Stephen Lee is a trial lawyer and leader of the firm's Litigation Practice Group. For the last 25 years, he has represented energy and chemical companies involved in the exploration, production, transportation and processing of refined petroleum products, chemicals, and specialty chemicals. He represents clients in a wide variety of matters, including contract, trade secret, product liability, construction, and employment disputes. He also defends pharmaceutical companies and their employees in product liability matters, including governmental investigations, and advises and represents companies in investigating and defending accident and personal injury claims.
Stephen has worked with exploration and production companies, as well as oilfield service providers, in matters across the country and knows the business challenges across the full spectrum of the energy sector. In addition, through his representation of chemical manufacturers and marketers in a broad spectrum of disputes, he is well versed in the design, operation, and economics of chemical facilities.
Honors & Recognitions
The Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer in Energy Litigation: Oil and Gas
J.D., South Texas College of Law, summa cum laude, 1994
B.B.A., Baylor University, 1991
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
Chemical and Energy
- Represented an exploration and production company against claims arising out of an investment contract.
- Represented an exploration and production company in asserting claims arising out of a Farmout agreement involving properties located in Europe.
- Represented a specialty chemical manufacturer in pursuing claims arising out of a failed compressor, which resulted in significant damage.
- Represented a specialty chemical manufacturer in a technology license dispute, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Represented an exploration and production company in claims arising out of the purchase of oil and gas assets in the Permian Basin.
- Represented an oilfield service company against claims alleging theft of trade secrets and business opportunities.
- Represented an exploration and production company in a case involving damage to a well bore, resulting in several million dollars in damages.
- Represented a specialty chemical manufacturer in a multi-million-dollar international arbitration involving claims for breach of contract arising out of the sale of biodiesel.
- Represented a chemical manufacturer securing a defense judgment and attorney fees in a breach of contract case arising out of the sale of biodiesel.
- Represented a Fortune 1000 ethylene producer securing a multi-million-dollar jury verdict in a case involving a contract for the sale of ethylene.
- Represented a publicly traded styrene monomer producer as lead trial counsel in a multi-million-dollar construction dispute defending claims asserted by a general contractor for lost productivity and extended overhead regarding a large-scale revamp of a styrene plant.
- Represented an ethylene producer in responding to force majeure, loss productivity, extended overhead, and other excess charges by a general contractor regarding a multi-million-dollar construction project to allow feed flexibility in producing ethylene.
- Represented a polyethylene pipe manufacturer in defense against product liability claims filed in federal court in West Virginia.
- Represented an ethylene producer as lead trial counsel in pursuing multi-million dollar claim against a contractor for destroying ethylene furnace tubes while performing work inside the facility.
- Represented an ethylene manufacturer in pursuing claims under a boiler and machinery insurance policy for destruction to tubes in a number of ethylene furnaces as a result of a sudden and unexpected shut-down of the facility.
- Represented an ethylene producer regarding claims against an electrical contractor for damaging ethylene furnace tubes during work on an unrelated project.
- Represented an ethylene producer in pursuing claims against contractor for faulty installation of furnace tubes in multiple ethylene furnaces.
Employment and Trade Secrets
- Represented a Fortune 500 specialty chemical manufacturer in enforcing a non-compete agreement and protecting the company’s trade secrets related to resin coating.
- Represented a Fortune 500 specialty chemical manufacturer as lead trial counsel in obtaining summary judgment dismissing an age discrimination claim arising from the termination of a plant employee.
- Represented a publicly traded specialty chemical manufacturer against a claim by a former employee seeking long-term disability payments.
- Represented a major financial advisory services company as co-trial counsel in successfully defeating theft of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty claims asserted by a bank in a two-week FINRA arbitration.
- Represented a national construction contractor and obtained summary judgment dismissing sexual harassment and hostile work environment claims.
Product Liability and Mass Tort
- Represented former employees of pharmaceutical manufacturers in civil matters throughout the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Represented a manufacturer of cold medicine in PPA litigation in Texas.
- Represented a national insurer in managing a docket of claims and serving as lead trial counsel in several hundred cases throughout Texas involving claims of mold damage in residential structures.
- Represented a national insurer in handling a docket of Hurricane Katrina claims in state and federal court in Louisiana.
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and Construction in 2020Firm News, 06.10.2020
- Firm News, 02.01.2020
- Media Mention, 02.17.2020
State Bar of Texas, Member
Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
Houston Bar Association, Fellow
DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar, Member