Porter Hedges’ patent litigators handle patent cases from pre-suit investigations to filing to resolution. Our attorneys are experienced advocates for both patent owners and accused infringers in a wide variety of technology areas including oilfield equipment, electronic manufacturing devices, wireless communication devices, chemical catalysts, and genetically modified crop plants.
They have represented clients in patent trials before district courts across the country, appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and appeals before the Supreme Court of the United States. Porter Hedges’s patent litigators leverage a deep knowledge of patent law, technical backgrounds, and proven experience to create and implement legally and technically comprehensive litigation strategies for our clients’ cases.
With a focus on complex patent litigation, our patent litigators are adept at breaking down highly technical inventions into understandable components and creating an effective jury presentation using compelling themes that best tell our clients’ stories. Over the past several years, patent litigation has become increasingly complex, with parallel inter partes review proceedings, early patent eligibility decisions, and continuing developments in patent damages law. Our patent litigators have developed creative solutions to confront litigation obstacles and to maximize client resources in this increasingly complex patent litigation environment. During all phases of the litigation, our attorneys are concentrated on delivering the best possible resolution for each unique case and providing comprehensive patent litigation support to in-house counsel and clients.
In addition to patent litigation before district courts, Porter Hedges’s patent litigators have handled post-issuance review proceedings including inter partes review proceedings before the Patent and Trademark Appeal Board. Our attorneys also have substantial experience mediating and arbitrating claims involving intellectual property disputes and counseling clients about alternative dispute resolutions.
Trademarks, trade names, trade dress, and service marks are valuable assets that must be protected from unauthorized use. Conversely, businesses using generic, unprotected product names or slogans may also require protection against claims that they have violated others’ trademarks and trade names. Our trademark litigators are experienced in researching and developing evidence to both assert and defend against these types of claims. Our lawyers litigate registered and common law trademark, trade dress, and service mark infringement claims to resolution in state and federal courts, both at trial and on appeal.
- Representation of a provider of systems and methods for cooling the inlet air for power gas turbines in a patent infringement suit involving four patents in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Representation of seismic equipment manufacturer as defendant in a patent infringement suit involving five patents related to marine seismic survey equipment in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Representation of a Canadian mobile printing company as plaintiff in a patent infringement suit involving four patents related to mobile printing systems and methods in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Representation of international manufacturer of power and automation technologies as defendant against breach of license and patent infringement claims.
- Representation of a leading CD and DVD manufacturer defending against a patent infringement allegations brought in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
- Representation of individual inventors of a device used to enhance the manufacture of electronic circuit boards in a patent suit against multinational telecommunications companies in the U.S. District Courts for the Western District of Texas and Southern District of Texas.
- Representation of a manufacturer of ultrasonic gas measurement devices against claims of patent infringement.
- Representation of a major U.S. university in a patent infringement suit against multinational companies related to specialty plastics in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
- Representation of a major oil company accused of infringing a patent relating to a metallocene catalyst used to manufacture specialty plastics.
- Representation of a Canadian environmental products company defending against patent infringement and other state law allegations related to degradable plastic film and the mechanical device used to deposit the film onto a landfill.
- Of Counsel
- Firm News, 03.16.2020
- Firm News, 06.06.2019
- Porter Hedges Grows Litigation and Intellectual Property Practices with New Of Counsel Erin VillaseñorFirm News, 01.15.2019
- Media Mention, 06.12.2019
- "Porter Hedges in Houston announced that Miranda Jones joined the firm as a new patent litigation partner," Texas LawyerMedia Mention, 06.10.2019
- Media Mention, 06.07.2019
- Publication, 06.14.2016
- Publication, 05.26.2016
- Publication, 01.13.2016
- "Apportioning Patent Damages for Solution Products," Intellectual Property Owners Damages and Injunctions Committee CLESpeaking Engagement, 03.2020