Petroleum, LLC Announces Acquisitions Of Mid-Continent Assets And Increase Of Borrowing Base," PR NewswireMedia Mention, 05.21.2017
- "White Star Petroleum, LLC Announces Acquisitions of Mid-Continent Assets and Increase of Borrowing Base," White Star Petroleum Press ReleaseMedia Mention, 03.21.2017
- "White Star Petroleum, LLC Closes on Acquisition of Mississippi Lime and Woodford Shale Assets; Announces Completion of Recapitalization Initiatives and Key Executive Appointments," Yahoo FinanceMedia Mention, 07.01.2016
- Media Mention, 04.21.2016
- Media Mention, 04.21.2016
- Media Mention, 02.09.2015
- Media Mention, 11.25.2014
- Media Mention, 11.13.2014
- Media Mention, 11.12.2014
- Media Mention, 11.12.2014
- Media Mention, 10.30.2014
- Media Mention, 10.29.2014
State Bar of Texas, Member
Houston Bar Association, Member