J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1997
B.A., magna cum laude, Texas A&M University, 1994
Ray Torgerson is a partner in the litigation practice group of Porter Hedges. His practice focuses on intellectual property disputes involving patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret matters; energy cases representing investors, operators, and services contractors in the upstream and midstream stages; and commercial claims involving breach of contract, personal injury, business torts such as fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. He also has substantial experience in disputes involving partnerships and closely held corporations.
Ray is a seasoned litigator with first-chair and second-chair jury trial experience in both state and federal courts on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants, as well as arbitration before various ADR bodies. He has represented foreign and domestic individuals, public and private corporations, partnerships, and small companies across a number of industries. With more than two decades’ of experience, he has handled a wide array of cases involving environmental, securities, white collar, and construction matters. He also consults for private businesses, often in the energy industry.
In addition, Ray has experience in American Indian law issues, having worked for tribes, organizations, and individual tribal members across the United States on a variety of topics, including sovereignty, jurisdiction, civil rights, and economic development. He taught an American Indian law course at the University of Houston Law Center as an adjunct professor from 2002 to 2007.
- Representation of publicly traded geophysical company in a major patent lawsuit concerning marine seismic survey equipment leading to a four week jury trial.
- Represented the patent owner and leading provider of turbine inlet chilling systems used to cool inlet air into a gas turbine to maximize the gas turbine output across all ambient conditions.
- Representation of the patent owner, a worldwide leader in mobile and wireless printing, in a patent infringement suit involving several patents.
- Representation of major Texas public university against multinational company alleging infringement of patent covering specialty plastics.
- Representation of a leading CD and DVD manufacturer in a patent infringement suit in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Representation of inventors of a device used to enhance the manufacture of electronic circuit boards against a multinational company resulting in a jury verdict of willful infringement following a four week trial.
- Representation of numerous companies and individuals in trade secret disputes involving drilling mud systems, plastic bags, and offshore permitting.
- Representation of owner of several patents in patent case concerning the separation of solids from drilling fluids.
- Representation of a Canadian environmental products company alleging infringement of patents relating to degradable plastic film and the mechanical device used to deposit the film onto a landfill, and the defense of related securities fraud and alter ego counterclaims.
- Representation of a partner in a disputed partnership related to development in the Marcellus Shale leading to a successful jury verdict following a two week trial.
- Representation of an operator and group of working interest owners in a title dispute.
- Representation of the manufacturer of downhole geophysical equipment in a breach of contract action related to a customer's failure to pay in full for seismic cables and defense of claims of fraud and breach of warranty, leading to a favorable jury verdict after a four week trial.
- Representation of publicly traded exploration and production company in a property dispute leading to a bench trial and eventual favorable ruling by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representation of several publicly traded exploration and production company in a variety of matters, including securities and royalty issues.
- Representation of Houston-based oil and gas reserve engineering company defending against claims of securities and common law fraud, negligence, and conspiracy arising out of estimated reserve reports issued by the company.
- Representation of several mezzanine lenders in the oil and gas industry in lawsuits involving alleged lender liability, fraud, and breach of contract claims arising out of disputed financing transactions.
- Representation of companies and individuals in fraud suits involving exploration and development investment funds.
Commercial and General Litigation
- Representation of a secured lender in connection with a for-profit nursing college in an arbitration.
- Representation of a port facility in a Longshore Harbor Workers Compensation Act lawsuit, leading to a one week trial.
- Representation of a major US fireworks distributor pursuing and defending against various commercial claims in two trials.
- Representation of a publicly traded biotechnology corporation in a breach of contract action related to consulting services, leading to a one week trial.
- Representation of a Texas partnership in a breach of contract action related to the sale of pipe to a Russian joint venture whose letters of credit were dishonored when the issuing Russian bank failed, leading to a favorable jury verdict after a one week trial.
- Representation of a publicly traded national retail chain and regional fast food franchises in non-subscriber workers' compensation issues.
- Representation of publicly and privately-held home builders in a variety of construction and breach of contract matters.
- Representation of a large construction materials supplier in a variety of construction, breach of contract, Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and negligence matters.
- Representation of a national architectural firm in commercial disputes and collection matters.
- Representation of a real estate development and home construction company in a negligence action related to a wetland consultant’s failure to timely secure appropriate wetlands permits, leading to a favorable jury verdict after a one week trial.
- Representation of a purchaser of a contaminated parcel in an arbitration involving an indemnity claim from the seller.
- Representation of a dry cleaning company in multiparty litigation accused of violations of CERCLA and the Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act, trespass, and nuisance, leading to a successful summary judgment motion.
Securities and White Collar Crime
- Representation of companies and individuals in connection with Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission investigations.
- Consult with companies investigating FCPA matters.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas, Member of Native American Law Section (Chairman 2007-2009; 2012-2013)
- American Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member of American Indian Law Section
- Texas Minority Council Program Steering Committee, Member (2007-2009)
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Native American Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
Publications and Speeches
- “Ethical Considerations and Malpractice Prevention in an Oil and Gas Practice,” University of Houston Law Foundation – Advanced Oil and Gas Short Course (2008-2009).
- “Ethical Considerations and Malpractice Prevention in an Oil and Gas Practice: An Analysis of Ethical Issues Arising in Oil & Gas Litigation,” University of Houston Law Foundation – Oil, Gas and Energy Law Seminar (2006-2008).
- "Supreme Court Update," State Bar of Texas, American Indian Law Section Annual Conference (01/20/2009).
- "Gender Issues in American Indian Law and Tradition" State Bar of Texas Annual Conference (6/22/2007).
- "Environmental Issues in Construction Litigation," 20th Annual Construction Law Conference, State Bar of Texas (3/2/2007).
- "Encouraging Economic Development in the Indian Community," State Bar of Texas, American Indian Law Section Annual Conference (11/3/2006).
- "Opportunities in American Indian Law," 14th Annual Texas Minority Counsel Program (9/28/2006)
- "American Indian Law 101," State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting (6/16/2006).
- “Civil and Criminal Jurisdiction in Indian Country,” “The Federal Trust Responsibility Owed to Tribes,” and “Trial Advocacy in Tribal, Federal, and State Courts,” National Legal Aid and Defender Association 2003 Substantive Law Conference (University of California at Los Angeles Law School) (7/1/2003).
- “Sword Wielding and Shield-Bearing: An Idealistic Assessment of the Federal Trust Doctrine in American Indian Law (1/1/1996).